gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:01:15 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This is it: The best single disc Beach Boys comp ever released  (Read 3094 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2017, 08:56:57 AM »

Okay, let's do this. Some of you may point to Endless Summer, for historical reasons or because of Steve Hoffman, others may prefer something a bit more comprehensive. As much as I like the obvious hits, I don't really need to hear things like "I Get Around" or "Fun Fun Fun" on a comp. They are everywhere. No, I like to go a bit deeper, without sacrificing quality.

"Warmth of the Sun" arrived in the mail today, and besides the thrill of some new mixes, the really startling thing here is the quality control: not hit after hit after hit, but still one masterpiece after another. Not too deep, but not too obvious either, just right. "Warmth of the Sun" is considered a follow-up, a companion piece, to "Sounds of Summer", aimed at the casual fan who needs a bit more. And of course, completists like myself. There is something for the laymen, something for the fans, three decades of songs, and everybody's happy.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 09:01:31 AM by GoogaMooga » Logged
hapman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 10:05:35 AM »

Would be a perfect compilation without California Dreamin' on it. Also, this one has the best sounding Surf's Up I've heard on CD.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:26:16 AM »

Would be a perfect compilation without California Dreamin' on it. Also, this one has the best sounding Surf's Up I've heard on CD.

I love their take on California Dreamin'. It doesn't top the original, but it has an interesting arrangement, with superior guitar playing. That cover is the main/only reason why collectors would want "Made in the USA".
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:27:23 AM by GoogaMooga » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 10:28:34 AM »

I feel like ‘California Dreamin’ is one Beach Boys song that could desperately use a remix. Ditch those horrendous drums, put some tasteful strings in the background and you’ve got a really beautiful cover.

And OP, I totally agree. This comp has everything for any kind of fan.

One of my first albums by these guys was a comp called ‘Summer Love Songs’ and the inclusion of Denny’s ‘Lady (Fallin In Love)’ made me realize this band went beyond the sound of sunshine harmonies - really got me intrigued to hear more from this band, and I’d imagine that The Warmth Of The Sun comp has that same effect on people.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 11:32:27 AM »

I feel like ‘California Dreamin’ is one Beach Boys song that could desperately use a remix. Ditch those horrendous drums, put some tasteful strings in the background and you’ve got a really beautiful cover.

And OP, I totally agree. This comp has everything for any kind of fan.

One of my first albums by these guys was a comp called ‘Summer Love Songs’ and the inclusion of Denny’s ‘Lady (Fallin In Love)’ made me realize this band went beyond the sound of sunshine harmonies - really got me intrigued to hear more from this band, and I’d imagine that The Warmth Of The Sun comp has that same effect on people.

A good idea, however it might be considered slightly revisionist to effectively change the sound of a released song like that. Could be a project for the Mike Love band!
KDS
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 12:27:02 PM »

Im a huge fan of the WOTS comp.  I initially bought it when I was a casual fan as the V2 to Sounds of Summer, and it included All Summer Long, 409, and Little Honda.  It was a slower burn, but when I started to really get into the band, I found myself listening to it alot. One complaint, they included an edit of Cool Cool Water, which takes away the great vocal intro, which is IMO the best part of the song. 
KDS
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 12:29:32 PM »

I love their take on California Dreamin'. It doesn't top the original, but it has an interesting arrangement, with superior guitar playing. That cover is the main/only reason why collectors would want "Made in the USA".

Its probably my favorite post 1960s BB cover.  Even the 80s tastic sax solo.  Love it.  The ultra serious video though is unintentionally hilarious. 
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 01:04:23 PM »

I just listened to California Dreamin' again. It's true, the drums are brash, the bass drum is dominant, and the beat is faster, or at least more forceful. But somehow it fits, from the first thundercrack till the drums kick in, it works. A  faithful cover would not have been as exciting, or even necessary.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2017, 01:30:20 PM »

I just listened to California Dreamin' again. It's true, the drums are brash, the bass drum is dominant, and the beat is faster, or at least more forceful. But somehow it fits, from the first thundercrack till the drums kick in, it works. A  faithful cover would not have been as exciting, or even necessary.

Totally agree about the faithfull cover. I should add that I can listen to and enjoy the California Dreamin cover, but I do think it could’ve been better without the reverb heavy drums.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 01:56:01 PM »

This is one of my favorite compilations, but the inclusion of Why Do Fills Fall In Love is very out of place, especially as sequenced. Cotton Fields would have been a far more appropriate choice.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 02:46:17 PM »

I always go back to this one

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx