gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 02:45:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Q: best historical analysis of Good Vibrations?  (Read 1763 times)
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 07, 2017, 02:36:29 AM »

Dear people,

I'm currently obsessed with Good Vibrations. I'm listening to every session en reading every snippet of information about this big cultural achievement.
There's of course a lof of ground to cover (PSS and TSS boxsets, various dvd's and books), but they all seem to focus on a small portion of the GV-timeline.
I want more.

Is there a complete overview of the recording proces of GV? What's the best book on this subject? I really like c-man's website and sessiongraphy in TSS-book, that's my favourite source of information for GV

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 04:32:51 AM »

At the moment I don’t have access to them, but I believe two books that would help you out immensely are:

- Smile: The Untold Story of Brian Wilson’s Masterpiece by Domenic Priore. I believe there is an entire chapter devoted to the making of Good Vibrations. Some of this book is, understandably, looked down upon because of some false information in its pages; but the information that is BS is pretty obvious (Beatles stealing ideas from Smile for Sgt Pepper) and the info on GV is solid.

- Inside the Music of Brian Wilson by Philip Lambert. There may be less information on this song in this book than the above one, but I would bet the information regarding GV in this would be indispensable to you. For this book Lambert picks apart every song Brian wrote from the very beginning to Smile, meticulously discusses the musical theory behind these songs.

I will update later today when I have access to my books to double check if those books would be solid help to you. In the meantime I’m sure there are a lot of threads on the this website that have some great information on this song.

Edit: writing this down mostly for me to remember to find it, but I think the booklet that came in the Pet Sounds Sessions boxset has a small section on Good Vibrations. That booklet is one of the greatest sources of information (on Pet Sounds) one could have as a fan.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:36:27 AM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 05:38:09 AM »

Thanks! I do have the first book you recommend and the PS BOX-booklett, I will revise them later!

Still need to find that book by Lambert, it's pretty price on Amazon!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 06:07:03 AM »

Yeah, last I checked it was pretty expensive. I think it became classified as a textbook of sorts and thus the price increase.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 06:16:59 AM »

Luckily, I found it in a library I have access to!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx