gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 11:21:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Name an oldie you wish they had covered  (Read 1953 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2017, 08:35:34 AM »

They covered a fair number of them, and made them their own, but is there any oldie you wish they had covered, but never did?

How about Down in the Willow Garden, by Everly Bros.?
Don't think they could top it, but it's good for stacked harmonies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp_ivMnp0lM
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 09:00:40 AM »

Mr. Postman by the Marvelettes.

I would’ve loved to have heard Brian tackle that backing track 15 Big Ones style, Al and Carl on those high harmonies, Brian could sing a gruff ‘76 lead vocal.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 09:02:19 AM »

They covered a fair number of them, and made them their own, but is there any oldie you wish they had covered, but never did?

Beautiful! I need to get into more Everly Brothers.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 09:22:21 AM »

Beautiful! I need to get into more Everly Brothers.

Yes, as you may know, Brian and Mike were big fans of Everlys. In their youth they'd go for a nighttime drive and Everlys would come on, on the AM dial. They'd pull over, and just sit there, and listen intently.  And of course, later they covered Devoted to you, on the Party album.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 09:32:19 AM »

One of the best songs on that Party! album too. Any albums of theirs you'd recommend?

GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 09:38:00 AM »

Songs our Daddy Taught us, contains that song, Down in the Willow Garden - it's all traditionals, the most beautiful thing they ever recorded.

Otherwise, any Cadence or Warner stuff, really.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 09:51:40 AM »

Many people cite "Roots" as one of the Everly's best, and Phil Everly referred to "Pass the chicken & listen" as his favorite iirc. For the start a nice greatest hits collection should be fine, I guess. Or maybe this 4 disc set:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartaches_and_Harmonies

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
theradiantradicchio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 11:01:37 AM »

Day By Day by The Four Freshmen! And I don't know why, but I'm always thinking about how beautiful Brian would sound singing Angel Baby by Rosie & The Originals, put that with a new arrangement and harmonies and you'll get heaven.

And definitely agree with you about the Everlys. Songs Our Daddy Taught Us is one of my favourite albums of all time.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 12:27:28 PM »

Thanks all for the album recommendations! Will listen to some albums asap.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 11:55:11 PM »

Many people cite "Roots" as one of the Everly's best, and Phil Everly referred to "Pass the chicken & listen" as his favorite iirc. For the start a nice greatest hits collection should be fine, I guess. Or maybe this 4 disc set:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heartaches_and_Harmonies
I got Roots years ago, but it never grabbed me the way their hits did. "Pass The Chicken & Listen" was better than I expected - their last album before the split. Some good Nashville pickers on that one, and it's got a better sound than the one before it, the much hyped "Stories We Could Tell".
Of course, you can't go wrong with any of the Cadence stuff, or the early 60's stuff on Warners.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx