gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:51:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weezer  (Read 3826 times)
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2017, 04:42:40 AM »

Just sitting back this morning and recalled a song by Weezer,  Beach Boys.  Anyone else enjoy this one.  Turn it up it's he Beach Boys are some of the lyric's .
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 05:58:17 AM »

Just sitting back this morning and recalled a song by Weezer,  Beach Boys.  Anyone else enjoy this one.  Turn it up it's he Beach Boys are some of the lyric's .

Hi, wa1. Yes, good stuff.

Weezer's "Jamie" also mentions The Beach Boys:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GklFvth4VcA

They're just two songs in a list of ninety-three I've accumulated whose lyrics include "TBB" (sometimes without the "The"):

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/beachboysforum/songs-that-mention-the-beach-boys-t663-s40.html#p17640
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:00:11 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:13:45 AM »

Rivers is and has long been a huge Brian Wilson fan.

The first thing he did with his advance money when Weezer got signed was buy the Good Vibrations box set.  I know because I was there when he brought it home.  He also bought SUNFLOWER on my recommendation (and didn't like it unfortunately).
Luke_Barshack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 07:30:31 AM »

The first thing he did with his advance money when Weezer got signed was buy the Good Vibrations box set.  I know because I was there when he brought it home.  He also bought SUNFLOWER on my recommendation (and didn't like it unfortunately).

There are some playlists on Spotify put together by Rivers that show your influence may have rubbed off on him:

https://open.spotify.com/user/rcuomo/playlist/3vLCOfczt61r9XjjbFFcIo?si=fuy2f4l3Ri2x0lzLCOYCUg
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 08:55:50 AM »

That is a rad story. Too bad he didn't dig Sunflower. He is more a fan of their early sound, I take it?
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 08:57:10 AM »

Weezer's first album has a very obvious tribute to Brian Wilson called "Surf Wax USA". Great  song. I love Weezer.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 11:07:55 AM »

Island in the Sun always made me think of the Beach Boys too

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 11:12:14 AM »

There are clips of Rivers covering God Only Knows and Don't Worry Baby on YouTube.

There is also this clip showing many of the Weezer-Beach Boys similarities. It seems Rivers really liked having photos done with Beach Boys references.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aITqHaYZWFo

theradiantradicchio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 11:18:06 AM »

Such a cool story! Shame about Sunflower, though.
theradiantradicchio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 11:24:37 AM »

Catchy song, I liked it! Wouldn't compare to Weezer's early stuff, though. Specially the first two albums, which are great.

I read Brian's writing an answer song to Rivers, called "I'm a Weezer", but I don't know if that's true.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 11:30:42 AM »

... There is also this clip showing many of the Weezer-Beach Boys similarities. It seems Rivers really liked having photos done with Beach Boys references.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aITqHaYZWFo

Pet Sounds and Pinkerton - "both album titles have 9 letters"  LOL  Wink still, kick ass soundtrack!

Every wave is new until it breaks.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 11:39:32 AM »

Rivers also recorded his cover of Don't Worry Baby in early 1993 before the GV box set was released, and he said he was already into the Beach Boys and getting into analyzing and learning the songs as early as 1992. He also recorded a version of Surfer Girl during this time, but only the DWB cover has come out officially on his home recordings and demos release some time ago.

He cited Brian's melodies as a prime influence on his own writing, aside from the harmonies. When that first "Blue Album" came out, I heard the BW influences right away. Beyond the melodies, it was in that buildup of voices on "Buddy Holly", right before it cuts everything and that guitar lick jumps out before the final choruses. I heard BW all over that.

This year I've been really digging the lesser-known "Christmas With Weezer" EP...not many songs, but it's amazing how some of those carols as done by Weezer and sung by Rivers with his trademark sounds almost sound like he could have written them.  Smiley 

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 12:07:32 PM »

Catchy song, I liked it! Wouldn't compare to Weezer's early stuff, though. Specially the first two albums, which are great.

I read Brian's writing an answer song to Rivers, called "I'm a Weezer", but I don't know if that's true.

I think that story was a parody. If not, then that's beyond cool.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 08:48:03 AM »

Rivers also recorded his cover of Don't Worry Baby in early 1993 before the GV box set was released, and he said he was already into the Beach Boys and getting into analyzing and learning the songs as early as 1992. He also recorded a version of Surfer Girl during this time, but only the DWB cover has come out officially on his home recordings and demos release some time ago.

Yes, GF.  I was in the room when he played "Don't Worry Baby" for us after he had just finished it, on the multitrack cassette deck they had in their tiny garage.  My bass player was his roommate and we were practicing there throughout that 1992-93 period.  It's possible that our Beach Boys obsession (well, mine) rubbed off on Rivers a little but I can't speak to that.  He definitely was fascinated with Brian and when I met him at that time and told the story, it was the closest he ever paid attention to anything I had to say!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:49:01 AM by adamghost » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx