gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:54:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Love You  (Read 6691 times)
Bissonic
Smiley Smile Newbie

Smile is all you need, love helps too

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2017, 06:06:50 PM »

Doesn't The Beach Boys Love You strike you as a continuation of modular composition?

"I wish I was more attractive like Dagless...still one can only dream..."
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 06:19:57 PM »

That's very interesting. Never thought of it that way.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 07:22:07 PM »

Doesn't The Beach Boys Love You strike you as a continuation of modular composition?

Could you further explain what you mean by this? Any discussion about Love You is a great discussion :-)

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 03:19:33 AM »

Could you further explain what you mean by this? Any discussion about Love You is a great discussion :-)

I was about to ask the same thing.

I love this album.

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 03:29:57 AM »

Sounds like a subject I could warm to! Good call, Bissonic.

Oh, and welcome! :=)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 03:56:36 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 04:24:17 AM »

Now that you mentioned, some tracks can be seen as modular. Johnny Carson, Airplane... However, for me it's always been adult version of Pet Sounds. Adult yet child, whereas PS was between those two, young adult.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2017, 09:07:05 AM »

Don't see it as modular.  The songs seem to have been written as complete songs, demo'd that way by Brian, no switching about of parts from one song to the other.  don't know if they were RECORDED modular like Smiley Smile and some of Wild Honey was, recording parts of the song and editing them together rather than performing them all the way through.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2017, 09:11:59 AM »

Don't see it as modular.  The songs seem to have been written as complete songs, demo'd that way by Brian, no switching about of parts from one song to the other.  don't know if they were RECORDED modular like Smiley Smile and some of Wild Honey was, recording parts of the song and editing them together rather than performing them all the way through.

I would agree with this. As much as I'd wished for our new member Bissonic to have kickstarted a 1,000 page discussion thread that would have put the Hoffmannites to eternal shame, I really don't think Love You was constructed in a similar way to SMiLE.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 09:12:51 AM »

The music on Love You is not modular composition.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 09:26:21 AM »

Now that you mentioned, some tracks can be seen as modular. Johnny Carson, Airplane... However, for me it's always been adult version of Pet Sounds. Adult yet child, whereas PS was between those two, young adult.

Agreed. I’ve seen Pet Sounds as the start of a series of albums about Brian’s life:

Pet Sounds - young love
Friends - young adult, has children, starts real life
Love You - 10 years into parenthood but nostalgic about the past
No Pier Pressure - old man, trying to recapture youth with young artists, ends it with a “last song”

I feel like these are 4 of Brian’s most personal albums. Most other albums he did were for something else other than himself, but these four feel like Brian opens up his inner most thoughts, no matter how ridiculous, and shares them with the world.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 09:27:23 AM by rab2591 » Logged

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 09:35:53 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:14:16 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 11:57:38 AM »

Agreed. I’ve seen Pet Sounds as the start of a series of albums about Brian’s life:

Pet Sounds - young love
No Pier Pressure - old man, trying to recapture youth with young artists, ends it with a “last song”

I feel like these are 4 of Brian’s most personal albums. Most other albums he did were for something else other than himself, but these four feel like Brian opens up his inner most thoughts, no matter how ridiculous, and shares them with the world.

Never looked at it like that, but great observation

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 01:06:50 PM »

Pet Sounds - young love

I'd take it back to All Summer Long. Chuck Today in too.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 01:39:32 PM »

Pet Sounds - young love

I'd take it back to All Summer Long. Chuck Today in too.

I think I left it at four albums because it's a more concise "story", but since there are no rules those albums definitely work too. From adolescence to old age.

theradiantradicchio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2017, 09:47:42 PM »

Pet Sounds - young love

Good observation!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2017, 10:51:40 PM »

The Beach Boys Love You is a train wreck. And we can't look away.  Shocked
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2017, 11:20:19 PM »

Pet Sounds - young love

I do see Pet Sounds, Friends, and Love You in that succession. NPP, not so much. From his solo career, BW88 came closest to being another of those biographical records - all IMHO.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2017, 11:46:03 PM »

The Beach Boys Love You is a train wreck. And we can't look away.  Shocked

You'll have a very Lonely Summer........IN HOSPITAL!!

Evil
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2017, 03:01:16 AM »

Pet Sounds - young love

I do see Pet Sounds, Friends, and Love You in that succession. NPP, not so much. From his solo career, BW88 came closest to being another of those biographical records - all IMHO.

Yeah, I can get that...and BW88 sounds more like Love You (I’ve at least always thought it was like Love You part II mostly due to the synths and quirkiness of some songs). But I chose NPP for two reasons:

- because of how honest the song ‘I’m Feeling Sad’ is
- tracks 11-16, from Love to anxiety those songs all seem like Brian is really singing about himself (including the Ruess track where the singer talks about just sitting at a table in a corner on a Saturday night).

With BW88 Brian wasn’t really able to be honest about his life thanks to Landy. But in ‘I’m Feeling Sad’ Brian admits to the whole world that he parks himself in a recliner and feels depressed. Even in the upbeat ‘Sail Away’ he sings about his “so-called life spinning out of control”. Idk, it’s definitely up to the listener, but aspects of NPP feel more autobiographical than BW88.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2017, 11:37:53 AM »

Surely TLOS fits this criterion also?
Oxygen, Goin Home etc
Although Mr B did do much of those lyrics

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2017, 12:26:11 PM »

Surely TLOS fits this criterion also?
Oxygen, Goin Home etc
Although Mr B did do much of those lyrics

I’ve always thought of TLOS being a biography of California, and not really about Brian (excluding MAD, which is one of Brian’s most personal songs).

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2017, 12:38:12 PM »

Any discussion about Love You is a great discussion :-)

Exactly!  Cool Guy

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2019, 05:17:52 AM »

Bumping this Love You thread for the sake of making people aware of this fun little EP with a Love You-connection:

https://surfschooldropouts.bandcamp.com/album/surf-school-dropouts-love-you

"Surf School Dropouts pay homage to the iconic synth sounds of the classic 1977 'Love You' album by the Beach Boys. The EP features four Surf School Dropouts originals rearranged and partly re-recorded for a 'Love You' feel."

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx