gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 08:09:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Noel Gallagher hates Brian Wilson  (Read 19151 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: December 01, 2017, 12:29:04 PM »

Noel Gallagher is the Kanye West of rock

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 01, 2017, 12:39:10 PM »

Billy is the righteous bald dude of EDM...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 01, 2017, 12:39:21 PM »

I recall watching a clip some years ago where he talked about the Beach Boys as the most overrated music. To him that might be the case, but to others it is the opposite. Such is the subjectivity of qualitatively rating music.

He does however come across as very crude individual in the way he targets other artists, quite needlessly I might add.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: December 01, 2017, 12:51:35 PM »

Billy is the righteous bald dude of EDM...

Cool

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2017, 07:37:40 PM »

OSD is a good guy who is nice as hell in person! Smiley
Hug

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2017, 07:47:14 PM »

I can't bring myself to dislike Noel Gallagher. He's been putting down the Beach Boys, along with a bunch of other bands, for years. Decades. But in this case, he counted himself as overrated, along with Brian.

If you've ever seen him interviewed, he's never speaking with anger or bitterness-- at least not as far as I can tell. He's very dry. He knows people love asking him, "What's your opinion of so-and-so" because he always gives a blunt, and sometimes hilarious, answer. To me, his dislike of Brian is the same as other people's. We all know people who think the Beach Boys are corny surfing music and don't listen enough to really hear the complexity or explore the deep cuts. Noel is probably one of those. But he's also more broad minded than his brother, who seems to love straight up rock and roll and nothing else. Noel likes Bacharach. I bet if someone sat him down and played him some of Brian's late 60s/early 70s stuff, he'd admit that it's good, if not great.

By the way, the Gallagher brothers' rivalry is more entertaining than Brian and Mike's. Liam called Noel a "potato," which is hilarious, for some reason. Noel has said Liam is "a man with a fork in a world full of soup."
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 07:51:10 PM by Amy B. » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2017, 07:56:24 PM »

I can't bring myself to dislike Noel Gallagher. He's been putting down the Beach Boys, along with a bunch of other bands, for years. Decades. But in this case, he counted himself as overrated, along with Brian.

If you've ever seen him interviewed, he's never speaking with anger or bitterness-- at least not as far as I can tell. He's very dry. He knows people love asking him, "What's your opinion of so-and-so" because he always gives a blunt, and sometimes hilarious, answer. To me, his dislike of Brian is the same as other people's. We all know people who think the Beach Boys are corny surfing music and don't listen enough to really hear the complexity or explore the deep cuts. Noel is probably one of those. But he's also more broad minded than his brother, who seems to love straight up rock and roll and nothing else. Noel likes Bacharach. I bet if someone sat him down and played him some of Brian's late 60s/early 70s stuff, he'd admit that it's good, if not great.

By the way, the Gallagher brothers' rivalry is more entertaining than Brian and Mike's. Liam called Noel a "potato," which is hilarious, for some reason. Noel has said Liam is "a man with a fork in a world full of soup."

Good points. Like I said in my earlier comments, I think this is the role Noel has been playing with the press (and for the press) because it's become almost a character kind of thing where they expect him to slag off on something. They could ask him about vanilla ice cream, Parliament, Red Stripe, and the Beach Boys and he'd probably give similar answers because that's what he seems to have adopted as a media figure.

I still love the music, the original run from the first few years of Oasis. Nothing will change that. Not a fan of Liam, though.

The Gallagher brothers rivalry was so entertaining that a recording of them arguing during a press interview was pressed as a CD release and actually charted in the UK when Oasis was massively popular. It was called "Wibbling Rivalry", and I'd be hard pressed to find another example of two brothers or even bandmates arguing that got made into an official album release and hit the charts alongside actual albums with music.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2017, 02:12:26 AM »

A recording of them arguing during a press interview was pressed as a CD release and actually charted in the UK when Oasis was massively popular. It was called "Wibbling Rivalry".

If they'd killed each other during the argument,  I'd have purchased it.

Worn out several copies I'd imagine.
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 03, 2017, 06:10:08 PM »

Virginia Woolf, George Bernard Shaw, and Evelyn Waugh are a rogue's gallery?

Would you seriously call this despicable?

No, and that's not what I wrote.

As I said, I don't applaud or think it's wonderful that Woolf, Shaw and Waugh mouthed off like that either (and I sure as hell wouldn't put Noel in their class as an artist!).

My idea of despicable is someone like Richard Wagner who composed brilliant music and yet had some pretty sorry ideas about race. Just because he was a great artist doesn't give him a free pass. Witness the still-linegering reactions to Mike's HOF speech. Would you put him in the same class as Woolf, Shaw and Waugh? Using your argument, I guess so.  

I expect someone in the public eye to try and have a little class when speaking in a public forum about their peers. Is that so hard to understand?

And just for the record, I'm not equating Noel Gallagher with Richard Wagner lest anyone try to play that card.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 06:11:46 PM by GhostyTMRS » Logged
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 03, 2017, 11:42:18 PM »

And just for the record, I'm not equating Noel Gallagher with Richard Wagner lest anyone try to play that card.

Good, I love Wagner!

He is a tricky one though. Best not to view him through a modern lens.
Murray Wilson’s Glass Eye
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 04, 2017, 10:51:08 AM »

My friend studies at music university in Bristol. He recently had a guest speaker who was something to do with promotion at one of the major record labels (I forget exactly what he did).

I had mentioned to my friend a couple of years back that Noel always seems to crawl out of the woodwork and start relentlessly and rather pathetically slagging people off just as his album is about to drop. Not just any people though, it always seems to be the really big stars (remember the beef he had with Ed Sheeran when good old Ed sold about about 30 nights at Wembley or something ridiculous).

Anyway, my friend went to this talk, and he told me afterwards that there was actually something too this. The guy doing the talk told them that Noel has a list of names given to him by his promoter whenever he has a new album coming out. These names are the top 10 biggest artists at that time. He puts the list on his fridge, and ticks them off every time he slags them off on Twitter or whatever.

Sounds almost too bizarre to not be true. Insecure and pathetic. We can take comfort in the fact that despite having an incredible amount of great gossip and potential juicy dirty details Brian could use as a means of selling his records, he has never stopped that low in 50 years, and I’m sure he never will, because he has class. Even when he was 20 stone, trying to give cocaine to his kids, he still had more class than Noel ever has or will have.

But anyway, just thought that was an interesting point to share with you all!
GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 04, 2017, 03:29:04 PM »

Good, I love Wagner!

And finally enough, I actually like Oasis! (well...at least the first three records) and I consider Noel the "smart one". I'd expect Liam to still behave like a child at this late stage in the game but I expect better of Noel.
mike moseley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 05, 2017, 04:09:09 AM »

Even when he was 20 stone, trying to give cocaine to his kids, he still had more class than Noel ever has or will have.

This is obviously complete nonsense.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 05, 2017, 05:39:41 AM »

Good, I love Wagner!

True. Same with Richard Strauss, I suppose. But tricky, as you say.  Cool

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 05, 2017, 01:35:54 PM »

I'll always have some sort of affection for the oasis music I grew up with.

What I've found odd is Noel criticising Brian for not "even" writing his own lyrics or words to that effect; my immediate response to that is did Noel "even" produce his own classic recordings?

A lot of them he did, yes.

I was under the impression that he was only ever a "co producer", during the classic oasis era at least.

Yes. Which means he produced those songs.

Guitarfool does a far better job of expressing what I was trying to get at:

I'd also suggest based on the reality of the situations and history that Brian had what none of the others had in that he was a truly self-contained artist when he was cutting those classic Beach Boys records from 63-67. He wrote, performed, produced, AND arranged those records.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2017, 03:02:45 PM »

I've never been that big into anything Noel has done, minus a few Oasis songs but I was enjoying his new album because it does have a Beach Boys (amongst others) feel to it.

Needles to say his comments have turned me right off.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
theradiantradicchio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2017, 09:08:34 PM »

My friend studies at music university in Bristol. He recently had a guest speaker who was something to do with promotion at one of the major record labels (I forget exactly what he did).

I had mentioned to my friend a couple of years back that Noel always seems to crawl out of the woodwork and start relentlessly and rather pathetically slagging people off just as his album is about to drop. Not just any people though, it always seems to be the really big stars (remember the beef he had with Ed Sheeran when good old Ed sold about about 30 nights at Wembley or something ridiculous).

Anyway, my friend went to this talk, and he told me afterwards that there was actually something too this. The guy doing the talk told them that Noel has a list of names given to him by his promoter whenever he has a new album coming out. These names are the top 10 biggest artists at that time. He puts the list on his fridge, and ticks them off every time he slags them off on Twitter or whatever.

Sounds almost too bizarre to not be true. Insecure and pathetic. We can take comfort in the fact that despite having an incredible amount of great gossip and potential juicy dirty details Brian could use as a means of selling his records, he has never stopped that low in 50 years, and I’m sure he never will, because he has class. Even when he was 20 stone, trying to give cocaine to his kids, he still had more class than Noel ever has or will have.

But anyway, just thought that was an interesting point to share with you all!

This is just pathetic... And, it's actually funny, since he always stated that he repudiates people who benefit from "scandalous news" to sell records. It's quite the point and probably true, but a long time ago he already said he thought The Beach Boys is the most overrated band of all time... So, I believe he brought it up now just to get some kind of buzz over his new album, but truly thinks Brian Wilson's work is rubbish.
theradiantradicchio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: December 05, 2017, 09:29:14 PM »

If Noel Gallagher could just hold Brian's toilet paper, would probably be the closest he'll ever get to something truly good.

This guy has a pretty mediocre career, to say the least. You could save just a few Oasis songs now and then, but that's all. Haven't heard his new album yet, but I'm not sure I want to. He needs to have some classes on how to behave in public and respect other people's work.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 07, 2017, 02:47:13 PM »

If Noel Gallagher could just hold Brian's toilet paper, would probably be the closest he'll ever get to something truly good.

This guy has a pretty mediocre career, to say the least. You could save just a few Oasis songs now and then, but that's all. Haven't heard his new album yet, but I'm not sure I want to. He needs to have some classes on how to behave in public and respect other people's work.

Will never happen, sadly.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx