gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:38:34 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you think is the better song?
Let It Be
Maybe I'm Amazed

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battle of the Songs #2:Let It Be (Beatles) vs. Maybe I'm Amazed (P. McCartney)  (Read 2007 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 30, 2017, 11:11:22 AM »

I'm obsessed with Bob Dylan lately, and it's making me sick that almost every 'battle' I have in mind are Dylan-related ones Undecided

Anyway, here's another battle: Let It Be(The Beatles) vs. Maybe I'm Amazed (Paul McCartney)

I prefer Let It Be (it's actually one of my favorite from later era Beatles), but I think Maybe I'm Amazed had potential to be decided inclusion for Beatles best albums had it been recorded for Let It Be/Get Back/Abbey Road sessions. It's a pity that the song gets omitted from some of the best albums of Paul (like the CD released of All the Best!)

Now, which do you think is the better song? Look forward to seeing how you think.
KDS
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 11:29:54 AM »

I'll go with Let It Be.  Either the single or album version, I'll take both over Maybe I'm Amazed. 

I can be tough on Paul's solo material, but I think Maybe  is a great song.   However, I wish he didn't slow the song down when he plays it in concert.  I much prefer the uptempo studio cut
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 12:38:28 PM »

I've given "Maybe" the vote. I remember exactly where I was and who I was with the first time I heard it. Macca in top form...

That said, I do like "LIB" in both its incarnations (and I'm a fan of what Uncle Phil did with the album as a whole).

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
bluesno1fann
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 03:02:26 PM »

Not huge on both songs, though I’ll admit that Maybe I’m Amazed is quite a ballad and unquestionably a highlight of McCartney’s solo career. So I voted for that
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 09:47:50 PM »

Both are classics; Maybe i'm Amazed is the ultimate ballad that rocks. I guess that will be my choice, and I like the slowed down live version by Wings. Joe English's drumming is so much more dynamic than what Paul did on the studio version; and Jimmy McCulloch adds just that little bit of his own personality to his playing to make me pick his playing over Paul's.
I guess Let it Be was the first power ballad - a pretty, churchy song of peace with a heavy guitar solo in the middle.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 07:37:52 AM »

Confession time - I dislike "Let It Be" but agree with Paul, he usually said right things, when he didn't like that Spector butchered Beatles album.

But, I dislike MIA as well. 2nd time in row disliking 2 songs simultaneously (sorry, Watamushi Tongue). For game's sake, I did choose "Maybe I'm Amazed" - it's tad better than "Let It Be".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 07:42:30 AM »

I've given "Maybe" the vote. I remember exactly where I was and who I was with the first time I heard it. Macca in top form...

That said, I do like "LIB" in both its incarnations (and I'm a fan of what Uncle Phil did with the album as a whole).

I like Phil Spector's production too.   I'm not sure why Paul dislikes it so much.  Especially considering he seems to do a version of Long and Winding Road in concert that's pretty faithful to the album version. 

Apparently, John and George didn't mind as they each got Phil to produce solo albums. 
Scaroline No
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 10:45:41 AM »

Both classic songs. I have to go with Let It Be.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx