gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 05:30:53 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you think is the better version of Mr. Tambourine Man?
Dylan's Version
The Byrds' Version

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Battle of the Songs #1: Mr. Tambourine Man (Bob Dylan vs. The Byrds)  (Read 4779 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2017, 12:49:08 AM »

I haven't made any poll other than Daily BB poll for several months, and never contribute very much for this section of the board, so I thought I'd start something new here.

Here's new series of polls: Battle of the songs. This series is to compare and discuss two comparable songs.

Here, we'll discuss two versions of the popular Dylan song Mr. Tambourine Man: The acoustic version by Bob Dylan himself, which was on his 1965 album Bringing It All Back Home:https://open.spotify.com/track/3RkQ3UwOyPqpIiIvGVewuU
And the electric version by The Byrds, which was their debut single:
https://open.spotify.com/track/5VsiF8C2oe8QbYcxtDTFk2
 (So this is not going to be a battle of the songs strictly speaking, but never mind, it's just for fun Grin)

IMO Dylan's version is much better. That's not only because it's the original, but it exactly captures the feeling of the song, and the vocal is definitely one of his all-time best. (And it's the opener for arguably the greatest side in the history of rock)
On the other hand, The Byrds' version, which is often acclaimed and even rated higher than original on Rolling Stone's 500 all-time greatest songs list, is just lame to me. It's neither rock or folk. It's just something that just couldn't be folk rock, at least to my ears. I admit its historical significance as it opened the door to the era of folk rock, but I don't see its musical greatness unlike their next no.1 single (Turn! Turn! Turn!).

Now, which do you think is the better song? Look forward to your opinions.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 01:16:10 AM by Watamushi(Polly Poller) » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 01:12:13 AM »

As much as I respect the original, The Byrds version is just sublime. Going with that
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 01:32:32 AM »

As much as I respect the original, The Byrds version is just sublime. Going with that

Me too. There are so many Byrds songs I prefer to "MTM" but it still beats the original hands down...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 02:31:12 PM »

Generally speaking I like covers of Dylan's stuff better than Dylan's originals. I find Dylan's singing annoying.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 04:30:28 PM »

I'm torn as I like both versions.
I love The Byrds but in listening to both versions I found their version a bit too polished.
Dylan's is more raw and basic and I prefer it.
Just listened to his performance of it at the 1964 Newport Festival and it was wonderful.

(His voice bothers me a lot less than it used to. Maybe this is due to some of my favorite singers getting older and their vocal quality changing).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 04:31:29 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 07:36:36 PM »

Generally speaking I like covers of Dylan's stuff better than Dylan's originals. I find Dylan's singing annoying.

Same here.
KDS
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 08:42:24 PM »

Same here.

Here too.  The Byrds all the way.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 01:29:30 AM »

Same here.

I'm no fan of Dylan's voice either. I think he was at his most listenable at the time of Blonde on Blonde.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 06:33:10 AM »

Dylan’s version. There’s a live version of him singing this at Newport Folk Festival (if I remember correctly) and it perfectly captures the spirit of the song. Dylan’s voice is the narrator of a modern mystical legend about how music carries us somewhere.

The Byrds version is like they’re trying to be the music Dylan is talking about...but thus it kills the imagination the original song evokes. Sometimes simplicity is key.

Regarding Dylan’s voice. Man I used to hate it. My dad would listen to Bob Dylan on road trips and my young ears would cringe when I heard that voice. But one day, years and years later, it just clicked for me; there was conviction in that voice, like a confident presence telling us about the world he sees. That sounds corny as hell, but that’s the way I see it. I really don’t know what made me not dislike his voice, but I’m really glad I can now enjoy his songs.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 06:20:07 PM »

Can't stand the Byrds version - it's very stupid, the abominable shaky wimpy lead vocal, intro, the whole thing. By default it's going to be my choice since I don't like Dylan's voice AT ALL. But technical answer would be "Neither".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2017, 07:55:45 PM »

Can't stand the Byrds version - it's very stupid, the abominable shaky wimpy lead vocal, intro, the whole thing. By default it's going to be my choice since I don't like Dylan's voice AT ALL. But technical answer would be "Neither".

Interesting.... have you ever listened to a live version of the song from the 80s with Gene Clark handling the lead vocals? Personally I much prefer his vocals over either McGuinn's or Dylan's
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2017, 08:18:47 PM »

I like Clark's voice, yes. Would like to check it. Pass, Rei, the link. police

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 08:33:34 PM »

I like Clark's voice, yes. Would like to check it. Pass, Rei, the link. police

Here it is. Musically I prefer the Byrds version but vocally I'd take this any day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HXa3wfzWKQ
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 02:08:55 AM »

LOL

KDS
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 05:48:15 AM »

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the similarity of the Byrds superior version of MTM to Don't Worry Baby. 
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2017, 07:29:09 AM »

I'm surprised nobody has brought up the similarity of the Byrds superior version of MTM to Don't Worry Baby. 
The Byrds apparently took the idea of the song's construction from DWB.
KDS
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2017, 07:30:19 AM »

The Byrds apparently took the idea of the song's construction from DWB.

I think David Crosby mentioned that before, that they basically took the backing track and guitar riff from DWB. 
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2017, 09:14:31 AM »

I voted for Dylan's version.

I listened to the Byrds' Mr. Tambourine Man and Turn! Turn! Turn! albums a lot in high school (I had the double-LP release). Initially, I was probably more familiar with the Byrds' versions of Dylan songs than I was the originals. With that said, my time listening to the Byrds was relatively short-lived and I'm surprised to notice now how poor the lead vocal is. For my money, Dylan sings it better. I get that a decent amount of people don't like Dylan's voice and others simply think he's not a good singer, but I like his voice and most of his singing at least through Desire (1976). I'm glad that both of these versions exist, though. I'm a fan of both and they are quite different, occupying their own space.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2017, 11:21:18 PM »

Same here.

I'm no fan of Dylan's voice either. I think he was at his most listenable at the time of Blonde on Blonde.
That surprises me, because if it's the way he uses his voice (as opposed to just it's natural timbre), I think BOB finds him almost parodying himself. If someone tells me "that guy can't sing", I usually put on Nashville Skyline. I think he sounded his absolute best on the run of albums from Planet Waves to Desire.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 10:39:24 AM »

Both are great, but the Byrds' version is one of THE iconic classic rock recordings of its era. McGuinn took the Hard Day's Night guitar sound and made it completely his own and that is the thread that runs through the Byrds' MTM.  Bob's version is awesome, but I'm a sucker for McGuinn's guitar (he and Michael Nesmith are the reason why I bought my first 12 string guitar), him singing Bob songs, and David Crosby's gorgeous tenor harmony singing. So, I will have to go with the Byrds.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 09:43:55 PM »

Both are great, but the Byrds' version is one of THE iconic classic rock recordings of its era. McGuinn took the Hard Day's Night guitar sound and made it completely his own and that is the thread that runs through the Byrds' MTM.  Bob's version is awesome, but I'm a sucker for McGuinn's guitar (he and Michael Nesmith are the reason why I bought my first 12 string guitar), him singing Bob songs, and David Crosby's gorgeous tenor harmony singing. So, I will have to go with the Byrds.
I like both, but if I have to choose, it's Bob's - because he does the whole song.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx