gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:15:56 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: On first seeing the back cover of Holland  (Read 5000 times)
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2017, 06:15:43 PM »

Wondering if you happened upon Holland in the record store bins back in early '73 and then turned the cover over to see that B&W photo of long haired Brian staring right at you, in a car, looking back...in anger? paranoia?

I will never forget the instant - shock - of it...like catching up with the whole story, all in one image. Couldn't take my eyes off it, trying to read that expression. Unlike any photo of him, before or since.

Recollections?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 06:20:00 PM by PS » Logged
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 06:29:09 PM »

I've only seen used LP copies of Holland . The first thing I always notice about the back cover is the tape pull where the EP used to be (very hard to find with the EP custom picture sleeve still taped to back cover)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 06:41:01 PM by Mike Garneau » Logged
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 07:37:32 PM »

I love Holland but I'm seeing the LP back for the first time. Very interesting that they made a point of identifying each member as 'composer' and 'lyricist'.

Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 09:43:04 PM »

one thing odd i found about the back of the version I have (and maybe all the pressing i'm not sure) it lists ricky and blondie as composers on "we got love" despite the fact that it isn't on the album. I know it was supposed to be but were the covers pressed before Sail On, Sailor (or was it funky pretty? I can't remember) was added to the album
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 11:06:12 PM »

Wondering if you happened upon Holland in the record store bins back in early '73 and then turned the cover over to see that B&W photo of long haired Brian staring right at you, in a car, looking back...in anger? paranoia?

I will never forget the instant - shock - of it...like catching up with the whole story, all in one image. Couldn't take my eyes off it, trying to read that expression. Unlike any photo of him, before or since.

Recollections?

It is an incredibly telling Brian picture. Especially knowing what he was going through in hindsight.

I wonder, at this point in the game, did all the bandmembers have approval over what photos of themselves were used in the album? I tend to doubt that Brian would have been happy with that photo, but who knows.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 11:37:12 PM »

Probably didn't have a whole lot to choose from

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 03:56:52 AM »

It's a very telling picture.

I felt the same way when I bought the Love You LP. I  flipped the album over and when I saw the two pics of Brian and Dennis my heart broke a little. Dennis looked worse, lights on no one home. 15 Big Ones the same thing.

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 07:27:44 AM »

BW at wit's end before the really dark period in his life.... Sad

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 07:57:18 AM »

I love Holland but I'm seeing the LP back for the first time. Very interesting that they made a point of identifying each member as 'composer' and 'lyricist'.

I always assumed that was probably driven by the then recent success of bands like CSNY where everyone was a contributing songwriter with a creative voice of his own. Pretty cool move I think.

Some of those pictures look very casual, like the Dennis photograph. I love that back cover! The Brian pic is fascinating. There are some other photographs roughly from that same era where he looks much happier and less troubled, like the Spring pics with David Sandler, or the American Spring promo shot. Choosing this particular one for the back of Holland goes really well with the whole 'difficult genius'/'genius recluse' thing and maybe that was an intentional move?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 08:16:48 AM »

Brian in that picture looking like The Big Lebowski but the music on Mt. Vernon and Funky Pretty were enchanting to say the least.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 10:30:35 AM »

Brian in that picture looking like The Big Lebowski but the music on Mt. Vernon and Funky Pretty were enchanting to say the least.

And both Brian and Lebowski dissed the Eagles!

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 12:43:20 PM »

The Brian pic is fascinating. There are some other photographs roughly from that same era where he looks much happier and less troubled, like the Spring pics with David Sandler, or the American Spring promo shot. Choosing this particular one for the back of Holland goes really well with the whole 'difficult genius'/'genius recluse' thing and maybe that was an intentional move?

It reminds me of his brief appearance in the video of "California Dreamin'"...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 04:53:16 PM »

I always thought that Al wrote the lyrics for CS-Beaks and CS-California.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 09:09:43 PM »

That pic was taken shortly after Brian got to Holland, a place he really didn't want to go to. This was clearly the time that he just wanted "time to get alone" and was happy letting Carl call the shots. And Carl was going along with Jack Rieley's notions at that time, which involved uprooting everyone and sending them six thousand miles from home.

So Brian was probably in a foul mood after having been pestered and pressured into making the trip--and it's as plain as the glare on his face.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 07:51:57 AM »

The Brian pic is fascinating. There are some other photographs roughly from that same era where he looks much happier and less troubled, like the Spring pics with David Sandler, or the American Spring promo shot. Choosing this particular one for the back of Holland goes really well with the whole 'difficult genius'/'genius recluse' thing and maybe that was an intentional move?

It reminds me of his brief appearance in the video of "California Dreamin'"...

Absolutely! The look on his face is pretty much the same.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 11:04:15 AM »

And Ricky looks like he's yelling at the photographer.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 12:28:05 PM »

He might have been!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 12:42:56 PM »

I think it's really cool. Showing the diverse songwriting abilities inside the group. I also suspect that they thought Holland was a strong album and wanted to highlight the fact that it was not due to Brian compositions only. A way for the Boys to highlight their maturation as composers and musicians not defined by the BW ghost hanging over them at all times. Sad that it didn't last for long.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 02:24:51 PM »

I like the approach of the Holland back cover too. Yeah, it's busy, but still an interesting design and complex to produce given '70s graphic design technology (lots of pasteup and steps there). I appreciate the performance and writing credits very much.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 02:27:06 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 03:52:59 PM »

A political exercise.  Brian has 3.  Then Mike's gotta have 3 too (and he's the collaborator).  Dennis has 2 though, pretty strong for him.  Blondie and Ricky have to share one, but they can have double billing.  Al and Carl only get one.  But Carl possesses the best picture spot and Al gets the biggest picture. 
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2017, 12:08:30 PM »

I think it's really cool. Showing the diverse songwriting abilities inside the group. I also suspect that they thought Holland was a strong album and wanted to highlight the fact that it was not due to Brian compositions only. A way for the Boys to highlight their maturation as composers and musicians not defined by the BW ghost hanging over them at all times. Sad that it didn't last for long.

This is an interesting bit from 1973 where Carl seems to struggle to define Brian's role in the band at the time: https://youtu.be/Nc1Skl4my7w

For me, Holland is an album where everybody's distinctive role in the band became remarkably clear in a way. Think about it - Brian doing his own thing, somewhat estranged from the other guys; Mike singing some stuff about California on top of a backing track that borrows the bass line from one of their big hits; Carl holding everything together and singing beautifully; Al doing his folk/country thing; Dennis writing a standout romantic ballad... It's all there on one album.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx