gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:01:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
jeremylr, Pretty Funky, MDC, barsone (+ 1 Hidden) and 27 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine - 2024 Tour Thread (Plus Archived 2018-2023)  (Read 176044 times)
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: July 29, 2019, 06:10:16 PM »

Al had a "no photos" sign up at his table when I saw him in Minneapolis, but he was there to chat, shake hands, and sign stuff. I kind of regret not bringing an LP with me, but I bought his Postcards album.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 29, 2019, 09:26:06 PM »

That's bizarre. He's done photos at both shows I've seen at this venue. There were a few autograph hounds at the end of the line as I was leaving and it sounded like his wife was refusing the insane number of records they wanted signed but other than that, very chill!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 29, 2019, 09:52:08 PM »

Excellent show from Alan this evening! We got "Luau", "Santa Ana Winds" (YAY!), "Surf's Up" AND the "Mama Says" Wild Honey album spin on "Vegetables" after the regular cut, along with a good chunk of "Don't Fight The Sea" after someone shouted it out...but then it got really abrasive and absurd. I've never understood the fascination with shouting songs out at a performer. They've prepared a show...sit back and enjoy it, reach out before or after if you have a request/idea. Anyway- excellent set of songs and stories from Alan and the band. Meet and Greet afterwards was wonderful too. I got to thank Al for "Santa Ana Winds" and reminded him I requested it last time after the show, he said that I was one of two people there that knew it.  LOL  I also thanked him for "Surf's Up" and he was very modest but I said it's insane to even consider pulling that off with just three guys and he agreed! His wife was taking pictures this time which was a big help, but Matt Jardine was not out for photos this time.

Also, before the show Al and his wife were just strolling around out front of the venue like it was nothing! Got a wave in and then let them be, then he just strolled through the bar while it was half full stopping for high-fives and hellos...he's just such a down to earth, likeable guy. Hope he comes through again next year!

I agree that it was an excellent night.  Al was great, both his singing and playing as well as his storytelling.  The vocal blend of his voice, Matt’s and the other fellow (sorry, am forgetting and am too tired to look it up right now) was really lovely and the acoustic versions of many of the songs really allowed the voices to come through. 

I wouldn’t characterize the song requests as abrasive.  It was all in good fun and I think it’s worth mentioning that the person shouting out “sing one verse” of Lady Lynda the most was Al’s wife herself (she is so nice, by the way, so friendly at the meet and greet).  I think the fact that Matt joked “you guys are a demanding crowd” shows that they just take it in stride. 

It was a great show all around. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: July 31, 2019, 09:24:03 AM »

That's bizarre. He's done photos at both shows I've seen at this venue. There were a few autograph hounds at the end of the line as I was leaving and it sounded like his wife was refusing the insane number of records they wanted signed but other than that, very chill!

I always wonder where and when autograph flippers are making big bank on like Al Jardine or Mike Love autographs. For that matter, theirs nor Brian's are insanely valuable autographs.

Sure, if someone has a stack of old records and gets signatures, I guess it's all pure profit. But all of these guys, in very recent years, have made autographs pretty easily obtainable through a variety of means, including selling autographed items themselves, doing meet and greets (either paid or for free as Al does), signing items that are sold elsewhere (e.g. books), and in some cases signing items via the mail for free.

As for the "no photos" thing, I can only speculate. One possibility is just not wanting to catch a cold or something from fans. Another could be that, as time goes on, "selfies" are replacing the "autograph" as the thing people most want from celebrities. (We've apparently already lost the debate on pointing out how Person A taking a picture of Person B and Person C is literally not a "selfie", but I digress). While some photo ops (either pics taken by fans themselves or by a photographer) are *sold* as part of meet-and-greets, some are still unavoidably "free" if the person allows it. So if someone isn't set up to "sell" photo ops (such as an semi-impromptu post-show meet-and-greet at a club), they may say "no photos" to steer people towards other mementos such as autographed items or CDs, etc. that can be sold.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 31, 2019, 09:46:06 AM »

I won't say all because I didn't see every item, but all the records and photos I saw them carrying already had Mike and Bruce's autograph as well as a few Brian Wilson autographs. I'd imagine they're trying to complete the set and then sell it as signed by "THE BEACH BOYS".
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #305 on: July 31, 2019, 09:50:22 AM »

I won't say all because I didn't see every item, but all the records and photos I saw them carrying already had Mike and Bruce's autograph as well as a few Brian Wilson autographs. I'd imagine they're trying to complete the set and then sell it as signed by "THE BEACH BOYS".

Good point; that would carry an extra premium of course.

The band itself has very rarely sold full group autographs; it was pretty much just C50 and even then they sometimes had trouble at certain gigs on C50 getting items signed by the whole group in time to get it to the merch table (at the show I went to, they had signed group photos but hadn't been able to get the guys to sign any programs).

I have to admit to finding amusing some of the stories of fans awkwardly trying to get Blondie *not* to sign certain stuff at the Brian meet-and-greets (e.g. albums he isn't on). Or, of Brian signing the same thing twice, or one guy singing on top of another, etc.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 31, 2019, 10:08:37 AM »

I have to admit to finding amusing some of the stories of fans awkwardly trying to get Blondie *not* to sign certain stuff at the Brian meet-and-greets (e.g. albums he isn't on). Or, of Brian signing the same thing twice, or one guy singing on top of another, etc.

I wonder if in the history of the band, a band member ever intentionally signed another band member's name, either just for sh*ts and giggles, or just because that other missing band member was on a pee break or something. If we were to add up the amount of cumulative times the band members in The BBs have signed autographs in their lives (it must be in the hundreds of thousands if not more), I'll almost bet it's happened.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 31, 2019, 07:01:14 PM »

Good point; that would carry an extra premium of course.

The band itself has very rarely sold full group autographs; it was pretty much just C50 and even then they sometimes had trouble at certain gigs on C50 getting items signed by the whole group in time to get it to the merch table (at the show I went to, they had signed group photos but hadn't been able to get the guys to sign any programs).

I was quite disappointed to find NO signed group items at the C50 show I attended with the exception of Al's solo CD which I purchased that day. However, before intermission I remember Mike pitching his "buy 10 CD's and an 11th signed" shtick so they must have had some but maybe only for that offer. I've acquired multiple autographs from all living band members mostly from the stage of a concert at its conclusion and with no real force or effort. In fact the only band member I don't have multiple signatures of is Brian. A friend of mine took my C50 meet-n-greet photo into another meet-n-greet they attended and had it signed for me to complete the set.

I'm not fond of purchasing autographs. I see the purpose of possessing it as a proof of interaction with that special person either in a concert setting or a private setting. I don't mind paying to have something signed, but not unless I'm going to be in the room to express my gratitude to the artist and indeed verify it is authentic.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 01, 2019, 03:35:41 AM »

I remember a few years ago when my wife and I were in Big Sur for vacation we found a signed copy of Postcards at one of the Big Sur retail stores. There was a whole bunch of them probably about a mile or two from Al's house. I had had two other copies but figured I'd buy a signed copy anyway, I think waves of love was on it as a bonus track too
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #309 on: August 22, 2019, 11:50:40 AM »

Added two new November California shows to the top post schedule.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #310 on: September 28, 2019, 08:21:42 AM »

I'm not sure if this was posted before. But anyway:

Border Crossings host Larry London sat down with guitarist, vocalist and songwriter Al Jardine who is best known for being one of the founding members of the California-based group The Beach Boys. His most recent solo album, “A Postcard from California” delivers an intimate show full of hits and rarities combined with never-before-heard stories.

Originally published at - https://www.voanews.com/a/4705379.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx02hEvzrkE

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: September 28, 2019, 09:29:14 AM »

I remember a few years ago when my wife and I were in Big Sur for vacation we found a signed copy of Postcards at one of the Big Sur retail stores. There was a whole bunch of them probably about a mile or two from Al's house. I had had two other copies but figured I'd buy a signed copy anyway, I think waves of love was on it as a bonus track too

My wife and I had our honeymoon in Big Sur, 2010 - just ONE WEEK before Al's Postcard performance at the local library - the one with his full band, professionally videotaped but unreleased. I'm still bummed that we hadn't scheduled our trip for a week later instead!
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 28, 2019, 10:32:18 AM »

I'm not sure if this was posted before. But anyway:

Border Crossings host Larry London sat down with guitarist, vocalist and songwriter Al Jardine who is best known for being one of the founding members of the California-based group The Beach Boys. His most recent solo album, “A Postcard from California” delivers an intimate show full of hits and rarities combined with never-before-heard stories.

Originally published at - https://www.voanews.com/a/4705379.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fx02hEvzrkE

"A musical icon - a man who's name you're probably familiar with"

hmm...
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 28, 2019, 01:48:47 PM »

According to a story on Brian and Al in the Morning Call, Al may be changing the name of his solo storyteller shows to something shorter and easier to remember, "Al Jardine’s Endless Summer."

https://www.mcall.com/entertainment/lehigh-valley-music/mc-ent-brian-wilson-wind-creek-event-center-bethlehem-20190924-5cjvq24zb5d3lg6uo2eyvwvdua-story.html

[excerpt]

In addition to playing in Wilson’s band, Jardine and his son also tour as part of a trio. Jardine has released just two solo albums apart from The Beach Boys, that latest being 2010′s “A Postcard from California," but in the trio, he plays largely acoustic versions of Beach Boys songs including “Don’t Worry Baby,” “Surf’s Up” and “God Only Knows.”

“They are so satisfying to hear it in that context, because, you know, I can hear everything, and they can hear me and we’re all -- it’s like a little nucleus, all around that center stage” Jardine says. "So that’s a great feeling in front of a select group of people.

“To me it’s like the old days, when the Kingston Trio were around or any trio -- Peter, Paul & Mary or any trio of any kind. ... It just works. It’s nice to be able to do that."

[...]

Jardine, also 77, says he doesn’t foresee an end to playing music. He even says he’s going to change the name of his solo show to Al Jardine’s Endless Summer -- a reference to The Beach Boys’ last No. 1 disc in 1974.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2019, 01:49:59 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #314 on: September 30, 2019, 02:50:47 AM »

I sort of like the name the Storyteller tour, because it focuses on what the tour really is, telling stories and play ing acoustic versions of great hits. Endless Summer sounds more like a Mike Love Tour to me.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #315 on: September 30, 2019, 02:33:59 PM »

After being stripped of the “BBFF” name starting in 2000, Al always had trouble booking shows without using the BB name (and, for several years there, he was barred from even indicating he was a founding BB member). He did a few more F&F gigs as “Al Jardine Family & Friends Beach Band”, then the Wilson sisters left and he went out and did some gigs as “Al Jardine’s All Star Beach Band” with some other guys on the bill with him. I think it may have been as early as 2003 or so when he did gigs as “Al Jardine’s Endless Summer Band”, and he’s done gigs with variations of that over the years, as well as those “Surf City All Stars” shows where the buyers basically pick extra add-on members buffett-style, with Dean Torrence, David Marks, and Al Jardine available (I’d guess Al was the most expensive add-on of the three).

I think with Al’s current solo club gigs, he’s not even really naming “the band” so to speak, he’s just giving the show a title, and I’d wager “Al Jardine’s Endless Summer” is a bit more marketable. Perhaps Al may be eyeing trying to book slightly larger venues than clubs, perhaps moving up to more small theaters.

While the “Storytellers” format is just fine; I’d be just as happy with a more general “Al” show where he can stretch out and do whatever songs without needing to attach a story to it (not that he neccessarly had a long story for every song on tours thus far).

I’m still guessing Brian may not be booking a super ton of shows in 2020, so it would be cool to see Al get out there and use his voice while people can still enjoy it.  
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 02:38:26 PM by HeyJude » Logged

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: September 30, 2019, 02:39:12 PM »

While the “Storytellers” format is just fine; I’d be just as happy with a more general “Al” show where he can stretch out and do whatever songs without needing to attach a story to it (not that he neccessarly had a long story for every song on tours thus far).

I quite agree. The 'Storyteller' format was fun, and intimate, but IMO the stories themselves were not super memorable, and in a few cases they were told by someone else via video clip or whatever. Of course I'm thrilled to see Al present himself however he wants, and I loved the show last year. But if he wants to jettison that extra stuff and fit half a dozen more songs in I'd be all for it.

Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: September 30, 2019, 05:12:59 PM »

The full interview with Al has been posted at The Morning Call:
https://www.mcall.com/entertainment/lehigh-valley-music/mc-ent-al-jardine-brian-wilson-qa-interview-wind-creek-bethlehem-20190928-pqliw4o56be5pcfda4ogpto6xy-story.html

Here's the relevant part.

LEHIGH VALLY MUSIC: You mentioned the shows that you do with your son. Is that still the “Postcards from California” shows?

Al JARDINE: Yeah, yeah it is. I think we’re going to be beginning to call it a different title -- like ‘Al Jardine’s Endless Summer,’ possibly. But yes, it is the same trio, whatever we call it. It’s out there, it’s active. And I just enjoy doing it because it’s so -- it’s pristine. You can hear all the vocals really clearly.

When you have a small trio like that, it’s so much fun because you don’t need ear monitors [laughs]. You don’t need all that complicated stuff just to hear each other. We can hear each other ‘cause we’re close together on stage, you know? And when you have three people, you can get really tight.

To me it’s like the old days, when the Kingston Trio were around or any trio -- Peter, Paul & Mary or any trio of any kind. You generally have just one or two mics, and it just works. It’s nice to be able to do that with your, well, with Matt and my musical director.

LVM: The music that you’ve done apart from The Beach Boys -- I think you’ve had a couple of solo albums and touring by yourself. How different do you find it working in that type of realm as opposed to the Brian or The Beach Boys?

AJ: Oh, it’s great. I think I just kind of answered that, primarily because of the simplicity of it -- it’s just so easy. For instance, when we do ‘Surf’s Up,’ just to be able to hear Matt, to hear the leads, and then on stage I play acoustic bass. With Brian I don’t play bass, but I get to play bass guitar on a couple of songs like that -- ‘Don’t Worry Baby’ and ‘Surf’s Up’ and ‘God Only Knows,’ things like that, that are so satisfying to hear it in that context. Because, you know, I can hear everything, and they can hear me and we’re all -- it’s like a little nucleus, all around that center stage. So that’s a great feeling in front of a select group of people.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 05:14:57 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: September 30, 2019, 10:14:30 PM »

It might just be me but I prefer the ‘Storytellers’ tag if he is going to stick with the trio model. It’s quite unique and would encourage me to do some research on the act. Anything ‘Endless Summer Beach Band’ in the title is just yet another pretty standard surf group to me.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: October 01, 2019, 06:23:49 AM »

It might just be me but I prefer the ‘Storytellers’ tag if he is going to stick with the trio model. It’s quite unique and would encourage me to do some research on the act. Anything ‘Endless Summer Beach Band’ in the title is just yet another pretty standard surf group to me.

Some may consider it a fine distinction, but it doesn't appear as though he's naming the band. It's not even really a full band. It's basically Al solo with a couple guys supporting him. This new naming convention seems to be simply a title for the tour, like "Something Great from '68" or "12 Sides of Summer Tour", etc.

Here's a flier from an upcoming show:

While this flier doesn't emphasize any "storytellers" element, they could easily call it the "Endless Summer Tour" and then also mention in promotions that Al share stories. Or, maybe Al is eschewing the stories and just doing a regular show as a trio. But I would guess this show is more or less the same as recent shows, with the video/photo component and some stories.  

That all being said, while I think Al in the context of Brian's band, or as presented at his solo/trio shows is much preferable to some of his pre-C50 gigs playing street fairs with pickup bands and/or rented equipment and just doing the hits, even those less substantial shows are quite good. Al's voice is *that good*, I'd still go see him with a less elaborate pick up band, even if he just runs through the surf and car songs and chokes down singing "Kokomo", etc.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 06:25:47 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #320 on: October 01, 2019, 07:50:16 AM »

I like that flyer! How about this picture though?  Grin

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: October 01, 2019, 04:41:00 PM »

I've heard great things about Al's shows. I wish I could travel to see one.

Beyond that, one thing to know about the value of autographs is, the more freebie ones are signed and out there, the less valuable they are. From what I understand, Brian learned that the hard way (or didn't?). I don't think it's cynical when artists refuse to sign. They just know that people who pose as big fans are making $$$ from that signature. They probably all get sick of it. Try to get a Paul McCartney autograph and see what happens.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #322 on: October 02, 2019, 07:26:05 AM »

I think many if not most folks who have been in the business for over half a century can usually do a decent job of sniffing out the *obvious* autograph flippers/resellers. If someone is having you sign one thing, and they seem like an engaged fan, while you can never know for sure, that seems much more legit than someone who turns up with a stack of 20 items for you to sign.

There are cases where some celebrities actually sell essentially their "time" to sit down and sign a butt-load of items (someone posted a video not long ago of Mike seemingly in some hotel room just endlessly signing huge stacks of records), but generally I see no reason for anybody, however famous or valuable their autograph might be, to sign stacks of stuff for people out on the street or at a fan meet-and-greet. Especially the type of meet-and-greet Al does, where he's not like up-charging for it as a "VIP experience" like what they've done at Brian or C50 shows (or Mike shows).

It would indeed be kind of a d*ck move to go to one of Al's post-show signings and ask him to sign *stacks* of stuff. If his wife waved that off, I think that's totally fair.

Al is arguably the easiest autograph out of anybody in the band. He does free signings. He has given away autographed stuff as part of his old fan club back in the early 2000s. He has cheap signed CDs. One apparently has pretty decent luck mailing away for him to send you an autograph.

I'd say a Bruce autograph is probably harder to find than a Brian autograph at this stage. The value/demand balances out of course because there's far less interest in a Bruce autograph. But between officially-sold signed items, store signings, and Brian, especially back in the first decade of the 2000s, doing post-show free signings, a Brian autograph is relatively common. I found an autographed copy of the Gershwin album at a record shop once, just mixed in with all the other $8.99 used CDs.

Mike's relatively easy too. He does about 759 shows per year, and for at least a year or two a bunch of signed copies of his book were floating around shelves all over the US at Barnes & Noble locations.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 07:26:59 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #323 on: November 17, 2019, 03:34:09 AM »

Here's a video promoting this weekend's show:

Founding member of The Beach Boys to perform in Morro Bay

https://www.ksby.com/news/local-news/founding-member-of-the-beach-boys-to-perform-in-morro-bay?fbclid=IwAR0dnbXIEgIZr0icCVV1RSoeSMnjQtoMr7YyIw-ehK3PZ4Tj6xovcUvVrEI

- Jack Rieley
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 17, 2019, 10:42:26 AM »

Does anyone with any insight know how much it costs to book Al for one of these shows? I talked to a local booking organizer at a small concert venue near me which I think would be perfect for Al. He said they looked into it but it would be too expensive for them to get. (They practically act as non-profit.)
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx