gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
643633 Posts in 25718 Topics by 3658 Members - Latest Member: chimp February 16, 2019, 09:38:59 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine - 2018/2019 Tour Thread - Postcards Storytellers Tour  (Read 36546 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 02, 2019, 04:59:58 PM »

Glad to hear you got a chance to connect up with the Jardines!
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 08, 2019, 06:51:54 AM »

I saw the show at the Iridium in NYC last night. Al played a few bars of “Winds of Change” as a hat-tip to Ron Altbach, who was in attendance. And at the end of the show, someone shouted out “Lady Liberty” and Al was like “Oh gosh, who said that” before talking about how that was written with Ron and played a couple of lines of “Lady Lynda.” Al then told a funny story about how Brian is really fond of “Lady Lynda” and always asks Al to sing it to him but whenever Al asks if Brian wants to add it to the show he says no.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 06:52:23 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
RJM
Smiley Smile Associate

Woof!!!

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 08, 2019, 06:59:54 AM »

I saw the show at the Iridium in NYC last night. Al played a few bars of “Winds of Change” as a hat-tip to Ron Altbach, who was in attendance. And at the end of the show, someone shouted out “Lady Liberty” and Al was like “Oh gosh, who said that” before talking about how that was written with Ron and played a couple of lines of “Lady Lynda.” Al then told a funny story about how Brian is really fond of “Lady Lynda” and always asks Al to sing it to him but whenever Al asks if Brian wants to add it to the show he says no.

Ah, man! The BW would totally kick ass playing Lady Lynda! in fact, I am surprised that since Al started touring regularly with Brian, that Lady Lynda was never played during their UK shows.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: February 08, 2019, 12:08:26 PM »

I recall a report of the first "Pet Sounds" tour all the way back 19 years ago in 2000, someone caught some of a soundcheck and noted that randomly, between songs, Brian just started blurting out singing "Lady Lynda", I recall he sang the "Lynda, won't you say that I am your man?".

That was in the midst of the era where Brian, Al, and Mike were all pretty estranged from each other. So Brian does seem to have an affinity for the song. Definitely a bummer that Brian doesn't seem interested in adding it to the setlist. I mean, no offense to Brian (or Al for that matter), but those backing guys do most of the heavy lifting rehearsing new songs. And in that case, it would be Al singing it anyway.

I'd actually be a bit surprised if Al did it with the original lyrics, considering he weirdly amended the song to "Little Lady" on the 1993 UK tour.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 08, 2019, 09:34:18 PM »

Just got back from the Infinity Hall show in Norfolk. I don’t think I can put into words just how incredible everything was. I attended Al’s storyteller show last year in Manhattan and the acoustics of the Infinity Hall are much better in my opinion. The performances by Al, Matt, and Jeff were incredible as always, and I’d actually say this was the best I’ve ever heard them sound. Al flubbed some lines on a few songs but that is expected and part of the charm to be honest. Afterwards Al was available to autograph stuff just like last time. He autographed my Light-Up SMiLE box set and my copy of the Live in Vegas CD (he remarked that he has a box full of them in his house!). I took a few photos during the show, but of particular interest to everyone on this board is that I managed to record Matt, Al, and Jeff performing Surf’s Up! I got goosebumps during the performance. It was incredible.

https://youtu.be/FR_NjODHXUU

Edit: Also forgot to mention that at one point during the show, Al mentioned that the Brian Wilson video biography on his daily life should be released later this year, and then mentioned a new Beach Boys video documentary that might come out in 2020. But even more exciting than that, he hinted that a tour for 2020 may be in the works, and the way he made it sound it certainly sounded like he was hinting at a reunited Beach Boys tour, ala 2012. He didn’t give any specifics, but the way he was acting and how he announced it I can only think that’s what he was hinting at. Guess we will have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:52:26 PM by myonlysunshine » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 08, 2019, 10:33:30 PM »

I think one of the most special things about Al's storytelling shows, is that they really showcase his proficiency as an instrumentalist. In his recent shows he has played Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, String Bass, and Ukulele. He even takes a lot of the signature surf guitar solos normally played by Carl, David Marks, Scott Totten, etc... Really cool to watch. It's obvious that Al is a fantastic singer, and he will always be remembered as one of Rock's finest (especially in old age), but perhaps we need to respect this man's instrumental chops a little more.

Now, I understand that he was no Tommy Tedesco or Glen Campbell, but when you really look at Al's instrumental contributions, many of them are notable. The signature grooving bass line that is the very foundation of Catch A Wave is played by Al. When The Beach Boys rocked the TAMI show in 1964, Al's rhythm guitar really was shining. The way he and Carl looked together to create that driving surf guitar sound is amazing. Al's instrumental contributions are things that often are supportive, and not front and center, but there's something to say about a guy who not only was the rhythm guitarist for one the most popular bands in the world, but also a multi-instrumentalist.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 09, 2019, 07:58:04 PM »

Just got back from the Infinity Hall show in Norfolk. I don’t think I can put into words just how incredible everything was. I attended Al’s storyteller show last year in Manhattan and the acoustics of the Infinity Hall are much better in my opinion. The performances by Al, Matt, and Jeff were incredible as always, and I’d actually say this was the best I’ve ever heard them sound. Al flubbed some lines on a few songs but that is expected and part of the charm to be honest. Afterwards Al was available to autograph stuff just like last time. He autographed my Light-Up SMiLE box set and my copy of the Live in Vegas CD (he remarked that he has a box full of them in his house!). I took a few photos during the show, but of particular interest to everyone on this board is that I managed to record Matt, Al, and Jeff performing Surf’s Up! I got goosebumps during the performance. It was incredible.

https://youtu.be/FR_NjODHXUU

Edit: Also forgot to mention that at one point during the show, Al mentioned that the Brian Wilson video biography on his daily life should be released later this year, and then mentioned a new Beach Boys video documentary that might come out in 2020. But even more exciting than that, he hinted that a tour for 2020 may be in the works, and the way he made it sound it certainly sounded like he was hinting at a reunited Beach Boys tour, ala 2012. He didn’t give any specifics, but the way he was acting and how he announced it I can only think that’s what he was hinting at. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Ya know, history has shown it ain’t a certainty until Al has let slip. (C50 for instance) Let’s see.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 10, 2019, 07:44:39 AM »

Woah, just woke up to see that Al shared my recording of Surf's Up on his Facebook fan page. How cool is that!?

I snapped a few photos at the show as well and even got a photo with Al after he signed my Light-Up SMiLE box set:

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 10, 2019, 11:14:03 AM »

Thanks for posting the video and for the report!  Also, that’s a very cool shirt you’ve got...
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 10, 2019, 12:06:06 PM »

I see someone started a setlist.fm page for the Iridium show a few days back and put up “Winds of Change” and “Lady Lynda” (possibly based on my comment above). If anyone wanted to update it with the full setlist, it was as follows:
1. Surfin'
2. Luau
3. Surfin' Safari
4. Surfer Girl
5. Don't Worry Baby
6. California Girls
7. Sloop John B
8. God Only Knows
9. Winds of Change [brief snippet as a shoutout to Ron Altbach]
10. Good Vibrations
11. Vegetables
12. Surf's Up
13. California Saga: California
14. A Postcard From California
15. Surfin' USA

Encore:
16. Lady Lynda [brief snippet after someone shouted it out]
17. In My Room
18. Help Me, Rhonda

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2019, 12:18:13 PM »

Thanks for posting the video and for the report!  Also, that’s a very cool shirt you’ve got...
I want one...!!!!!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2019, 02:04:17 PM »

Thanks for that great video of Surf's Up. I loved it and also shared it on my Facebook page too.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2019, 03:36:26 PM »

That "columnated ruins domino" -- wow!

This is just lovely.

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2019, 08:23:10 PM »

Just got back from the Shirley, Mass., show. Fantastic. They had some issues with the sound and started over a few songs because of it, but it played with the overall light feel of the show.

Matt Jardine was a highlight. He was incredible on God Only Knows, Good Vibrations and Surf's Up. He sounded as good if not better than he did while singing with The Beach Boys in the 90s. Al also sounded as good as ever.

It's amazing what Al, Matt and Jeff can do with just three voices, two instruments and some percussion.

This was probably my most enjoyable live Beach Boys-related performance since C50, and I've seen multiple performances from Brian and Mike's bands.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx