gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 05:19:02 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine - 2024 Tour Thread (Plus Archived 2018-2023)  (Read 174403 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 02, 2019, 04:59:58 PM »

Glad to hear you got a chance to connect up with the Jardines!
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 08, 2019, 06:51:54 AM »

I saw the show at the Iridium in NYC last night. Al played a few bars of “Winds of Change” as a hat-tip to Ron Altbach, who was in attendance. And at the end of the show, someone shouted out “Lady Liberty” and Al was like “Oh gosh, who said that” before talking about how that was written with Ron and played a couple of lines of “Lady Lynda.” Al then told a funny story about how Brian is really fond of “Lady Lynda” and always asks Al to sing it to him but whenever Al asks if Brian wants to add it to the show he says no.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 06:52:23 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 08, 2019, 06:59:54 AM »

I saw the show at the Iridium in NYC last night. Al played a few bars of “Winds of Change” as a hat-tip to Ron Altbach, who was in attendance. And at the end of the show, someone shouted out “Lady Liberty” and Al was like “Oh gosh, who said that” before talking about how that was written with Ron and played a couple of lines of “Lady Lynda.” Al then told a funny story about how Brian is really fond of “Lady Lynda” and always asks Al to sing it to him but whenever Al asks if Brian wants to add it to the show he says no.

Ah, man! The BW would totally kick ass playing Lady Lynda! in fact, I am surprised that since Al started touring regularly with Brian, that Lady Lynda was never played during their UK shows.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #253 on: February 08, 2019, 12:08:26 PM »

I recall a report of the first "Pet Sounds" tour all the way back 19 years ago in 2000, someone caught some of a soundcheck and noted that randomly, between songs, Brian just started blurting out singing "Lady Lynda", I recall he sang the "Lynda, won't you say that I am your man?".

That was in the midst of the era where Brian, Al, and Mike were all pretty estranged from each other. So Brian does seem to have an affinity for the song. Definitely a bummer that Brian doesn't seem interested in adding it to the setlist. I mean, no offense to Brian (or Al for that matter), but those backing guys do most of the heavy lifting rehearsing new songs. And in that case, it would be Al singing it anyway.

I'd actually be a bit surprised if Al did it with the original lyrics, considering he weirdly amended the song to "Little Lady" on the 1993 UK tour.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 08, 2019, 09:34:18 PM »

Just got back from the Infinity Hall show in Norfolk. I don’t think I can put into words just how incredible everything was. I attended Al’s storyteller show last year in Manhattan and the acoustics of the Infinity Hall are much better in my opinion. The performances by Al, Matt, and Jeff were incredible as always, and I’d actually say this was the best I’ve ever heard them sound. Al flubbed some lines on a few songs but that is expected and part of the charm to be honest. Afterwards Al was available to autograph stuff just like last time. He autographed my Light-Up SMiLE box set and my copy of the Live in Vegas CD (he remarked that he has a box full of them in his house!). I took a few photos during the show, but of particular interest to everyone on this board is that I managed to record Matt, Al, and Jeff performing Surf’s Up! I got goosebumps during the performance. It was incredible.

https://youtu.be/FR_NjODHXUU

Edit: Also forgot to mention that at one point during the show, Al mentioned that the Brian Wilson video biography on his daily life should be released later this year, and then mentioned a new Beach Boys video documentary that might come out in 2020. But even more exciting than that, he hinted that a tour for 2020 may be in the works, and the way he made it sound it certainly sounded like he was hinting at a reunited Beach Boys tour, ala 2012. He didn’t give any specifics, but the way he was acting and how he announced it I can only think that’s what he was hinting at. Guess we will have to wait and see.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:52:26 PM by myonlysunshine » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 08, 2019, 10:33:30 PM »

I think one of the most special things about Al's storytelling shows, is that they really showcase his proficiency as an instrumentalist. In his recent shows he has played Acoustic Guitar, Electric Guitar, String Bass, and Ukulele. He even takes a lot of the signature surf guitar solos normally played by Carl, David Marks, Scott Totten, etc... Really cool to watch. It's obvious that Al is a fantastic singer, and he will always be remembered as one of Rock's finest (especially in old age), but perhaps we need to respect this man's instrumental chops a little more.

Now, I understand that he was no Tommy Tedesco or Glen Campbell, but when you really look at Al's instrumental contributions, many of them are notable. The signature grooving bass line that is the very foundation of Catch A Wave is played by Al. When The Beach Boys rocked the TAMI show in 1964, Al's rhythm guitar really was shining. The way he and Carl looked together to create that driving surf guitar sound is amazing. Al's instrumental contributions are things that often are supportive, and not front and center, but there's something to say about a guy who not only was the rhythm guitarist for one the most popular bands in the world, but also a multi-instrumentalist.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 09, 2019, 07:58:04 PM »

Just got back from the Infinity Hall show in Norfolk. I don’t think I can put into words just how incredible everything was. I attended Al’s storyteller show last year in Manhattan and the acoustics of the Infinity Hall are much better in my opinion. The performances by Al, Matt, and Jeff were incredible as always, and I’d actually say this was the best I’ve ever heard them sound. Al flubbed some lines on a few songs but that is expected and part of the charm to be honest. Afterwards Al was available to autograph stuff just like last time. He autographed my Light-Up SMiLE box set and my copy of the Live in Vegas CD (he remarked that he has a box full of them in his house!). I took a few photos during the show, but of particular interest to everyone on this board is that I managed to record Matt, Al, and Jeff performing Surf’s Up! I got goosebumps during the performance. It was incredible.

https://youtu.be/FR_NjODHXUU

Edit: Also forgot to mention that at one point during the show, Al mentioned that the Brian Wilson video biography on his daily life should be released later this year, and then mentioned a new Beach Boys video documentary that might come out in 2020. But even more exciting than that, he hinted that a tour for 2020 may be in the works, and the way he made it sound it certainly sounded like he was hinting at a reunited Beach Boys tour, ala 2012. He didn’t give any specifics, but the way he was acting and how he announced it I can only think that’s what he was hinting at. Guess we will have to wait and see.

Ya know, history has shown it ain’t a certainty until Al has let slip. (C50 for instance) Let’s see.
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: February 10, 2019, 07:44:39 AM »

Woah, just woke up to see that Al shared my recording of Surf's Up on his Facebook fan page. How cool is that!?

I snapped a few photos at the show as well and even got a photo with Al after he signed my Light-Up SMiLE box set:

marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 10, 2019, 11:14:03 AM »

Thanks for posting the video and for the report!  Also, that’s a very cool shirt you’ve got...
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 10, 2019, 12:06:06 PM »

I see someone started a setlist.fm page for the Iridium show a few days back and put up “Winds of Change” and “Lady Lynda” (possibly based on my comment above). If anyone wanted to update it with the full setlist, it was as follows:
1. Surfin'
2. Luau
3. Surfin' Safari
4. Surfer Girl
5. Don't Worry Baby
6. California Girls
7. Sloop John B
8. God Only Knows
9. Winds of Change [brief snippet as a shoutout to Ron Altbach]
10. Good Vibrations
11. Vegetables
12. Surf's Up
13. California Saga: California
14. A Postcard From California
15. Surfin' USA

Encore:
16. Lady Lynda [brief snippet after someone shouted it out]
17. In My Room
18. Help Me, Rhonda

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 10, 2019, 12:18:13 PM »

Thanks for posting the video and for the report!  Also, that’s a very cool shirt you’ve got...
I want one...!!!!!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 10, 2019, 02:04:17 PM »

Thanks for that great video of Surf's Up. I loved it and also shared it on my Facebook page too.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 10, 2019, 03:36:26 PM »

That "columnated ruins domino" -- wow!

This is just lovely.

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 10, 2019, 08:23:10 PM »

Just got back from the Shirley, Mass., show. Fantastic. They had some issues with the sound and started over a few songs because of it, but it played with the overall light feel of the show.

Matt Jardine was a highlight. He was incredible on God Only Knows, Good Vibrations and Surf's Up. He sounded as good if not better than he did while singing with The Beach Boys in the 90s. Al also sounded as good as ever.

It's amazing what Al, Matt and Jeff can do with just three voices, two instruments and some percussion.

This was probably my most enjoyable live Beach Boys-related performance since C50, and I've seen multiple performances from Brian and Mike's bands.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: February 19, 2019, 12:02:17 PM »

This was posted on Al's facebook account:

In My Room at the Blue Note Napa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1SelSH7gVM&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2zt5GGqIeunaKlYcqFZCschZoVVjEbAHk0v3cCwrQi7hYtm0-OoaIN5Vk

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 26, 2019, 11:29:23 AM »

Al just posted this review of the Infinity Hall show to his Facebook profile:

http://facethemusicjr.wixsite.com/facethemusic/single-post/2019/02/20/Al-Jardine-E280A2-Original-Founding-Member-of-The-Beach-Boys

The article mentions the comments Al made that hint at a potential reunion tour:

“Before wrapping up, Jardine hinted at plans for a Beach Boys reunion in celebration of their 60th anniversary. Whether that will be a tour or televised special remains to be seen. Either way, it will be an event that no Beach Boy disciple should miss.”

I distinctly remember Al using the word “tour” when hinting at a potential reunion. He kept things purposely vague, but the word “tour” was used. My father attended the concert with me and after the show I asked him what his impressions of what Al hinted at were, and he heard and interpreted things exactly as I did. So it wasn’t just me.

Edit: The set list in the article isn’t accurate. Santa Anna Winds was not performed, Surfin’ USA was part of the encore (prefaced by Al, Matt, and Jeff impromptuly performing the intro of Nowhere Man), and Surfin Safari was the song performed after Luau.

Edit 2: Also Surfer Girl was performed after Surfin Safari. The set list was nearly identical to the one “Big Daddy” posted above for the Iridium, minus the two snippets he mentioned got performed at that show and plus the snippet of Nowhere Man I previously mentioned. That, and Surfin’ USA was performed in between In My Room and Help Me Rhonda.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 01:20:57 PM by myonlysunshine » Logged
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 26, 2019, 12:08:44 PM »

60th anniversary?  If they wait that long they might lose one of their members.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2019, 02:00:37 PM »

Well, they could just fudge the math a little bit and do a "60th Anniversary" tour in 2020 or 2021 instead of waiting until 2022.

What they need to start doing NOW if they haven't already is a "Beatles Anthology" style longform documentary. I know a Brian doc is in the works, but we need a full, inclusive history of the band on film. Someone should be getting them in for hours of filmed interviews now, even if they don't have a full doc project ready to go.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 26, 2019, 05:11:22 PM »

The Infiniti show was great!

The BB celebrated their 20th anniversary from 12/31/80 into 81 and their 30th in 91 so 2020-21 is very possible.
rattfink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 27, 2019, 05:52:11 AM »

I went to the second night of the Minneapolis shows... The band was fantastic! Despite the minimalism of a trio, they really brought out the layers and textures well. These guys also all have excellent voices! I would vote Vega-Tables as as the highlight. They really channeled the SS version effectively. Matt also did an excellent Surf's Up. I was lucky enough to meet Al and Matt. They are extremely kind and down to Earth fellas. I really enjoyed speaking with them. Also, Al signed my shirt!
rattfink
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 27, 2019, 05:56:05 AM »

Al just posted this review of the Infinity Hall show to his Facebook profile:

http://facethemusicjr.wixsite.com/facethemusic/single-post/2019/02/20/Al-Jardine-E280A2-Original-Founding-Member-of-The-Beach-Boys

The article mentions the comments Al made that hint at a potential reunion tour:

“Before wrapping up, Jardine hinted at plans for a Beach Boys reunion in celebration of their 60th anniversary. Whether that will be a tour or televised special remains to be seen. Either way, it will be an event that no Beach Boy disciple should miss.”

I distinctly remember Al using the word “tour” when hinting at a potential reunion. He kept things purposely vague, but the word “tour” was used. My father attended the concert with me and after the show I asked him what his impressions of what Al hinted at were, and he heard and interpreted things exactly as I did. So it wasn’t just me.

Edit: The set list in the article isn’t accurate. Santa Anna Winds was not performed, Surfin’ USA was part of the encore (prefaced by Al, Matt, and Jeff impromptuly performing the intro of Nowhere Man), and Surfin Safari was the song performed after Luau.

Edit 2: Also Surfer Girl was performed after Surfin Safari. The set list was nearly identical to the one “Big Daddy” posted above for the Iridium, minus the two snippets he mentioned got performed at that show and plus the snippet of Nowhere Man I previously mentioned. That, and Surfin’ USA was performed in between In My Room and Help Me Rhonda.

Well, I hope this pans out! At the Minneapolis show, Al said that there was something in the works to record/tour a collaboration with Brian's daughters.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 03, 2019, 03:47:56 PM »

Cool reviews. 3D Everybody go see Al if you didn't yet. police

2 poster "myonlysunshine", Reply 257 - it's funny, I don't like Friends album cover but suddenly it looks really fab as fabric print, it's the least sporty/ casual looking hoodie I'd seen, as if it's new mellow trend in hoodie manufacturing. Neat.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: April 10, 2019, 06:17:28 AM »

Added five upcoming shows for 2019. This includes the Rochester HOF induction ceremony (which will presumably feature a short set), two more "Postcards" Storytellers shows, and two "Family & Friends" gigs that he just announced for July that presumably feature a "reunion" of the 1998-2003-ish "Family & Friends" band including Carnie and Wendy Wilson. These shows would, I presume, include a full backline of musicians as well.

chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 18, 2019, 06:58:32 PM »

are we seriously getting a beach boys reunion- do you think brian will be involved, or will it be more like al & david marks joining up with mike n bruce.  or would it be more like 2012 with a mix of brian band and mike band. 
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 18, 2019, 08:39:03 PM »

New date announced on Al's website:
July 24 -- Derry, NH -- Tupelo Music Hall
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx