gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680815 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:58:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
rab2591, Robbie Mac, MDC, FatherOfTheMan Sr101, NOLA BB Fan, STE, Tord, CAFeelin89 (+ 1 Hidden) and 123 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian has been placed in a conservatorship (likely suffering from dementia)  (Read 7441 times)
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2024, 03:38:53 AM »

https://www.azcentral.com/story/entertainment/music/2024/04/21/beach-boys-tour-2024-phoenix/73375362007/

A Mike Love interview with a mention of Brian here

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Toursiveu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2024, 02:26:30 PM »

I saw a great picture of Blondie visiting Brian at home yesterday on Blondie's FB page.
Glad to see that those guys are still friends and that Blondie's still visiting.
Zenobi
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2024, 09:00:41 PM »

Blondie is a great guy.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: Yesterday at 03:20:58 PM »

Not trying to start a Mike thread here, truly, but that article was interesting in that it's fascinating that Mike is still so sour, in fact seemingly *more* sour, on the "That's Why God Made the Radio" album now. I get his gripes, and I don't even disagree with all of them. It would have probably done the project a bit of long-term good to have just placated Mike and had he and Brian write a few tunes "from scratch."

But it's strange to have that specific perspective on that album. It clearly was made the way it was in large part because they didn't have a ton of time to finish it. And it's not as if there aren't other Beach Boys albums with *even fewer* Brian/Mike from-scratch collabs.

It almost feels like Mike is less perturbed that the album ended up with less Brian/Mike from-scratch co-writes, and more upset specifically that he feels like he was promised or strongly led to believe, at some point I guess, that the album would be focused around Brian/Mike co-writes. It's peculiar, because it sure seems like by the time they actual got the record deal, it was clear Capitol was signing them based on the bag of Brian/Joe songs, and also that given the amount of time they had to actually record the album, they would have to use those pre-existing songs as the basis for most of the album.

Again, not trying to inflame or stir the pot. I genuinely find this stuff fascinating, especially in light of things on a number of other fronts being relatively cooled off and amiable between the group members, and in terms of their feelings on individual subjects.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:22:29 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: Yesterday at 03:58:07 PM »

Credit to Mike, he's a professional at these promotional interviews, he sticks to the script most of the time and delivers the same answers consistently. It's not a criticism, but that interview posted above is like a carbon copy of interviews he was giving to promote his shows in 2014, 2015, 2016, and onward. He has his techniques down pat. In fact if someone wanted to, unless the links are dead by now, they could reference interviews from the 2014-2018 period and beyond and compare them, and a lot of it would be similar if not a carbon copy. Like I said, he's a pro at these press calls and has the lines down pat.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Yesterday at 04:07:45 PM »

Yeah I didn’t want to comment, but it’s just crazy to me that at this late in the game he can’t let it go. I completely concede that I’m in the nosebleed section looking down at the situation, but I just can’t believe that Mike is still flummoxed that he wasn’t allowed alone in a room with Brian: Given the context of the plethora of lawsuits that happened relatively recently to this time, if I were Brian’s lawyer(s) I’d be making damn sure that Brian wasn’t alone with the guy who sued him multiple times for millions of dollars. And if I were Mike Love I’d think I’d understand why I wasn’t allowed near the guy I had just sued multiple times.

It is also perplexing that the guy can’t see one good thing in anything Brian has done without him in the last 40 years. He crapped all over Brian’s first solo album, he is still making sure people know he dislikes TWGMTR, his only comment on NPP was that ridiculous autotune comment. Not to mention his diatribes about Brian’s weight and prescription drug regimens. I feel like he’d get a lot more respect/admiration if he didn’t whine about this stuff and instead just let it go.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Yesterday at 04:57:56 PM »

Well here he is giving a direct answer to a specific question so it would be dishonest not to share his true feelings about the period, though it would be nice to also see him recall the more positive experience he reported nearer the time of it feeling like 1965 again in the studio when they were playing back the new material.

As for him being allowed near the guy that he had sued multiple times, that was of course a choice for Brian and his team to make, but if so they shouldn't have misled Mike to believe otherwise, if that was the case.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: Yesterday at 06:20:05 PM »

As for him being allowed near the guy that he had sued multiple times, that was of course a choice for Brian and his team to make, but if so they shouldn't have misled Mike to believe otherwise, if that was the case.

And I think that's the rub, because from everything I've been able to gather, while there were initial discussions far earlier that maybe they’d record an album of oldies, once Mike entered into the actual reunion project, the parameters and plan were most likely pretty set. Brian and Joe Thomas had secured a new album deal based on songs Brian and Joe had written. They had X amount of time to both finish writing and finish recording the album, while also rehearsing for and then conducting a world tour. I don’t know, maybe much *later* in the process, after they had begun work proper on the reunion, somebody told Mike they would set aside time to write with Brian.

There’s also the possibility that what they ended up doing, namely handing Mike partially completed Brian/Joe songs, and having Mike add to or finish them off, constituted “collaboration” for some people. Mike’s got writing credits on four of the twelve songs.

Ironically, what almost surely would have allowed for more “from scratch” songwriting from Brian and Mike together would have been to not ditch the reunion so early. Had they regrouped for 2013, they could have continued doing more reunion tour legs while taking more time to do a *second* album where it would be more Brian/Mike material.

Imagine if things had gone just as they did, with Mike initially quitting the reunion and going back to his own thing, and then they had talked Mike into coming back and continuing the reunion by offering to allow for some substantial time for he and Brian to at least attempt to write some songs together. To be clear, I think the ship had already sailed on all of that. But it would be interesting to know if, either at that late juncture, or more so even earlier in the reunion project, things might have been different if they had essentially placated Mike and allowed for some “alone in a room” collabs. Especially when, even in that scenario, it probably would have still consisted of Brian *bringing in* partially completed song ideas.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: Yesterday at 06:44:46 PM »

I think the scenario lies somewhere in the middle of all this, as is often the case. Don't leave out the label's influence on the timeline when considering all of this, and how being presented with a handful of songs that needed touch-up work versus ground-up construction was probably a safer bet than agreeing to a scenario where a full album of newly written songs by two men who had not written together successfully in years had to be finished before any other planning would piggyback on the album's release date.

Simplistic terms: What ended up happening was Brian and Joe had songs to choose from, the writing process was mostly done and some if not most had frameworks of arrangements with demos to reference. Getting Brian and Mike in a room to crank out even a half-dozen new songs from scratch and then having them be good enough to release as a "reunion album" with a lot of hype and a major tour planned? Risky is the word I'd use, and corporate labels don't like risk of that sort considering they had been burned quite often by The Beach Boys since the 80's in terms of presenting releasable, marketable new material even when they were "hot" in 1989.

And timelines can change plans in the world of business, simple fact. If Mike's original notions of writing this stuff with Brian alone in a room from scratch didn't materialize,  that's how business works. And as has been mentioned, the teaser for this if I recall was a new version and revamp of Do It Again...going with the oldies concept...which also got scrapped and probably thankfully so.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Yesterday at 07:19:34 PM »

Isn't It Time is one of my favorite TWGMTR songs, and I seem to remember it somewhat oddly went through some rewriting & lyric changes between the album version and the single version. (On the bridge, "we raise a glass to kindness" became "another day's behind us", etc.) Did Mike have a hand in that?

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: Yesterday at 08:12:13 PM »

FWIW I seem to remember an insider's tweet (or whatever social media platform was used) back then saying that Brian and Mike would meet in the studio later that day to write a song. Couple of hours later the same person wrote it "didn't go well" or something to that effect. That's what I remember. It's possible that I am missing something so please correct me if I'm wrong.

Otherwise (I mentioned it before) the problem I see is that Mike just has to come up with better things than "spring vacation, good vbration", "We'll find a place in the sun where everyone can have fun [fun fun]" or those forced sounding ones like "we raise a kind to kindness" from the single version of "Isn't it Time". If that is what you bring to the table or what you come up with when they give you a chance to show what they would be missing out on, than that's not good advertising. He had a very nice song with "Daybreak" - although I'd wish they re-recorded it with only the Beach Boys - that had a reasonable good lyric.
In retrospect, and this is not only regarding the TWGMTR time, I think Mike's strength does indeed lie more with hooks than actual full lyrics. Listen to that great "bring back my baby" hook from "Daybreak". Or that cool bass line of "Isn't it Time" that he came up with as I understand.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: Yesterday at 08:44:27 PM »

Isn't It Time is one of my favorite TWGMTR songs, and I seem to remember it somewhat oddly went through some rewriting & lyric changes between the album version and the single version. (On the bridge, "we raise a glass to kindness" became "another day's behind us", etc.) Did Mike have a hand in that?

Mike is a credited co-writer on both versions of "Isn't It Time", so I'm not sure if he made those later changes for the single version, or if it was by committee. The recording of that version seemed to be hasty; I recall seeing pictures of Al in the middle of the tour recording his new vocals like in a hotel room or something like that.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: Yesterday at 08:52:21 PM »

I have also long suspected that something changed pretty late in the reunion project concerning Mike's feelings about Joe Thomas specifically. Even *during* the tour, he was praising Joe. Then later on he seemed to develop a negative impression of the whole project, and I think when he says he didn't get to write alone with Brian, what he's maybe actually trying to say is that he was perturbed that Brian and Joe wrote most of the album. And I think maybe something soured Mike on Joe later in the tour, and that only made his negative feelings about the album stronger.

I recall at some sort of book reading/signing for his book a few years later, someone reported he implied some negative things about someone that seemingly only could have been Joe Thomas.

Keep in mind of course that Joe Thomas was a partner with Mike and Brian in "50 Big Ones Productions" that ran the whole tour. Thomas was deeply intertwined into the creative and business aspect of the album, and in the business aspect of the tour (and subsequent products that came from it, namely a live double album and two DVDs/Blu-rays).

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Yesterday at 09:01:41 PM »

IIRC I think Mike was publicly mocking Joe for his (supposed) fear of air travel.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: Yesterday at 09:13:36 PM »

IIRC I think Mike was publicly mocking Joe for his (supposed) fear of air travel.

I recall Mike mentioning it, but I don't recall him mocking it, but rather expressing some level of frustration or exasperation about it. Whether that was justified or not is of course up for debate I suppose.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: Yesterday at 09:20:05 PM »

I recall Mike mentioning it, but I don't recall him mocking it, but rather expressing some level of frustration or exasperation about it. Whether that was justified or not is of course up for debate I suppose.

Yeah my memory is rather hazy on it. At the time I remember thinking it was rather uncool to air that kind of laundry so publicly, which is probably why I relate it to mocking. But yeah I can’t remember exactly what he said.

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Yesterday at 09:53:51 PM »

I had always assumed that "raise a glass to kindness" was a Joe Thomas line, loosely grouped with:
- "through the consequence of the wine"
- "summer wine, our favorite time"

And possibly one or two others.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Yesterday at 10:21:44 PM »

I have always been curious about Mike's  penchant for writing "in the same room" with Brian.  I mean know they have done that in the past (The Warmth of the Sun comes to mind), but just once I would like one of these interviewers to ask Mike why that stipulation is so important to him.  Some of their greatest songs were in fact written the exact way that Mike now apparently despises.  Mike's  legendary tales of dictating the lyrics to Good Vibrations to his wife while driving to the studio and writing the lyrics to California Girls outside the recording studio being two examples.  If that worked so well on those classics, why is it so offensive now?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: Today at 01:06:58 AM »

I have always been curious about Mike's  penchant for writing "in the same room" with Brian.  I mean know they have done that in the past (The Warmth of the Sun comes to mind), but just once I would like one of these interviewers to ask Mike why that stipulation is so important to him.  Some of their greatest songs were in fact written the exact way that Mike now apparently despises.  Mike's  legendary tales of dictating the lyrics to Good Vibrations to his wife while driving to the studio and writing the lyrics to California Girls outside the recording studio being two examples.  If that worked so well on those classics, why is it so offensive now?

It's a psychological if not publicly convenient crutch that Mike has leaned on for decades in many interviews, to set up the imagery of that mythical room with a piano and a notepad where he and cousin Brian could write songs like they did in the old days. It allows a lot of the reality of various situations through the years to morph into a mythical place where everything would be OK if only they could get into that room alone and write. It's been discussed among some of us fans for years, and it's a bit melancholy and sad to think how much weight might be put onto that scenario by Mike, but it also puts the reality of the situation front and center, where if Brian wanted to write with Mike he would have done so. Contrary to some mythology, including from Mike himself, there was no one or nothing stopping the two men from writing together for the past 25 years. Pick up the phone and call, then the answer is either yes or no.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Today at 06:11:13 AM »

I’m paraphrasing here, but Brian was pretty adamant in ‘his book’, not the Landy one, that he just didn’t want to be ‘in a room’ writing songs the way he used to. It was not how he wrote songs nowadays. I think that went for anybody, not just Mike.
I don’t have my copy close by but someone can find the section I’m sure. It’s the 2011-2012 timeline from memory.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx