gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
675256 Posts in 27255 Topics by 4016 Members - Latest Member: J.krefetz July 03, 2022, 05:16:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Featured Prominently in New Season of "Stranger Things"  (Read 1010 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: May 31, 2022, 10:27:36 AM »

I assumed someone else would have mentioned this by now (and if they did, my apologies), but the BB’s “California Dreamin’” is featured prominently in the new season of “Stranger Things” on Netflix. It’s the first song featured in the first episode of the new fourth season. Sounds like the show got access to the multitracks, as they drop the vocals in and out during some dialogue and whatnot. It isn’t a little quickie feature either, the song is re-edited and vocals come and go underneath one of the first scenes in the first episode.

Anyway, I thought it would be worth mentioning that the Beach Boys are featured at the very front end of what was probably this past weekend the most popular show in the world. 

The song is also on the soundtrack release of the fourth season as well:

https://open.spotify.com/album/62YEXS8uOu8fUlCrU3ideq

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
krabklaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2022, 04:07:12 PM »

And Heroes and Villains is the soundtrack for Amazon's 'The Boys' new season 3 trailer video. Guess somebody's hard at work out there working those licensing deals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-8VYKUZYiw

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2022, 05:23:58 AM »

And Heroes and Villains is the soundtrack for Amazon's 'The Boys' new season 3 trailer video. Guess somebody's hard at work out there working those licensing deals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-8VYKUZYiw

Surprised hearing that in the theatre before seeing Top Gun Maverick.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.
Beach Boy
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got tears in the morning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2022, 02:06:31 PM »

I was about to post this last week but did not want to spoiler it.  Grin  Since I am watching with subtitles it is interesting that the song is there introduced as by the Mamas and the Papas.

Late at night
When the whole world's sleeping
I dream of you
Close to you I feel your sweet heart beating
I dream of you
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2022, 12:39:32 AM »

It's weird to me to see the 80's nostalgia happening right now. In 1986 I was 10 y/o and saw my first concert (The Beach Boys at Mud Island, Memphis, TN). IIRC, "The Beach Boys" album had come out the year before and the "Made In U.S.A." compilation had just been released to support that years tour, including the "California Dreamin'" cover.

Now I have 13 year old daughters who are into this show (and others) and it's a little bizarre to hear nostalgia discussions about an era I was coming of age in.

Husband. Father. Quadragenarian.
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2022, 12:42:31 AM »

Not "California Dreamin'" but another relic of that same time.

"Getcha Back" video from 1985. My first favorite Beach Boys song... Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6P6Dfhhv60

Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2022, 09:42:12 AM »

Yeah it was definitely cool hearing that open the new season.  Too bad it was completely overshadowed by that Kate Bush song that even shot up to number 1 on the music charts though.

Also a little bummed they didn't think to put this song on the Sounds Of Summer compilation.  Would have been a good tie-in and I'm sure no one would have missed "Pom Pom Play Girl"...
« Last Edit: June 18, 2022, 09:47:58 AM by Awesoman » Logged

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2022, 09:55:02 AM »

Yeah it was definitely cool hearing that open the new season.  Too bad it was completely overshadowed by that Kate Bush song that even shot up to number 1 on the music charts though.

Also a little bummed they didn't think to put this song on the Sounds Of Summer compilation.  Would have been a good tie-in and I'm sure no one would have missed "Pom Pom Play Girl"...

That's what I was saying in another discussion, it looks like a missed opportunity and the marketing dept. seems to have missed the boat on one of the bigger mainstream uses of the band's music in recent years. Kate Bush got major media attention for scoring that #1, maybe she had better PR teams or it was just a fluke, but Kate's success was getting reported across major media channels and when articles appeared about music in the show, too many of them mistakenly linked to or cited the Mamas & Papas version of the tune, totally getting it wrong.

Today is also Record Store Drop Day, and it would have been cool to have a Stranger Things/BB's tie-in 45rpm or something with California Dreamin available in the shops. I didn't see any BB's products coming out today at all, and there were news reports about this "Drop" event at record shops. It would have been a nice cross-promotion that seems to have been ignored.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
sea of tunes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2022, 10:12:28 AM »

I love that Kate is getting attention, it's well deserved. She has one of the sweetest voices in pop history and it's great that a whole new generation is discovering her music. Hopefully they'll listen to all of "House of Love", "The Sensual World" and "The Red Shoes".

Funny thing, I remember hearing both "Getcha Back" and "Running Up That Hill" at the skating rink regularly when I was 10/11. Smiley

It's currently a 1986 world and we're all just living in it.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2022, 10:22:29 AM »

No doubt, I think it's great Kate's music is getting such a boost from the show - well deserved! In 1986-87 I was most familiar with Kate's voice from her work with Peter Gabriel, "Don't Give Up" and "Games Without Frontiers". A friend at the time was a major Gabriel fan and dubbed his music from several albums onto cassette for me, and I loved those two tracks. And I listen regularly to WXPN, who was playing that specific track getting all the attention on a semi-regular basis before the show.

I just think it was a pretty major missed opportunity fro the BB's not to do some tie-ins or cross-promotions especially with new product coming out and a record store day thing happening today, it would have been cool to see even some of the attention Kate's music received or at least give the band even more of a marketing boost since their song was so prominent.

And was it just me or did McGuinn's 12-string Rickenbacker sound even better when it was on the show than I remember?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx