gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:21:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1964 wasn't too shabby, either.  (Read 2275 times)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 26, 2017, 02:49:19 AM »

1963 gave us Spector's masterpiece, "A Christmas Gift For You", but 1964 wasn't too shabby, either. Lookit our boys: Dennis isn't holding a present. Either Santa thought he'd been naughty that year, or more likely, he was just too cool to be seen with such childish stuff. He's placed a fatherly hand on Al's shoulder instead, and even Brian looks right. All was well that Christmas.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 06:27:57 AM »

1963 gave us Spector's masterpiece, "A Christmas Gift For You", but 1964 wasn't too shabby, either. Lookit our boys: Dennis isn't holding a present. Either Santa thought he'd been naughty that year, or more likely, he was just too cool to be seen with such childish stuff. He's placed a fatherly hand on Al's shoulder instead, and even Brian looks right. All was well that Christmas.

Maybe Dennis's right elbow is resting on top of his excessively large present (hence the huge smile on his face, lol).

In all seriousness, a heart-warming picture. Thanks for that, GM. :=)
And in my jaded view BB 1964 Christmas beats Uncle Phil 1963 Christmas hands down.  Cool Guy

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 06:38:48 AM »

Especially the "adult" side of the '64 Christmas album shows the Beach Boys' incredible singing abilities, lead or group singing. It is so strong! And also highlighting Mike's singing. Each year I am blown away by what great singers the guys were.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 06:45:12 AM »

Uncle Phil takes some beating, LOL
Nobody beats our boys in the harmony stakes, yet heretic that I am, my vote goes to Uncle Phil.

It is true that the "adult" side with the traditional carols is where they really shine; having subjected my family to that record for many a Christmas, my father would always remark when we got to side two, "oh, now it's the good part".  Smiley
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 06:46:47 AM by GoogaMooga » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 06:29:41 PM »

The picture looks like mirrored. Mike looks tipsy that way. There isn't anything childish to wait for presents. Everybody does, face it. police The other observation - each gift looks flat, it means every BB is given the same thing. I prefer BBs Christmas album. The Spector album is mainly girl groups which me, I find extremely silly-sounding, sth. about stack of female voices brings such perception.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 11:32:57 PM »

Even as far back as 1964, Brian had a kind of awkward nervousness when getting a picture taken. That's interesting.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2017, 11:55:10 PM »

The picture looks like mirrored. Mike looks tipsy that way. There isn't anything childish to wait for presents. Everybody does, face it. police The other observation - each gift looks flat, it means every BB is given the same thing. I prefer BBs Christmas album. The Spector album is mainly girl groups which me, I find extremely silly-sounding, sth. about stack of female voices brings such perception.

Christmas is a family celebration, and presents are first and foremost for the children. We adults may exchange gifts as well, but the focus is on the kids. They are the ones who cannot buy their own things. Adults are often jaded and may even exchange their unwanted gifts for something else, or just forget about the whole thing. The photo op here is nice, though, the BBs are young and want to reach out to their young fans. It's well staged, and the (probably empty) presents are a good prop.

Brian was never really comfortable in front of the camera, was he? Best photo I saw of him is the one where he is standing next to a tower rack of BB albums, early years.

Spector's girl pop is as close to heaven as we can physically get here on Earth.  Cool
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 11:59:59 PM by GoogaMooga » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 02:07:11 AM »

Spector's girl pop is as close to heaven as we can physically get here on Earth.  Cool

Okay, I'll grant you that! I'm smitten by most '60s girl group stuff. I'm just not a fan of the Christmas album...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 02:16:14 AM »

I think I understand you, the Christmas album does have a different feel to it. More dense, more classical, but also more "cartoony". I dunno, I thought it was universally loved. Spector set out to produce a seasonal album more in tune with what kids were listening to at the time, but mad genius that he was, he came up with something totally unique. It's a perennial, what PS is to pop, ACGFY is to seasonal albums.
KDS
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 05:44:00 AM »

While I think the Spector Christmas album is the better album, I prefer the Beach Boys album. 

And I think I'm in the minority in that I like the originals on the BB album more than the covers (although We Three Kings is vocally one of the best things they EVER did). 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx