gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:54:12 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How and why did Bruce become an official Beach Boy?  (Read 2169 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2017, 02:58:32 PM »

I've always wondered why Bruce was a full fledged member from the mid-60s to early 70s. He always seemed fairly redundant. Like, why is this guy here? I know he was hired to fill in Brian's position in the live band. Is there any story behind the decision made to make Bruce not only an official Beach Boy but a voting member of BRI?
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 03:04:55 PM »

I think he became more important to the band as Brian withdrew more and more. Especially around 20/20. I'm sure Carl and the guys were thrilled to have another songwriter and instrumentalist in the band. And you could argue that he was the best instrumentalist that was ever an official Beach Boy.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 03:19:14 PM »

I don't think Bruce was ever a "voting member of BRI". He was/is a Beach Boy in musical terms, but not corporate terms. Al Jardine didn't even become a voting member until around 1971, which is close to Bruce's 6-year departure from the band.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2017, 03:48:37 PM »

I don't think Bruce was ever a "voting member of BRI". He was/is a Beach Boy in musical terms, but not corporate terms. Al Jardine didn't even become a voting member until around 1971, which is close to Bruce's 6-year departure from the band.

I thought he was? I read somewhere that he sold his vote back to BRI in 1972 for $200,000 after leaving the band?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 06:11:21 PM »

I thought he was? I read somewhere that he sold his vote back to BRI in 1972 for $200,000 after leaving the band?

If that's so, he must have gotten a voting right at the same time as Al in '71. No way would Bruce have a vote before Al got his!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2017, 06:27:22 PM »

I don't know where on the timeline he received it, but I know Bruce ridded himself of it upon leaving the band...I've never heard an exact figure quoted.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2017, 09:44:15 PM »

I think in the absence of Brian on tour in the 60s and after Dennis's death in the 80s, having Bruce in the lineup kept the image of The Beach Boys as a five piece band, like in promotional photos and TV appearances for example.  Seeing a photo of The Beach Boys with less than five guys, no matter who those five may be, it always looks like it's missing something.  Including David Marks on the 2012 tour kept that five-man image alive.

And then there's the current touring Beach Boys in which Bruce's presence keeps the illusion that they are authentic and not just a Mike Love solo outfit.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx