gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:11:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paley Sessions Discussion Thread  (Read 73760 times)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #350 on: November 21, 2017, 08:54:35 PM »

Having lived through this era (as many here did too) and having had the full-blown fever for anything Brian or Beach Boys...I can say the High Llamas at least in the US were far from the first or even the most prominent examples of indie bands wearing a BW influence on their sleeve. Brian and his music was being name-checked like mad in the early to mid-90's, and if you listened to alternative or indie music, you'd hear the influence plain as day. I heard it in, of all things, "Buddy Holly" by Weezer. Before I even knew (or met) Rivers. Turns out I heard correctly, BW is a major influence. Same with Corgan, Frusciante, etc. Many more.

So as much as I dig the Llamas and O'Hagan...it's easy to overstate their impact and influence when they were current.

And another example I remember well...great band too...Velvet Crush released an album in 1994 called "Teenage Symphonies To God".

Makes you wonder why the BB's didn't tap them to co-produce something if they wanted indie cred.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 21, 2017, 11:46:12 PM »

Nobody ever points out that - at the time - the High Llamas were passed around and written about a lot as sort of an "up-and-coming" indie band, and they were one of the first to be associated with that kind of '60s-revival alt-rock music scene from the '90s. It was a complete accident that Johnston stumbled upon Hawaii, and by extension, a musician of Sean O'Hagan's caliber. Keep in mind that the 1995 Paley timeline coincides EXACTLY with the rise of Britpop.

It's likely that he saw potential in the High Llamas as the counterpart to Oasis or Blur or something - a case of a broken clock being right twice a day. It had nothing to do with being "hip". This is a guy who, only three years before, thought that the group should record "Shortenin' Bread" with the Fat Boys as their next big hit.

And considering that the Beach Boys totally missed the boat on punk and new wave, it's easy to see why they didn't care too much for the Paley material, and why they wasted so much time trying to break into the charts again.

Good point. Heck, the Old Wheeler Cabinessence Board shared web space with the High Llamas board ,too.

Makes you wonder though if they had gone with O'Hagen.  The High Llamas' moment in the sun, such as it was, didn't last all that long....is there a chance that any collaboration would have been looked at as a novelty and too much "of its time"? We'll never know now, but it does make one wonder.
Did the High Llamas actually have some hit records? I thought they were just an underground band popular with critics.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #352 on: November 21, 2017, 11:52:59 PM »

That was pretty much it. Didn't have any real lasting power with the indie scene either; since 2000, pretty much everything has been self-released and has been heard by very few. They release music pretty much just to satisfy themselves with no delusion of any kind of sales. No worries there...I've been doing that for 16 years now LOL
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 11:54:09 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 22, 2017, 11:43:07 PM »

That was pretty much it. Didn't have any real lasting power with the indie scene either; since 2000, pretty much everything has been self-released and has been heard by very few. They release music pretty much just to satisfy themselves with no delusion of any kind of sales. No worries there...I've been doing that for 16 years now LOL
Me, too.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #354 on: November 22, 2017, 11:49:24 PM »

Hell, it's kinda more fun that way...no pressure and you can do whatever the hell you want.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 24, 2017, 09:53:19 AM »

I kind of liked the High Llamas but their songwriting always seemed a little lukewarm to me. To me, they were (are?) a band that always sounded more competent than exciting.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 24, 2017, 11:08:56 AM »

For that matter, what about Matthew Sweet? He was in the BW orbit for a time in the early 2000s after releasing "In Reverse," an album featuring Carol Kaye and an epic nine-minute closing track (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya04cQGWF2s).

Of all the outside folks paraded in to work with Brian, he's one of the few who I think could have 1.) worked well with BW and 2.) produced some interesting music.
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 25, 2017, 11:19:28 AM »

I was about to relisten to High Llamas' Hawaii but instead I'm listening for the first time Unleash the love. I feel guilty. So, anyway, here's Matthew Sweet performing SoS with Brian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llMapwjxK4g
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 25, 2017, 01:15:18 PM »

Looking for recent inteviews with Sean O'Hagan, I found this from last year.

https://claythescribe.com/2016/03/04/interview-with-sean-ohagan-of-the-high-llamas/

Something -to me, at least- new to the High Llamas/Beach Boys saga. I 'm not sure, however, if they were really serious about using those songs on a BB album:

2. Does he know if the songs he started to write with Brian Wilson in the 90s will ever see the light of day in any way?

S: You know nothing  was started, but   a few  songs  that ended up on Cold And Bouncy were played to the Beach Boys one day back stage (Bruce, Al  and I think Carl was there), and they really liked them and talked about them being new BB songs. So that’s as close as I got.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx