gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:55:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al being fired  (Read 13479 times)
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2017, 04:25:35 AM »

Al was a delight both times I met him. The first on the C50 VIP experience, and the second was after Brian's show at Montgomery College in 2015. He gladly signed my photo so long as I would walk to the bus with him and not stop to allow a crowd to form...which was already happening anyway with the 20 people or so that were waiting.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2017, 06:41:24 AM »

Had the pleasure of meeting Al several times and never once was he anything other than a great guy. I've told the story here before, but at after a show, I drove him and some friends to his hotel. On the way, we were all singing BB songs and I remember he thought my car was cool.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
KDS
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2017, 06:47:20 AM »

Al was a delight both times I met him. The first on the C50 VIP experience, and the second was after Brian's show at Montgomery College in 2015. He gladly signed my photo so long as I would walk to the bus with him and not stop to allow a crowd to form...which was already happening anyway with the 20 people or so that were waiting.

I can't believe that was already two years ago.  I was waiting outside, but chose not to follow Al since he had a container of food (I know I don't want anyone between me and my meals).  Looking back though, I wish I'd taken the opportunity to meet him. 
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2017, 08:15:48 AM »

Had the pleasure of meeting Al several times and never once was he anything other than a great guy. I've told the story here before, but at after a show, I drove him and some friends to his hotel. On the way, we were all singing BB songs and I remember he thought my car was cool.

Such a cool story. Was the car an early 70s Camaro, as I seem to recall reading?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2017, 08:22:42 AM »

met Al several times, he has always been a complete gentleman and very generous with his time.  Of course, the same can be said of each of the guys, except Bruce--who is, as many have mentioned previously, absolute Jekyll and Hyde. Literally 50% of the time I have met him he is the kindest guy you could meet, and will (unsolicited) regale you with Beach Boys history and insights.  The other 50%?  Don't even ask...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2017, 08:27:10 AM »

Such a cool story. Was the car an early 70s Camaro, as I seem to recall reading?

Good recall, CD! It was a Chev. Camero SS 396, silver with a black vinyl top. I've been fortunate to have had some collectibles over the years. One of my faves was a '52 Cev. Woody that I used to haul my drums to every gig.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 08:28:45 AM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2017, 09:11:54 AM »

I'm not one to standup for mike usually, but I can see how Al could hold grudges about things from the past like mike says....In the "wilson project" gary usher says how every time he sees Al he yells "THIEF! YOURE A THIEF" to him because 20 years earlier they'd invested in something that hadnt made its money back...also, in a documentary Al talks about Sloop John B and how he gave Brian the idea but "then of course on the record it doesnt say Al Jardine anywhere, says Brian Wilson" and the way he says it seems like it actually is bothered by it....

While the Usher book's recounting of that episode with Al is hilarious and borders on Spinal Tap-esque levels of absurdity, and while Al no doubt could be "difficult" and have a chip on his shoulder especially in the 80s and 90s (sometimes with good reason, sometimes perhaps not), I don't think the Usher story is much more than an anecdote; I don't think it speaks to a large pattern of being *that* weird about perceived wrongs from the past.

I don't think Al had any stronger of a penchant for being "hung up on the past" than Mike did, or most anybody in the band in their own way (perhaps Dennis the least who in some respects "lived in the moment" for lack of a less clichéd way of putting it). For Mike in particular to single Al out in that 1992 Goldmine interview for getting hung up on the past is particularly ironic and hypocritical considering that same interview is one long diatribe from Mike about being hung up on the songwriting lawsuit and Brian in general. Indeed, nearly 25 years *after* Mike WON the songwriting lawsuit, he STILL seems hung up on it.

More than any member of the band ever, it's Mike who holds grudges and gets hung up on the past.

Make no mistake, as one of the most f-ed up bands interpersonally/politically/business-wise, etc., they *all* have held grudges and been hung up on past ills. Sometimes justified, sometimes not.

I'd also hardly call Al's attitude in the last 50 years regarding "Sloop John B" to be that of holding a grudge. I think he would have a pretty strong case (morally/ethically more so than legally) that he deserved a co-writing (or rather "co-arranging" credit) on the song alongside Brian. Al by all accounts did more than literally just plop the song title in front of Brian and leave the room. But I've rarely seen Al even bring up the fact that only Brian got credit.

Unlike Mike, I'm guessing that Al realizes they're *all* insanely rich off this whole thing, and it's not worth the fallout nor his own consternation to gripe about it. In that way, I don't think Al was ever as hung up on that sort of stuff as Mike was, but either way Al has certainly mellowed out in the last 15+ years in terms of how he looks at the band and its legacy and in particular his relationship with Brian.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 09:26:28 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2017, 09:14:43 AM »

There was a story I recall reading about on here about Al suddenly putting his guitar down and leaving in the middle of a show. I'd love to know more about what happened there, and if/how that may have played a role in Al being forced out.

I believe the story was something like Al left in the middle of the show saying he had a plane to catch.

I've heard this story, and I would imagine it's more than simply apocryphal. But if it did happen, there's obviously at least a little more to the story.

Keep in mind that unlike most any other band, the Beach Boys regularly did shows with a member absent. In 1990 alone, there were Mike-less, Al-less, and Carl-less shows. Most any other band would postpone a show if one of the four core members were out. Not the Beach Boys. That certainly didn't help the watering-down of their brand and its value.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2017, 09:18:10 AM »

Does Al always complain/always quickly angered? Slightly off-topic, but he seemed pretty angry at a recent concert of his and Brian's when I asked him to sign my copy of Pet Sounds ("I can't sign anything" in a harsh voice).

Thanks!

While there are stories of just about every BB having a bad day/moment and being weird or cranky (or, in the case of your story, probably just a little rushed/tired, etc.), Al (along with Mike, and Dave, and Brian) is usually excellent with fans.

As we've often discussed, the only BB with a regular pattern of running hot and cold with fans is Bruce.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2017, 09:22:58 AM »

I remember that, but consider the source...he's had it out for Al (and Mary Ann) for years for whatever reason (probably because Al saw through him). I would trust a more legit source.

Absolutely Billy. I used to take most of what AGD said very seriously, but the way he would privately speak so shitty about Al sure opened my eyes. Seriously, besides AGD and the the Mike Love fellating Cam Mort, who would really have any true beefs with Al frickin' Jardine?!

In both of those cases, there was often an assertion that Al was the cause of this or that, or that Al was the true villain of this episode or that. Every time that sort of thing would come up, I'd quickly point out what Wirestone (and others) have pointed out in this and other threads: Al has almost always been marginalized in terms of power (and in most any other respect; artistically, etc.) The idea that he was the reason C50 ended, or that he was the one who screwed BRI over regarding his 1998 departure, etc. (all crackpot theories bandied about at one time or another by someone or another) is silly.

Al has almost always been almost comically marginalized and impotent when it comes to anything to do with the band's power structure or anything that enacts any change.

The only power he wields at this stage is that he adds quality and authenticity to whichever group he chooses to join.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2017, 09:32:50 AM »

Thanks for the replies. So did the other members vote for Al to be suspended in ‘93? I’m surprised that happened while Carl was still around.
I remember Andrew Doe once posted here that everybody, Including Carl, voted Al out of the group at one point.

It really depends on who one measures what a "Beach Boy" is.

The only technical/legal definition is corporate members, and in that sense Brian, Mike, and Al have *always* been BBs since they became corporate members.

Carlin's book mentions a 1990 attempt to oust Al from the band. I don't know if that would have been an attempt to buy Al out, although I've heard stories and my own instinct would tell me that I wouldn't be surprised if Mike and/or others may have tried to buy Al out at one point or another. But Al never was bought out, either in 1990 or even in 1998 when he was no longer in the touring band.

The best way I could think of to describe the whole thing is that the Beach Boys essentially broke up/ceased operations in 1998, and then the corporation licensed the BB name for Mike's solo tour.

The fact that these guys were always corporate members, and that Brian popped in and out of working with the band in the studio in the 80s and 90s, is why it has always bugged me when references are made to Brian or Al "leaving" the group at any point. They never really did.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 10:12:30 AM by HeyJude » Logged

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2017, 05:02:10 PM »

Al was President of BRI at one point I believe for a short tenure so he did have SOME power.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2017, 05:26:11 PM »

I met Al backstage at the Oregon C50 show. He was super friendly and gracious!  He talked to me for like 10 minutes. Great guy!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2017, 07:23:52 AM »

Al was President of BRI at one point I believe for a short tenure so he did have SOME power.

I could be wrong, but in some cases in a private corporation like that, the "board members" essentially rotate in and out of the essential roles like President, etc. Someone has to sign off on stuff in that role. So I'm guessing when an actual BB/board member has taken on a role like that, it hasn't been in the same wide-ranging capacity as what, for instance, Jerry Schilling is doing now.

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2017, 09:12:56 AM »

Does Al always complain/always quickly angered? Slightly off-topic, but he seemed pretty angry at a recent concert of his and Brian's when I asked him to sign my copy of Pet Sounds ("I can't sign anything" in a harsh voice).

Thanks!

While there are stories of just about every BB having a bad day/moment and being weird or cranky (or, in the case of your story, probably just a little rushed/tired, etc.), Al (along with Mike, and Dave, and Brian) is usually excellent with fans.

As we've often discussed, the only BB with a regular pattern of running hot and cold with fans is Bruce.

Thanks Hey Jude and everyone else; there's too many to quote.  It was the first time I'd met a member of the band so I didn't know what to expect and was kind of disappointed. 
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx