gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:27:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al being fired  (Read 13482 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2017, 08:26:24 PM »

Or the Dr. of Wilsonomics....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2017, 08:29:32 PM »

I'd have been about 14 then. The only thing I was the doctor of was being young and cute LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2017, 08:31:17 PM »

Dammit Billy!  LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2017, 08:56:21 PM »

Thanks for the replies. So did the other members vote for Al to be suspended in ‘93? I’m surprised that happened while Carl was still around.
I remember Andrew Doe once posted here that everybody, Including Carl, voted Al out of the group at one point.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2017, 09:08:35 PM »

I remember that, but consider the source...he's had it out for Al (and Mary Ann) for years for whatever reason (probably because Al saw through him). I would trust a more legit source.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2017, 09:31:26 PM »

Maybe in order to keep swinging the power balance in his favor, Mike worked with a guy with a corporate vote to keep said guy happier. Plus, Mike seemingly can’t really write songs on his own, with a small handful of exceptions. It’s hard to see every one of Mike’s actions from Endless Summer-on as anything but a scheming, long-range powerplay to ensure an eventual end of him having full power.

Honestly, I can only imagine what Al Jardine privately thinks (and says) about Mike’s narcissism and back-stabbing. All things considered, Al has been incredibly, incredibly gracious to not publicly call it out directly and often.

The only time a BB documentary could possibly ever really get to the heart of so, so much stuff that has affected this band is to have a significant section dedicated to that one topic. The big elephant in the room, now that substance abuse has been covered exceedingly well already. Yet of course this coverage in any properly-made content won’t ever happen until the players are no longer with us.

Al was so underrated and underappreciated by The BBs and Mike in particular. Al is pretty much why SIP has any moments at all.

Perhaps there is some truth to what you say, but Mike's never struck me as much of a forward planner. The song-writing credit debacle and his lack of money sense being obvious examples. I recall murmurs being mentioned on this board Al was a pretty grumpy fellow for quite a while, whether for justified reasons or other, and even Carl was getting tired of him. Presumably he toned it down in the mid-nineties (whether we can thank the therapist partially or or not, God only knows), which lead to him becoming so much closer to Carl, and more recently, Brian.

It would be interesting to know how Al and Mike approached writing songs however and whether they did much working on them in the same room. Perhaps unsurprisingly, neither of them have expressed a desire (that I'm aware of) to get back, just the two of them, around the piano, guitar, saxophone, or whatever it might have been.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 24, 2017, 10:55:20 PM »

Brian : hey, mike, you want to write a song with me in a room with a piano?  Meet me at such and such address.

Mike:Alright,  cuz, let's do it again!

(Mike heads to the location Brian gave him, notices it's an empty, dirty room, but there is a piano there. He shrugs, sits down, and waits for Brian. Just then the door slams. He notices a tape reCorder aND hits play.  )

Voice of Jigsaw : Hey Mike, wanna play a game?

Mike: Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 10:59:02 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 24, 2017, 10:58:33 PM »

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2017, 11:00:31 PM »

That was a tongue in cheek reference to Saw, of course

Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2017, 11:22:41 AM »

Don't forget that in the late 70s Al and Mike were the TM wing of the group and always voted togheter when it came to board meetings.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 25, 2017, 12:07:05 PM »

Don't forget that in the late 70s Al and Mike were the TM wing of the group and always voted togheter when it came to board meetings.

In retrospect, that seems to have been more about the behavior of the Wilsons than Mike and Al necessarily having huge affinities.
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2017, 12:29:52 PM »

In retrospect, that seems to have been more about the behavior of the Wilsons than Mike and Al necessarily having huge affinities.

Actually, I was going to put that but then I deleted it. Yes, that's also true. But Mike and Al's affinities during that era included TM, ecology (remember plans for a concept album about that issue) and, when it came to live shows, a preference for the "Endless Summer" approach (ie hits and early material). The gap between both camps (after the infamous aeroplane argument chronicled in Rolling Stone) gave Al the chance to call the shots on MIU.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 25, 2017, 12:50:10 PM »

Indeed -- although I'll also point out that Brian wrote two songs about TM and Dennis definitely touched on ecological concerns on POB.

But yes, Al's position on the periphery of the band means he never quite got to call the shots and only had power -- even now -- to the extent that he threw his weight in with one principal or another.
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 25, 2017, 01:17:40 PM »

Yes, that's the thing with beign "friends" and not "family". But, hey, at least he's got a vote. He could have done worse (i.e. Bruce)
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 25, 2017, 05:08:21 PM »

Al's biggest ally in the band was and is Brian.  The less Brian was involved , the more marginalized Al seemed to be.  He was Brian's friend after all and had no initial connection to the others.

I think Mike and Al were never as close as the popular BB story makes them out to be. They wrote a few songs together,  really only a handful and Al ended up siding with Mike for 2 reasons I think: That's how Brian was voting and the anti drug/pro TM common theme. Al and Mike were never really friends, they have completely opposite personalities and temperaments.

I don't think Al was pro oldies in the set more so than Carl really. Guercio encouraged them to embrace the classics and hard to blame them when that's what the fans wanted.  I don't think Al was out there demanding 409 and Surfin Safari be added and I don't think Carl and Dennis were exactly demanding they play Wild Honey and Friends songs. It was sort of an evolution into that. In fact, Al was bemoaning they had too many oldies by '80 in the Knebworth liner notes.

It was really the drug use/lifestyle that pushed Al and Mike together.  When Mike says drugs hurt the BB the most, he's not entirely wrong.  Once Carl cleaned up, the Al/Mike "alliance" really faded away. There was no need for it. Throughout the 80s they grew further and further apart.  Mike post Kokomo must have been completely insufferable to be in a band with. It comes through in those early 90's interview. He's completely delusional about Kokomo and his success.  It was Kokomo Mike/cheerleaders that really created the chasm between Al and Mike but it was already started to some extent and Mike's corporate takeover that was what finally made it irreparable and Al had to go. 
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2017, 05:12:21 PM »

Even BW and Al during the 1990s had some friendship chemistry during when Al holds BW’s nose at the piano. Grin Plus the Carlin book has Al breaking the ice during the 2005 statue dedication...

Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2017, 08:13:20 PM »

I'm not one to standup for mike usually, but I can see how Al could hold grudges about things from the past like mike says....In the "wilson project" gary usher says how every time he sees Al he yells "THIEF! YOURE A THIEF" to him because 20 years earlier they'd invested in something that hadnt made its money back...also, in a documentary Al talks about Sloop John B and how he gave Brian the idea but "then of course on the record it doesnt say Al Jardine anywhere, says Brian Wilson" and the way he says it seems like it actually is bothered by it....
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2017, 09:44:04 PM »

There was a story I recall reading about on here about Al suddenly putting his guitar down and leaving in the middle of a show. I'd love to know more about what happened there, and if/how that may have played a role in Al being forced out.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2017, 12:13:43 AM »

Vaguely remember that. I recall him having said to the group he had tp leave at a set time for a family event, and the show ran late. Something like that. I don’t think it was portrayed as a falling out.

Of course Brian has done the same the times I have seen him in concert.  LOL
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2017, 07:04:18 AM »

There was a story I recall reading about on here about Al suddenly putting his guitar down and leaving in the middle of a show. I'd love to know more about what happened there, and if/how that may have played a role in Al being forced out.

I believe the story was something like Al left in the middle of the show saying he had a plane to catch.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 26, 2017, 06:32:49 PM »

Does Al always complain/always quickly angered? Slightly off-topic, but he seemed pretty angry at a recent concert of his and Brian's when I asked him to sign my copy of Pet Sounds ("I can't sign anything" in a harsh voice).

Thanks!
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 26, 2017, 07:00:07 PM »

I believe the story was something like Al left in the middle of the show saying he had a plane to catch.

Or a bus.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 26, 2017, 07:31:39 PM »

Makes sense Al would leave the show in the middle. Ticket is bought, if he didn't leave, the money he paid for it wouldn't be given back, ticket would be annulled. At least, that's how it works here.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 26, 2017, 08:44:43 PM »

I remember that, but consider the source...he's had it out for Al (and Mary Ann) for years for whatever reason (probably because Al saw through him). I would trust a more legit source.

Absolutely Billy. I used to take most of what AGD said very seriously, but the way he would privately speak so shitty about Al sure opened my eyes. Seriously, besides AGD and the the Mike Love fellating Cam Mort, who would really have any true beefs with Al frickin' Jardine?!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 26, 2017, 09:07:11 PM »

Al was extremely nice when I met him. Granted it was quick but very genuine

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx