gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:20:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al being fired  (Read 13494 times)
The Cigarette Light Joke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2017, 11:01:05 AM »

Apologies if this has been covered many times before, I couldn’t find the relevant thread.

I have heard about Al’s departure in the late 90’s, but wondered what was the reason for Mike wanting him out?

Also, was he dismissed in ‘93? What happened there?

Thanks in advance!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 11:19:32 AM »

The two were parts of a larger story. Al was unhappy with Mike's leadership of the band and made his feelings clear. That, or Al's expressions of that, presumably led to the suspension. Al then spent the '90s more allied with Carl and increasingly alienated from Mike -- he's pointed to unhappiness with the cheerleaders and setlists. Once Carl was unable to tour, Mike decided that he didn't want to continue with Al in the band.

There are many details and specific anecdotes that can be added, but that's the general shape of things. Fans on the outside tended to think that Al and Mike were allies throughout those years, but it ends up that Al was always a bit on the periphery of the band, and his relationships with the others were sometimes fraught or subject to long-held grudges. Heck, he didn't even make it through a full tour with Brian about 10 years ago. But his overall outlook seems to have shifted of late, to everyone's benefit.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 11:51:49 AM by Wirestone » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 11:26:19 AM »

Nobody really knows as there have been conflicting stories. Supposedly he was "fired" during SIP for an "attitude problem" or stepped down due to tinnitus, depending on whom you believe. He and Mike did have a falling out at some point (confirmed) and David was  being brought back in to replace him but ended up replacing Carl.

edit

Post above has more detail
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 11:27:01 AM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Cigarette Light Joke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 11:29:46 AM »

Thanks for the replies. So did the other members vote for Al to be suspended in ‘93? I’m surprised that happened while Carl was still around.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 11:45:07 AM »

That is a question I also wanted to ask. The whole 90s debacle still has some shadows for me. Hope guitarfool will step in. I think he has done a lot of research on that time.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 12:20:08 PM »

I know that mike and al (and the other guys i think) went to therapy in the 90s for al to talk about how he had been mistreated and worked stuff out so he could come back
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 12:30:25 PM »

Did not know that....sounds like they all should have been in therapy to straighten out the entire group dynamic.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 12:44:27 PM »

It was '91, not '93, that saw Al out of the band for a spell. He came back toward the end of the SIP sessions, and according to Mike, made a "good" song "great" ("Strange Things Happen" - generally considered by fans to be the best song on the album). Mike speaks at some length about this situation in the ground-breaking interview with Ken Sharp, published in Goldmine in '92. Mike admits that some of Al's grievances were justified, and some not (in his opinion). Regardless, the Beach Boys (and nowadays the Brian Wilson band) ALWAYS sound better with Al Jardine in the vocal blend!
The Cigarette Light Joke
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 12:58:42 PM »

Does anyone have a link to that goldmine interview? Sounds like a cracker!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 02:36:37 PM »

I have the Goldmine interview; always thought Love sounded  bit "off" there, like when he had fasted at the RR Hall of Fame awards supposedly an,d acted like he had lost his marbles. I have always wondered how Al was "fired"....did Carl go along with that? Seems very strange behavior from Carl if he had....he was the peacemaker of the Band. Would love the get the full answer on that one though.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 02:41:27 PM »

I was told by a long time back-up player (who most fans don't like) that when Mike got control he finally could get rid of Al , who he didn't like from the beginning in 62, never liked him!  Mike's wife also got rid of the back-ground player who I spoke with!

Cook pork throughly
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 03:59:48 PM »

I was told by a long time back-up player (who most fans don't like) that when Mike got control he finally could get rid of Al , who he didn't like from the beginning in 62, never liked him!  Mike's wife also got rid of the back-ground player who I spoke with!

If this is true, it's interesting that we got so many Mike/Al co-writes, in the late 70's particularly. I wonder how that writing partnership worked?
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 06:01:07 PM »

I was told by a long time back-up player (who most fans don't like) that when Mike got control he finally could get rid of Al , who he didn't like from the beginning in 62, never liked him!  Mike's wife also got rid of the back-ground player who I spoke with!

If this is true, it's interesting that we got so many Mike/Al co-writes, in the late 70's particularly. I wonder how that writing partnership worked?

Maybe in order to keep swinging the power balance in his favor, Mike worked with a guy with a corporate vote to keep said guy happier. Plus, Mike seemingly can’t really write songs on his own, with a small handful of exceptions. It’s hard to see every one of Mike’s actions from Endless Summer-on as anything but a scheming, long-range powerplay to ensure an eventual end of him having full power.

Honestly, I can only imagine what Al Jardine privately thinks (and says) about Mike’s narcissism and back-stabbing. All things considered, Al has been incredibly, incredibly gracious to not publicly call it out directly and often.

The only time a BB documentary could possibly ever really get to the heart of so, so much stuff that has affected this band is to have a significant section dedicated to that one topic. The big elephant in the room, now that substance abuse has been covered exceedingly well already. Yet of course this coverage in any properly-made content won’t ever happen until the players are no longer with us.

Al was so underrated and underappreciated by The BBs and Mike in particular. Al is pretty much why SIP has any moments at all.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 06:38:07 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 06:07:03 PM »

Mike seems to not like anybody.... Roll Eyes

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2017, 06:23:57 PM »

Mike seems to not like anybody.... Roll Eyes

In the grand scheme of all things myKe luHv  and his insidious plot to become King of Everything Beach Boys, with Carl and Dennis gone, he could swoop down with his claws of jealousy and conveniently carry on with the M&B circus act and dump Brian and Al along the road. But it didn't work because the hate for him multiplied many times over and that sad old codger can't, in any way, backpedal his way out of his self induced hell.  Evil

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2017, 06:43:49 PM »

OSD is like the Batman of Mike Love bullshit.... Evil

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2017, 07:03:43 PM »

Al was never really fired nor did he quit in the early 90s. He basically just sat out most of the SIP sessions. As far as I know, he never left the touring band during this time.

There were internal things brewing even back then. The Peter Ames Carlin book mentions an attempt to oust Al several years prior, in 1990.

Al's 1998 departure was apparently, as detailed to a certain degree in the Stebbins/Marks book, a result of Al disagreeing with Mike taking over producing BB tours. Carl didn't put up a fight apparently. Al probably saw that essentially becoming an employee of Mike's company could see him easily edged out, which is precisely what happened. Thus Al was essentially s**tcanned. His making a stink probably just hastened his ouster.

I don't buy that Mike has hated Al since '62. I think they have some sort of affection for each other. But considering business/political BS trumps even the Mike/Brian relationship, it even more easily does the Mike/Al relationship.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 07:05:15 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2017, 07:08:21 PM »

http://troun.tripod.com/mikelove.html

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2017, 07:10:39 PM »

http://troun.tripod.com/mikelove.html

Link's not working

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 07:12:21 PM »

I know that mike and al (and the other guys i think) went to therapy in the 90s for al to talk about how he had been mistreated and worked stuff out so he could come back

This is detailed in the Goldmine interview. The therapist was one of Mike's friends, which to me doesn't sound like the best choice for unfettered impartiality.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2017, 07:15:22 PM »

Hrmmmm, not sure if it's a sketchy website. The link is working okay for me so far.

Here's that site's main articles page with links to a bunch of items:

http://troun.tripod.com/articles.html

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2017, 07:18:23 PM »

Here's an interesting June 1993 interview with Mike that is similarly full of piss and vinegar:

http://www.surfermoon.com/interviews/mike693.html

It's amazing how different Mike's attitude is now. In 1993, he's talking about imminently retiring and calling the BBs "lovingly irrelevant."
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 07:20:42 PM by HeyJude » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2017, 07:21:09 PM »

This is detailed in the Goldmine interview. The therapist was one of Mike's friends, which to me doesn't sound like the best choice for unfettered impartiality.

Hmmm...I guess the erotic hypnotist must've been busy that week

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2017, 08:20:49 PM »

Right. There was a brilliant therapist ready to help them...but Mike and Al refused to talk to Dr. Landy.  LOL
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2017, 08:23:52 PM »

Mike probably should've been talking to Dr Ruth LOL

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx