gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:37:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: moog bass on holland  (Read 1722 times)
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2006, 07:50:42 PM »

I've been listening to Holland a lot lately.  I truly love this album, especially SOS and the final three tracks.  Leaving This Town is incredible, deeply moving, as is Only with You, and I truly adore Funky Pretty.  I also like the waltz-time Big Sur a lot.

However, I feel that the moog bass sound used on California and (to a slightly lesser extent) Trader seriously detracts from those songs.  It just sounds extremely cheesy and dated.  The Boys used the moog bass so much more subtly and effectively on Surf's Up and CATP, especially songs like Long Promised Road, Feel Flows and Marcella.

I think California and Trader would be much stronger tracks if they had used real bass.  For cripe sakes, they had Blondie in the lineup then and he was a mean bass player.  Could've used Al too, of course.  Does anyone agree with me?

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 08:06:30 PM »

I absolutely love Trader, and its definitely one of the songs that REALLY sucked me into the Beach Boys. At first, like yourself, I felt the moog was a bit cheesy in it and wondered if it was done intentionally. But the more I listened to it the more it just blended deeper into the song, and now I just think its the right touch. Could it 'sound' better? Maybe, but not for me!

That Trader, what a fuckin tune.

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
busy doin nothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 07:12:50 AM »

I absolutely love Trader, and its definitely one of the songs that REALLY sucked me into the Beach Boys. At first, like yourself, I felt the moog was a bit cheesy in it and wondered if it was done intentionally. But the more I listened to it the more it just blended deeper into the song, and now I just think its the right touch. Could it 'sound' better? Maybe, but not for me!

That Trader, what a fodain tune.

I agree Trader is a great song.  I think Carl was a phenomenal producer, and overall I like the job he did with the song, I just question whether the moog was a good choice for it.

My much stronger complaint is with California.  I think it could be a really great song but the moog totally ruins it for me.

"Your rent bill is high, so you work to try and get by . . . "
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 03:28:18 PM »

Oddly enough, I LOVE that moog sound.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runalot
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 01:03:47 AM »

I love that moog sound, too!!! =)

The things she does to me when she makes love to me...
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx