gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:52:47 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Top 3 Favorite Solo Albums  (Read 8461 times)
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2017, 06:02:22 AM »

Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE...if this one doesn't count because it was a reworking of a work stalled just short of 'in progress' I'll accept that.  If not...if it's still eligible...this to me is the runaway winner.  A myth dispelled.  A dream come true...especially in terms of healing Brian immeasurably...a goal line crossed...a demon slayed.  AND...a great gathering of music all on one disc.  The accompanying tours and shows through 2004 and 2005 were all MAGIC.  [and many of us met one another somewhere along the line while it was all unfolding]

After that?  Pacific Ocean Blue.  Dennis rising above the line imposed on him by those 2 assholes...Murry and Mike...and proving to anyone with real ears that next to Brian he was the MOST CREATIVE guy in the band...and then some.  He might have grown and come to it slowly but when he got there...PRESTO!!!  That he was deep in the throes of the prisons both self imposed and also constructed by the previously alluded to fools meant that it was over at exactly the time he scaled that mountain not achievable for the others [not confined to the realty of wrongly diagnosed mental illness] and that remains the biggest shame of all.  Jealousy and 'love' can be lethal.

No Pier Pressure.  There is one Beach Boy left who isn't stuck living and reliving only the 1962 to 1966 time-frame with reluctant nods to anything which followed.   Guest vocalists?  Brian always worked with other vocalists both in and out of the band setting.  I can't wait for the next album.  I'm ready to ROCK...and roll.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honourable Mention to Postcards, Lucky Old Sun, 88 and Youngblood/Carl Wilson.  Live in Vegas was pretty special as a live effort too.  Oh...and Orange Crate Art is a terrific surprise.  Well done Van Dyke...and you too Bri.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:56:05 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2017, 06:25:51 AM »

1. POB
2. Postcards
3. Youngblood / Carl Wilson

« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 06:29:46 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Vale
Smiley Smile Associate

Drink a little drip drip drip drip drink a little

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2017, 08:33:24 AM »

Hi
Here is my top 3!

1. DW - Pacific Ocean Blue
Definitely the most underrated solo album in music history! Smiley

2. BW - Imagination
There are two songs that are worth the whole album in my opinion: Cry and Lay Down Burden. This album came out after the loss of Carl, so I' think it's very emotional.

3. BW - I Just Wasn't Made For These Times
I like the type of sound on songs like Love and Mercy and Let The Wind Blow. Different.

It is always hard to list a ranking for a BB fan..

The Beach Boys' music and history have marked the most important stages of my life so far.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2017, 05:15:30 AM »

2. BW - Imagination
There are two songs that are worth the whole album in my opinion: Cry and Lay Down Burden. This album came out after the loss of Carl, so I' think it's very emotional.

I also think ‘She Says That’s She Needs Me’ is one of Brian’s better solo tunes...I feel it’s the closest his solo voice ever sounded to his 60s voice.

I also would love for Brian to remake ‘Dream Angel’ with a far less influence from adult contemporary production. Imagine it has a Spector production with Ronettes style vocals and this is a killer track.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2017, 05:46:19 AM »

2. Surfin' Round The World

I had never heard of this until your post. Listening now and I love this album!

Makaha at Midnight is such a great instrumental.

Is this album worth a darn? I'll admit that I love Bruce's Surfers' Pajama Party but never gave Surfin' 'Round the World a chance for whatever reason.

I really dig it! Maybe it’s because I’d never heard of it before, but it’s a really pleasant surprise.

Standouts for me:

Makaha at Midnight
Down Under
Biarritz
Jersey Channel Islands
Surf-a-nova
Malibu

I actually haven’t heard Surfers Pajama Party, guess I’ll put that on my list too.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
theradiantradicchio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2017, 10:17:32 PM »

1. Both Pacific Ocean Blue and Bambu.
2. Brian Wilson 88.
3. No Pier Pressure.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 06:55:40 AM »

Pacific Ocean Blue

BW '88

BW Imagination

Honorable Mention: Country Love (sadly, unreleased to date)
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 08:28:36 AM »

POB
BW88
NPP
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 08:35:45 AM »

1. POB

2. OCA

3. BW88

I couldn’t pick which was better between 2 and 3. I think the best of BW88 is better than the best of OCA but OCA is more consistent in my opinion.
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 08:37:10 AM »

Interesting pick, OCA.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 09:22:09 AM »

"Orange Crate Art" has probably grown on me, in terms of how little I was interested in it when it came out versus how much I like it now, more than any BB solo album and maybe any BB-related album.

Stunning vocal arrangements, awesome (even if run through a harmonizer/synthesizer) vocals from Brian (I've never been as bothered by that mid-90s Paley/IJWMFTT/OCA Brian voice), and great songs (and sometimes good lyrics) from VDP. I like most that the songs sound largely *nothing* like what BW or the BBs would ever put on an album.

"San Francisco" might be one of the most impressive stacked vocal performances in the BB/BB solo catalog in my opinion.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 09:25:32 AM »

Agree on the above, and tellingly, OCA is OOP now and quite pricey on the used market. 
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 09:29:01 AM »

Agree on the above, and tellingly, OCA is OOP now and quite pricey on the used market. 

The physical CD does appear to be out of print (though there are some pretty cheap used copies on Amazon, in the $7-$12 range).

It can still be purchased as an MP3 download, and it's also streaming on Amazon (and this I would presume Spotify, etc., though I can't say for certain).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 09:29:41 AM »

Yes it is, I LOVE the album cover and am always crossing my fingers it’ll somehow get a vinyl release.
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2017, 09:30:19 AM »

The physical CD does appear to be out of print (though there are some pretty cheap used copies on Amazon, in the $7-$12 range).

It can still be purchased as an MP3 download, and it's also streaming on Amazon (and this I would presume Spotify, etc., though I can't say for certain).
It’s on Spotify.
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2017, 11:58:52 AM »

1 POB
2 BWPS
3 NPP

Grin

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Scaroline No
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2017, 05:03:00 PM »

1. Pacific Ocean Blue
2. That Lucky Old Sun
3. Brian Wilson Presents Smile
Tord
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2017, 05:09:08 PM »

1. Brian Wilson Presents Smile
2. Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin
3. Brian Wilson '88
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 06, 2017, 06:03:30 PM »

BWPS
Gershwin
Imagination

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2017, 06:42:21 PM »

BWPS
Gershwin
Imagination

One of my favorite moments from his solo career is the wordless middle eight during ‘Nothing But Love’ - that whole song actually is one of my favorite things he’s ever done.

I need to give that album a few more listens

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2017, 07:25:52 PM »

Brian Wilson Presents Smile

Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin

What I Really Want For Christmas

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2017, 03:19:16 AM »

Pacific Ocean Blue

BW 88

Bambu
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx