gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 06:54:57 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Top 3 Favorite Solo Albums  (Read 8462 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2017, 10:30:47 AM »

With the release of Mike’s solo album, I kinda wanted to start some discussion on our favorite solo albums from The Beach Boys. Whether it be Bruce, Dennis, Mike, Carl, Al, David, or Brian, each of these guys has spent time in the studio doing their own thing. What are your top 3 solo albums and why?

1. Pacific Ocean Blue

This is the most real sounding solo album I’ve ever heard from any of these guys. There are no modern studio tricks, no pro-tools. I feel like this warm vintage analog sound is something that will be completely lost for any more solo or studio albums by these guys. I think Brian came close on the Gershwin album, but it’s all still very crisp and clean (and I’m not bashing that clean sound, but it just doesn’t feel as warm as those old pre-digital era recordings...and yes, I know BWRG was recorded analog).

Another part of that real sound is the songwriting. Dennis was trying to make a statement, not a conventional hit, so each song is a powerful statement from his heart that isn’t warped by a record company wanting a top 40 hit.

2. BW88

It’s a shame that such a great album came out of the depths of one of the darkest times in Brian’s life. Which makes me feel weird for liking this album so much. When I listen I usually ask myself “how much did Landy have to do with this album?” but usually this thought doesn’t last long and I’m completely overtaken by, what I consider, Love You part 2.

I love the synths, the songwriting is fantastic (that hook in ‘Baby Let Your Hair Grow Long’ is one of Brian’s coolest solo creations. I love ‘Let It Shine’ and if Brian had zip to do with the songwriting I still wouldn’t care. ‘Rio Grande’ is really cool - snippets of songs that paint a cool picture of cowboys and Indians.

3. Postcards from California

So I haven’t heard this years (Apple Music doesn’t offer it and I currently can’t load it onto my phone from my computer). But Al just sounds so darn good on this thing. You can really tell that he put a ton of work into this. There is a great one on this album, I think it’s called ‘San Simeon’ and it sounds kinda like ‘Don’t Worry Baby’ but it’s one of my favorite solo songs from any of these guys.
_______

Gershwin and NPP are up there too for me. I think vocally the Disney album is one of Brian’s best. I need to give Dave’s latest album a listen one of these days.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
KDS
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 10:49:10 AM »

1.  Brian Wilson - That Lucky Old Sun - I think it's by far the most consistent of Brian's solo albums.   I also think it's the best produced of BW's solo career.   Plus, a nice mix of uptempo songs and ballads make for a nice listening experience. 

2.  Brian Wilson - What I Really Want for Christmas - I had to really think about my second favorite solo album, as there a few fighting for the #2 spot - Imagination and No Pier Pressure among them.  But, I'm going with my gut.  I listen to this album almost as much as I do The Beach Boys Christmas album this time of year.  I love the sound of this album, as there's a certain looseness to it, and it sounds to me like Brian and his band are having a fun time making it. 

3.  Brian Wilson - Imagination - I knew it was going to be one of the Brian / Joe Thomas albums.  I'd giving this one the slight edge over No Pier Pressure.  While I like the sound of No Pier Pressure better, and the high points might be just a little higher, I think the low points are much much lower.   Plus, I really like the album.   It was a long road from frog in the throat vocals to shouty vocals, but Brian's older voice seems to finally find itself on this album.   

*****I should say that I've actually never listened to any of the albums from Carl, David, Bruce, or Mike, so I can't rate them.   
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 11:20:25 AM »

Nice choices and comments from both of you. KDS, have you at least heard the Youngblood song, What You Do To Me ? Opinions are mixed on that one, but I always thought that it would have been a hit if released as a Beach Boys single. I love that one. Carl sounds absolutely incredible on it. Probably my favorite Carl solo song. Up there with Heaven.

My favorite solo albums...

1) Pacific Ocean Blue (No doubt about it. An all-time favorite of mine. Along with another POB - Plastic Ono Band)

2) BW '88

3) That Lucky Old Sun (tough choice - I'm also a big WIRWFC fan and BWPS is up there too, as is Bambu)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 03:26:13 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »

Nice choices and comments from both of you. KDS, have you at least heard the Youngblood song, What You Do To Me ? Opinions are mixed on that one, but I always thought that it would have been a hit if released as a Beach Boys single. I love that one. Carl sounds absolutely incredible on it. Probably my favorite Carl solo song. Up there with Heaven.

I don't think I have.   I'll check it out.
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 11:31:16 AM »

1. Pacific Ocean Blue

2. Bambu (If that counts)

3. No Pier Pressure
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 11:39:37 AM »

The songs from Carl's solo album(s) sound better on the couple of circulating live shows from his 1981 tour. I much prefer the live versions of stuff like "Bright Lights" and "The Grammy" on the "My Father's Place" gig compared to the studio album.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 12:51:51 PM »

I’ve been listening to his self title album. Love the sound of ‘Hold Me’ - has such a great Marcella vibe!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 02:23:50 PM »

1. That Lucky Old Sun

2. Surfin' Round The World

3. Pacific Ocean Blue
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 02:27:18 PM »

1. Brian Wilson Presents Smile
2. Pacific Ocean Blue
3. Brian Wilson '88

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 02:33:28 PM by Mike Garneau » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 02:36:58 PM »

I had never heard of this until your post. Listening now and I love this album!

Makaha at Midnight is such a great instrumental.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 02:37:45 PM »

Two are easy----POB and BW88.

The third is either (thinking out loud here) BWPS, NPP or Postcard.

The last two have closing tracks that I can't warm to. So #3 is BWPS.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 02:38:39 PM »

« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 02:40:10 PM by Gabo » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 02:40:44 PM »

I want to someday forget that this album exists.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 02:42:05 PM »

That's number 2.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 02:42:32 PM by Gabo » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 02:42:16 PM »

Least it’s a singer-songwriter album compared to “unleash the love”

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2017, 02:44:18 PM »

Least it’s a singer-songwriter album compared to “unleash the love”

You read my mind! My number one Beach Boys solo album is:

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2017, 02:58:31 PM »

I want Brian Wilson to unleash the smackdown with the rock and roll album....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2017, 03:28:28 PM »

rab2591, it's a really awesome album! Shows Bruce had great chops in the surf genre. He wrote songs with Hal Blaine and Ray Pohlman on here, which I think is awesome.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2017, 05:05:13 PM »

For me it’s Pacific Ocean Blue, Brian Wilson’s 1988 album.... and Surfer’s Pyjama Party
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2017, 06:04:59 PM »

3) Brian Wilson - No Pier Pressure

2) Dennis Wilson - Pacific Ocean Blue

1) Brian Wilson - Lucky Old Sun
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2017, 06:43:58 PM »

1. Brian Wilson (1988)
A lot of quality songs, and great digital-wall-of-sound production. This IS the best.

2. Pacific Ocean Blue (1977)
I like some of BB songs written by Dennis better than anything on this album, but this is still a really sublime collection of songs.

3. That Lucky Old Sun (2008)
The best-crafted BB album in some fourty years.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:43:18 PM by Watamushi(Polly Poller) » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2017, 08:08:55 PM »

I had never heard of this until your post. Listening now and I love this album!

Makaha at Midnight is such a great instrumental.

Is this album worth a darn? I'll admit that I love Bruce's Surfers' Pajama Party but never gave Surfin' 'Round the World a chance for whatever reason.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2017, 11:42:18 PM »

1- Youngblood - Carl Wilson

2- Carl Wilson - self titled

3- Orange Crate Art - Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2017, 01:48:05 AM »

1. BW88
I like the production and the songwriting is excellent on the first five tracks and Rio Grande. The other songs are pretty good too. Easily my most-played BB solo album.

2. POB
I know this is usually considered the best solo album and I do like it but I hardly ever play it these days. Dennis was a good songwriter but I enjoy his stuff a lot more when it's surrounded by enough Brian material to balance it out a bit, like on 20/20 or Carl and the Passions.

3. BWRG
This is just a good listen. I'm not a big fan of The Like in I Love You (whoever wrote the lyrics was trying a little too hard) but some of the other stuff is really good, like Brian's lead vocal on I've Got a Crush on You, or It Ain't Necessarily So, 's Wonderful... Good album.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 03:50:54 AM by phirnis » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2017, 05:28:26 AM »

Tough call, but I'll go with, in a very tight race for #1;

1) POB
2.) NPP
3.) Imagination

Honorable mention to TLOS, Youngblood, and Postcard
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print