gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680739 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 12:22:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: RIP David Cassidy  (Read 3493 times)
ivrimark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 20, 2017, 05:56:39 AM »

A little nod to David Cassidy, who did a pretty decent cover of Darlin'. I especially like the unusual intro, since I now can understand the lyric "Keep thinkin' 'bout Darlin'".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqMsEQwxZzY
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 07:56:56 AM by ivrimark » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 06:24:07 AM »

He hasn't passed away yet. Everyone seems to be so eager to write him off before his actual time comes.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 07:40:13 AM »

Simply typing "David Cassidy" on a Google search shows countless headlines showing he's not died but he's out of his coma
ivrimark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 07:56:19 AM »

Pardon the "RIP" in the subject line.  Mea culpa.

I am eager to write off Mr. Manson, though. . .
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 06:30:53 PM »

You can put the RIP back.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 06:32:02 PM »

Just officially found out.

Thankfully he is not suffering any more

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 06:33:27 PM »

Yeah, it's official...I'm gonna merge this with the thread I made

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 08:14:31 PM »

Brian's statement

"I’m very sad to hear about David Cassidy," Wilson tweeted. "There were times in the mid-1970s when he would come over to my house and we even started writing a song together. He was a very talented and nice person. Love & Mercy to David and his family."

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 11:38:05 PM »

Sad. When I was a kid I thought he was the same person as Davy Jones.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 01:39:11 AM »

Was DC the first person to have a hit with I Write The Songs ?
The Bruce involvement also includes the production of the DC album The Higher They Climb, also hasn't DC opened for the BB's a few times in recent years.
RIP, he sure had some difficulties
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 04:49:27 AM »

I'd heard (earlier this year, I think) that he had dementia, the same form that he watched overtake his mother. He had such a hard road ahead of him. At least I'm glad he doesn't have to go through that anymore, but 67 is way too young.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 07:24:59 AM »

I'm a second generation Partridge Family diehard fan, courtesy the reruns in the 80's. I'd take heat from my friends for digging them and playing their albums, but I learned not to care if I got enjoyment from certain music that wasn't as cool. It's all about finding the good stuff and connecting.

At that time you could go to yard sales/flea markets and get Partridge Family albums for 50 cents or a buck. I stocked up. Still have one to go to complete the list, but man was that a fun time. I also bought up a bunch of PF books, biographies and histories, etc in those pre-internet days. Good times.

David Cassidy was a true talent, a musician's musician as a vocalist and a solid stage performer. "I Think I Love You" is still near the top of my all-time favorites list. A terrific single coming near the end of the classic era of the LA session players. David's vocal nails it.

What sticks out to me too is reading about David's casting on the PF television show as 'Keith Partridge'. The focus was originally going to be Shirley Jones. The producers were planning to have a studio pro dub the 'Keith' vocals on the records...but then they found out David could actually sing, and not just that but sing to where he could cut hit records. David recalled walking into one of the first sessions with his guitar, assuming he may play, but then he saw the lineup of some of the best studio players in LA including Mike Deasy and Tommy Tedesco and said "oooohhhh kay then..." and put his guitar case aside.  Grin  But he sang the sh*t out of those tunes.

So the producers hit the jackpot casting David, but realized something. He could do it all. Good looks, sense of humor, talented actor, talented singer...they thought he'd come off as too good on screen and cause a backlash. No one can be that good! That's what they thought. So they had to put a dent in the armor. They made the Keith character something of a dim bulb, they dumbed him down. It worked.

David also said the constant touring schedule in the early 70's when he was at his peak as a teen idol nearly killed him, literally. They had him on an impossible treadmill, but he made it through.

RIP to a great musician.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 02:41:45 PM »

Very sad. At least he's left the hell that is dementia behind. Rest in peace, David.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 06:27:16 AM »

GF - you nailed it, "I Think I Love You" is an amazing little single, an all-time great.

"Cruise to Harlem" is a little-known gem as well... and his The Higher They Climb album is pretty solid and has some great self-deprecating humor.

RIP
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx