gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:23:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Malcolm Young AC/DC R.I.P.  (Read 2714 times)
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2017, 06:23:05 AM »

Sadly another taken far too soon, poor guy had been suffering for some years.
Only 63  Angry
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 06:24:53 AM by Rob Dean » Logged
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 09:13:56 AM »

Very sad news. I knew he was suffering with dementia but I wasn't ready to hear about his passing this morning. One of my favorite rhythm guitar players in rock music. RIP
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 11:10:58 AM »

Ahh man, this sucks :-/

One of my favorite rock bands of all time, inspired me to get my first guitar.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2017, 12:17:26 PM »

Been listening to AC/DC since I heard of the passing. Just want to list some songs here if anyone is bored and hasn’t really listened to this band. They have some insanely catchy hooks, Malcom Young’s rhythm guitaring is a major reason why these songs have so much power. An interesting thing I read earlier: Angus Young once said that Malcolm’s guitaring was like the engine of a car and Angus’ was like the bright color paint on the car. Anywho, if you’ve got the time, crank up your stereo and listen to some classics...

War Machine
Have A Drink On Me
Moneytalks
Who Made Who

The entirety of Back In Black is an amazing classic with nothing but great songs.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2017, 12:20:37 PM »

First brother George last month and now Malcolm. What a bummer.

I hope he has found peace now----dementia must be hell.

R.I.P. both.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/malcolm-young-acdc-guitarist-and-co-founder-dead-at-64-w512164

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
bluesno1fann
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2017, 03:47:32 PM »

First brother George last month and now Malcolm. What a bummer.

I hope he has found peace now----dementia must be hell.

R.I.P. both.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/malcolm-young-acdc-guitarist-and-co-founder-dead-at-64-w512164

Indeed.... one can only imagine the grief the Young family are currently experiencing with the recent losses of George and now Malcolm..... May they Rock In Peace
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 09:22:23 PM »

This was sad to hear.

I'll pass on the best line about Malcolm's musicianship and guitar skills I've heard which I told one of my student groups today, and it was in a random guitar article I read in the 80's. Basically said that Malcolm Young's right (strumming) arm should be bronzed and put in a hall of fame whenever he's done with music. That summed it up for me, and as a younger player I began listening to his parts on any AC/DC record that I'd hear. The rhythm guitar played by Malcolm was the heartbeat of that band, no doubt. He was one of the best rock rhythm guitarists of all time.

Moneytalks is one of the best riffs they ever wrote...it surprises me how many younger AC/DC fans I work with don't really know that tune. A friend of mine went to see that tour, and they did drop the Angus Bucks at one point in the show like they did in the video, and he got one. Pretty damn cool.  Smiley

Here's one for the musicians...AC/DC's greatest strength in terms of production, arranging, and the sound of those records...leaving space for the riffs to breathe. Listen to a few of the classics and you'll hear plenty of glorious, open space...the brilliance of their riffs is that they never overplayed for the sake of filling the bar with notes. The open spaces were as vital as the notes themselves. Malcolm as rhythm guitarist can take a bow for that.  Smiley

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 11:59:50 AM »

Great post, GF. There’s this section in ‘Have A Drink On Me’ that perfectly encapsulates that “breathing” you’re talking about. Right at the 3:10 mark the guitars play a really simple progression that is so powerful because it gets to breathe...it’s in my top 5 favorite moments from their music all because of that...I don’t think the song is that widely loved, either.

Sometimes less is more...even Brian Wilson thought this way at times (bass solo in ‘Dont Talk’).

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 06:20:27 PM »

Yeah, AC/DC was the hard rock band  with swing.  OR Roll if you will.  Breathing.  Maicolm, a truly great rhythm player.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
KDS
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 11:36:50 AM »

My heart goes out to Angus.  Losing George, then Malcolm pretty close together. 

Another one gone too soon, but as Dave Mustaine from Megadeth said, it's a little bittersweet because while we're sad Malcolm is gone, it's good that his suffering from dementia is over. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx