gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:26:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1995 studio footage. Brian, Mike and Paley  (Read 5665 times)
ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2017, 03:32:57 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUHUGXDIhz0

About 50 minutes in. Studio footage. I have not seen it before (i might be blind and stupid though).
Brian and Paley. Mike enters. Talk about Carl coming in to record guitar parts.

Sounds like Desert Drive.

//RD

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 04:40:43 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUHUGXDIhz0

About 50 minutes in. Studio footage. I have not seen it before (i might be blind and stupid though).
Brian and Paley. Mike enters. Talk about Carl coming in to record guitar parts.

Sounds like Desert Drive.

//RD

Fascinating! New to me too. Thanks, Reggie.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Bittersweet-Insanity
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2017, 04:52:54 AM »

yea, i actually discovered the original video and posted about this awhile ago. The song in the studio is Baywatch Nights. http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,24864.msg623005.html#msg623005
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 05:41:51 AM »

This video is packed with emotions and observations...

1) Mike and Brian seem to be enjoying eachother's precense
2) P
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2017, 05:42:57 AM »

1) Mike and Brian seem to be enjoying eachother's precense
2) Paley seems to be leading the session more than BW.
3) Brian seems very paranoid and mentally sick during his interview, which breaks my heart. Constantly talking about being scared.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2017, 07:21:49 AM »

yea, i actually discovered the original video and posted about this awhile ago. The song in the studio is Baywatch Nights. http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,24864.msg623005.html#msg623005

You did indeed. Regrettably I never got round to checking it out. Thanks for identifying the song.

I think it's less daunting on YouTube where the uploader allows you to pick out individual segments. The studio session is amazing!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2017, 09:36:01 AM »

Adult Child posted this link a while back:

Brian Wilson & Mike Love on E.T. 1995

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQGb379AntA

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,2412.msg606419.html#msg606419

It features footage from this shot and also Brian and Mike at the piano demonstrating the new song.

3) Brian seems very paranoid and mentally sick during his interview, which breaks my heart. Constantly talking about being scared.

Brian definitely doesn't behave like he was in a good situation healthy-wise. Thanks he's so much better today
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 09:41:33 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 09:52:50 AM »

It features footage from this shot and also Brian and Mike at the piano demonstrating the new song.

Brian definitely doesn't behave like he was in a good situation healthy-wise. Thanks he's so much better today

Consider this:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,24864.msg623080.html#msg623080

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2017, 11:19:36 AM »

The raw footage is quite interesting, and weird.

For some reason, someone hired a freelance videographer to document Mike and Brian talking about possibly doing some stuff together? I'm curious who commissioned this.

Is the "studio" listening session more just staged for cameras? Didn't they have something more engaging to play back than a boring bass-and-drums backing track?

Mike seems to be meeting Mark Linett for the first time in this footage.

They all seem to be sitting around a bit aimlessly in the control room footage.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 12:18:48 PM »

This is a very historically fascinating document. We're lucky this footage survives.

It's rough seeing Brian smoking at this stage in his life. How long after this point did he quit for good? Soon after, I'm thinking?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2017, 01:01:58 PM »

Boy, if only to know what that brief conversation between Mike Love and David Leaf was about...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2017, 01:08:08 PM »

Boy, if only to know what that brief conversation between Mike Love and David Leaf was about...

That's what I was thinking too. Is it confirmed that Mike knew what Leaf looked like (for Mike to have been able to know who that guy sitting there in dark glasses was) at that point? Had they actually met in person before?
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2017, 02:19:48 PM »

That's what I was thinking too. Is it confirmed that Mike knew what Leaf looked like (for Mike to have been able to know who that guy sitting there in dark glasses was) at that point? Had they actually met in person before?

Oh yeah.  Leaf's book was first published in 1976, nearly 20 years earlier

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2017, 03:22:57 PM »

It's rough seeing Brian smoking at this stage in his life. How long after this point did he quit for good? Soon after, I'm thinking?

Probably not long after. I remember reading that Melinda was upset when Brian started smoking, and got him to wear nicotine patches to kick the habit.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2017, 09:12:34 PM »

In the second edition of David's book (the 1985 version simply entitled THE BEACH BOYS), he describes a Beach Boys convention a few years after the publication of the first edition where Mike tried to burn a hole in his head with a very concentrated staredown from across the room. Clearly Mike was not happy with how he was represented in David's book, the success of which prompted the authorized Priess bio that quickly followed.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2017, 09:47:53 PM »

2) Paley seems to be leading the session more than BW.

Sadly, I think that's become the norm.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 01:08:04 AM »

Very interesting to hear at least at one point, Brian was considering having the Bee Gees record with the Beach Boys.  That would have been pretty cool.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2017, 02:46:33 AM »

Consider this:
http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,24864.msg623080.html#msg623080

Yeah, I agree with that. It's just good to see he's so much better now. And then to think that there are people who say that Brian is in the same situation only with Melinda in place of Landy....  Roll Eyes

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2017, 08:02:02 AM »

In the second edition of David's book (the 1985 version simply entitled THE BEACH BOYS), he describes a Beach Boys convention a few years after the publication of the first edition where Mike tried to burn a hole in his head with a very concentrated staredown from across the room. Clearly Mike was not happy with how he was represented in David's book, the success of which prompted the authorized Priess bio that quickly followed.

Thanks, I guess that answers my question. Unless for some reason, Mike didn’t recognize David due to the dark glasses. It must’ve been extraordinarily awkward for them to be in the same room together for several minutes. If Mike hadn’t been distracted by his son being there, it probably would’ve been worse.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 11:19:45 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2017, 07:00:21 PM »

I agree that it's great to see Brian and Mike enjoying each other's company.  It makes me think of my cousins I haven't seen in 20 years... I'm sure we would be able to find common ground no matter what... we're family.

One thing that strikes me about the footage is the difference in Brian between the beach scene versus the interview later.  He seems so relaxed and happy at the beach, no pressure, just taking a walk with Mike.  During the interview, the pressure comes, and all the awkward gestures and odd answers to questions start to happen.  I think as fans we see more of the latter in him, because we don't get to see Brian in his natural element very often. 
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2017, 09:50:53 PM »

I agree that it's great to see Brian and Mike enjoying each other's company.  It makes me think of my cousins I haven't seen in 20 years... I'm sure we would be able to find common ground no matter what... we're family.

One thing that strikes me about the footage is the difference in Brian between the beach scene versus the interview later.  He seems so relaxed and happy at the beach, no pressure, just taking a walk with Mike.  During the interview, the pressure comes, and all the awkward gestures and odd answers to questions start to happen.  I think as fans we see more of the latter in him, because we don't get to see Brian in his natural element very often. 

I think even now they'd get together and have a good time, it's only when they're apart (which is admittedly all the time now, since 2012) that the bad vibes (particularly for Mike and particularly of a business nature) appear. Apparently they were still catching up for dinners and family events and so on until relatively recently.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2017, 01:01:12 AM »

In a way, footage like this humanises Mike in a way because it shows you that all the bullshit lawsuits and music squabbles aside these guys are still cousins first. It's a shame The Beach Boys reunion ended the way it did but at the end of the day peace between the Wilson and the Love households is something that i'm sure a lot of us wish for above all else.

I think they just need a joint mediator, ala Foskett. (but can't see that happening now, after Jeff deferring to the other side, reasons for what are still sketchy)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:03:40 AM by SamMcK » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx