gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
622823 Posts in 25047 Topics by 3556 Members - Latest Member: 13thBB December 16, 2017, 10:12:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dreamer: The Making of Dennis Wilsonís Pacific Ocean Blue  (Read 1623 times)
Jim Murphy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: November 15, 2017, 01:58:22 PM »

Ken Sharpís long-awaited new book Dreamer: The Making of Dennis Wilsonís Pacific Ocean Blue is now available for pre-order.

The book is available in soft-cover for $35 plus shipping and in a very limited signed hardcover edition for $55 plus shipping. The book will only be available directly from Ken and you can order your copy by emailing him at sharpk@aol.com

From Ken: ď40 years since its initial release, Dennis Wilsonís Pacific Ocean Blue, the first solo album by a member of the Beach Boys, is widely regarded as a cult masterpiece, a stark confessional vehicle of naked primal emotion and deep pain. Dreamer: The Making of Dennis Wilsonís Pacific Ocean Blue is the first book devoted to the creation of this seminal rock and roll classic.Ē

ďVia extensive interviews conducted with many of the recordís main principals numbering songwriting collaborators, engineers, session musicians, record company personnel, management, fellow Beach Boys, friends, family, music writers and more, the 416-page book is structured as an oral history and chronicles the fascinating back story behind this extraordinary album. Decades on, the album is eliciting retroactive praise and accolades with the 2008 CD reissue selected by the likes of Rolling Stone, Mojo and Uncut as reissue of the year.Ē

Apart from being a great all-around guy and tremendously talented writer and singer-songwriter (check out his music on his website (www.ken-sharp.com), Ken is one of the most knowledgeable and enthusiastic Beach Boys fans I have ever met. I did not know Ken while I was researching and writing Becoming the Beach Boys, 1961-1963. But I certainly knew of Ken. He was hard to miss. His name kept coming up time after time after time. In Goldmine, Record Collector, Rock Cellar. His superb rock journalism and insightful interviews with the Boys were consumed, re-consumed, cross-referenced, scribbled on index cards, scrawled across dry erase boards, appreciated, and generously quoted (and footnoted).

I recall thinking, ďIf I ever meet this guy Ken Sharp, I have got to thank him for these essential, ground-breaking interviews.Ē He always asked the right questions. Well, I think it was a week or two after Becoming was published when I got the first nibble of interest. The phone rang and it was Ken. He could not have been kinder or more enthusiastic about the book. Writing can be a lonely, solitary road, and youíre never quite sure if you have anything worthwhile. Ken was such a contagious shot of literary/music adrenalin, and we spoke for a long time about the Boys, the early days, and music. We finished speaking and arranged a time for a follow-up interview that appeared in Goldmine. When I hung up the phone, I remember feeling the first hint, after nine years, that maybe I had written something worth contributing to the Beach Boys story. It was a great, gratifying feeling. So, thank you, Ken. You may never fully know how much that meant to me.

And SOON . . .we will be reading and enjoying Kenís Dreamer: The Making of Dennis Wilsonís Pacific Ocean Blue. What a terrific gift for every Beach Boys and Dennis Wilson fan. 416 pages dedicated to Dennisí stunning debut. Make room on your bookshelf.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 02:24:58 PM by Jim Murphy » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 08:42:00 AM »

Everyone on here really should order a copy - Ken has done a fantastic job, and was also cool enough to request the use of my POB sessionography in the book, which I gladly obliged...

http://ken-sharp.com/dennis-wilson/index.html
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2017, 08:54:19 AM »

Ordered mine earlier this week, can't wait to receive it.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2017, 04:34:13 PM »

Very cool. Thanks for the heads-up!
Mike Garneau
Smiley Smile Associate

Buy some bananas and apricots.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 04:40:17 PM »

Thanks for bringing it to my attention! I'm definitely getting a copy of this!
GoogaMooga
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 11:57:04 PM »

Me too! Gotta act fast on this one.
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 11:39:09 AM »

Hardback's already sold out apparently.

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 04:35:40 PM »

Paid for mine last week, and it's in the mail.....can't wait!!
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 01:16:54 PM »

Got home early from an appointment to find the paperback book in my mailbox. After a quick browse through all I can say is "WOW". Thank you Ken!!!!
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 02:17:17 PM »

My paperback copy arrived today. This is a very nicely and carefully designed product. Lots and lots of photos and interviews, and it looks to be quite thorough in approach.
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 02:42:53 PM »

getting really excited, (copy in the mail) his oral history for Record Collector was pretty special to me when first getting really into Dennis.

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."
Grrocks
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2017, 12:28:17 PM »

Long time lurker here with not much to contribute, but I will say that this is a must buy book for fans of Dennis and Pacific Ocean Blues.  I got mine in the mail on Saturday and have had a pretty tough time staying on task with obligations knowing that this book is waiting for me. Do yourself a favor and buy it.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2017, 12:39:09 PM »

Hey guys - picked up my copy from the PO Box the other day, and WOWWWW is the word! Fantastic, 400-plus pages in this tome, WELL WORTH it to everyone on here, I am sure!
Please support the author by ordering a copy! The more of these types of projects that generate significant interest, the more likely there will be for more to come, from various authors!
FYI, Ken tells me that he has re-ordered a small stock of the hardbacks, in case anyone prefers that edition!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx