gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 07:09:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beatles Survivor #13 Winner: HERE COMES THE SUN  (Read 36018 times)
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:54:05 AM »

The final Beatles album (though Let It Be, recorded months earlier, would be  released in 1970).

Abbey Road is the eleventh studio album by English rock band the Beatles, released on 26 September 1969 by Apple Records. The recording sessions for the album were the last in which all four Beatles participated. Although Let It Be was the final album that the Beatles completed before the band's dissolution in April 1970, most of the album had been recorded before the Abbey Road sessions began.[1] A double A-side single from the album, "Something"/"Come Together", released in October, topped the Billboard chart in the US.
Abbey Road is a rock album[2] that incorporates genres such as blues, pop, and progressive rock,[3] and it makes prominent use of the Moog synthesizer and the Leslie speaker. Side two contains a medley of song fragments edited together to form a single piece. The album was recorded amid a more enjoyable atmosphere than the Get Back/Let It Be sessions earlier in the year, but there were still frequent disagreements within the band, particularly over Paul McCartney's song "Maxwell's Silver Hammer". John Lennon had privately left the group by the time the album was released and McCartney publicly quit the following year. A 16-minute medley of several short songs comprise the majority of side two, closing with the lyric "and in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make".

Vote off the song you like THE LEAST.

Come Together
Something
Maxwell's Silver Hammer
Oh! Darling
Octopus's Garden
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Here Comes the Sun
Because
You Never Give Me Your Money
Sun King
Mean Mr. Mustard
Polythene Pam
She Came In Through the Bathroom Window
Golden Slumbers
Carry That Weight
The End
Her Majesty

My first vote is going to go for Her Majesty. It's a nice little throwaway song and little more than an after thought.

PAST SURVIVOR WINNERS

The Beatles Survivor #1 Winner: TWIST AND SHOUT
The Beatles Survivor #2 Winner: ALL MY LOVING
The Beatles Survivor #3 Winner: IF I FELL
The Beatles Survivor #4 Winner: NO REPLY
The Beatles Survivor #5 Winner: HELP!
The Beatles Survivor #6 Winner: IN MY LIFE
The Beatles Survivor #7 Winner: ELEANOR RIGBY
The Beatles Survivor #8 Winners: I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND & I FEEL FINE
The Beatles Survivor #9 Winner: A DAY IN THE LIFE
The Beatles Survivor #10 Winner: STRAWBERRY FIELDS FOREVER
The Beatles Survivor #11 Winner: WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS
The Beatles Survivor #12 Winner: HELTER SKELTER
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 11:46:30 AM by pixletwin » Logged
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:04:56 AM »

Well, Her Majesty is a pretty nice song, but it doesn't have a lot to say...

Her Majesty

By the way, I'm really glad they decided that it didn't work within the medley and just tacked it onto the end (inadvertently). I know it's easy to say when you're used to it being a certain way, but I really don't think it works between Mean Mr. Mustard and Polythene Pam.

Also, interesting to note that it was a 'secret' song originally. The tracklist ended with, 'The End'. I think they should have kept it that way.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
KDS
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 09:14:56 AM »

I'm also voting her Her Majesty, which brings the end of the greatest recording career of any rock band in history to a very anticlimactic end. 
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 09:26:41 AM »

KDS, if it makes you feel better, they weren't done recording yet. I Me Mine was recorded in 1970 and the Let It Be single was worked on rather significantly in 1970 as well. I think the Let It Be and Long and Winding Road (US) singles were as good of an ending, thematically, as you could get. But, I see your point, I've often gone back and forth on whether I think Her Majesty should have been included at all, and I probably lean 'No'. McCartney probably would have included it on his first solo album (or it may have ended up on the Anthology). I also love the "I hope we passed the audition" ending to their recording career. Absolutely love it. It never gets old for me and I think it's fitting that John get the last say since he started it all back in 1957 and that they did so laughing and having fun because it was otherwise quite sad for the fans!
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:29:58 AM by B.E. » Logged

KDS
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 09:35:36 AM »

KDS, if it makes you feel better, they weren't done recording yet. I Me Mine was recorded in 1970 and the Let It Be single was worked on rather significantly in 1970 as well. I think the Let It Be and Long and Winding Road (US) singles were as good of an ending, thematically, as you could get. But, I see your point, I've often gone back and forth on whether I think Her Majesty should have been included at all, and I probably lean 'No'. McCartney probably would have included it on his first solo album (or it may have ended up on the Anthology). I also love the "I hope we passed the audition" ending to their recording career. Absolutely love it. It never gets old for me and I think it's fitting that John get the last say since he started it all back in 1957 and that they did so laughing and having fun because it was otherwise quite sad for the fans!

Since Let It Be was the final released album, the audition line is indeed quite fitting. 

Her Majesty actually would've been a great fit for the McCartney LP. 
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 10:13:03 AM »

Her Majesty actually would've been a great fit for the McCartney LP. 

I never thought that but I can totally hear that song between The Lovely Linda and That Would Be Something.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 11:49:15 AM »

Maxwell's Silver Hammer
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 12:52:26 PM »

Maxwells Silver Hammer.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
KDS
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 12:58:39 PM »

This one's actually going to be a tough round, since I tend to think of much of Side 2 as one piece, especially Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight / The End.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 01:07:04 PM »

This one's actually going to be a tough round, since I tend to think of much of Side 2 as one piece, especially Golden Slumbers / Carry That Weight / The End.

Agreed. The medley songs will suffer a bit (IMO) for being broken up, but it would be even more unfair to only vote on the medley as a whole! She Came In Through The Bathroom Window is probably the only one that won't be hurt by being judged on its own (and maybe The End, and perhaps Golden Slumbers). I have no idea how I'm going to vote beyond Her Majesty. Gonna listen to Abbey Road a few times in the coming days to work it out!

It won't be so hard to vote for Dig It or Maggie Mae next round  Grin Though, as a huge Beatles fan, I just about love it all.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 01:10:44 PM by B.E. » Logged

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 01:44:54 PM »

Her Majesty
SMiLE-addict
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 03:00:36 PM »

Her Majesty
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 10:42:36 PM »

Gonna listen to Abbey Road a few times in the coming days to work it out!
Played AR today & I didn't like hearing "I Want You (She's So Heavy)". Everything is nails to the chalkboard in it. It is the vote.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 04:01:48 AM »

Because
KDS
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 05:32:45 AM »

Agreed. The medley songs will suffer a bit (IMO) for being broken up, but it would be even more unfair to only vote on the medley as a whole! She Came In Through The Bathroom Window is probably the only one that won't be hurt by being judged on its own (and maybe The End, and perhaps Golden Slumbers). I have no idea how I'm going to vote beyond Her Majesty. Gonna listen to Abbey Road a few times in the coming days to work it out!

It won't be so hard to vote for Dig It or Maggie Mae next round  Grin Though, as a huge Beatles fan, I just about love it all.

Yeah, same here.  For AR, I think Her Majesty and Maxwell's Silver Hammer are the two "weak" links, so after that, it's a tough call.  But, that's part of the fun. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 05:58:22 AM »

I never understood people's dislike towards "Maxwell". There is:

1) good melody, chorus catchy "as hell"
2) cool guitar flourishes
3) cool percussion/ synth which is cleverly added to add variety to each verse
4) humorous background vocals, the whole song is fun

What's not to like, can anybody tell?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 06:11:19 AM »

I never understood people's dislike towards "Maxwell". There is:

1) good melody, chorus catchy "as hell"
2) cool guitar flourishes
3) cool percussion/ synth which is cleverly added to add variety to each verse
4) humorous background vocals, the whole song is fun

It's not really like I don't like the song.  I just think it's one of the weaker songs on the album. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 06:23:14 AM »

Even despite the points given it's still one of the weaker songs? You mentioned it with "Her Majesty" but it's strange since HM is really inconsequential when "Maxwell" is fully realized Beatles song with everybody present in the mix. There's songs the same caliber or in similar vein as HM that are weaker than "Maxwell". F.ex. is "Polythene Pam" stronger track than "Maxwell"? & any of the short segment songs? This logic is beyond me.

KDS
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 06:31:08 AM »

Even despite the points given it's still one of the weaker songs? You mentioned it with "Her Majesty" but it's strange since HM is really inconsequential when "Maxwell" is fully realized Beatles song with everybody present in the mix. There's songs the same caliber or in similar vein as HM that are weaker than "Maxwell". F.ex. is "Polythene Pam" stronger track than "Maxwell"? & any of the short segment songs? This logic is beyond me.

To be honest, as I alluded to before, I usually think of Polytheme Pam as part of the suite that includes Mean Mr. Mustard and She Came In Through the Bathroom Window. 

But, even as a song snippet, I prefer the energy and vocals to Pam over the When I 64-ish verses on Maxwell.   For Maxwell, I think the moog and guitar bits really make that song. 

There are really relatively few Beatles songs that I can honestly say I don't like.  So, don't confuse my not liking Maxwell as much as every AR track bar Her Majesty as not liking the song itself. 

And, there really doesn't have to be logic in musical taste.  I mean, you seem to go against the grain when it comes to the opinions of a lot of BB songs, so it's just a matter of personal taste. 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 08:15:25 AM »

I never understood people's dislike towards "Maxwell".

As KDS  posted, different tastes in music.
For example you hate Don’t Talk, while I think it’s the best song on PS. No problem.
Right now I don’t like the lyrics to MSH. If there hadn’t been so many mass killings in the US lately it might not bother me so much.
It’s the only song on AR that I don’t care for. I think HM is a fun, cheeky little snippet. Since there isn’t much to it I would vote it off early, but after MSH.

It would be incredibly boring if everyone agreed about everything.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 08:16:02 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 10:42:49 AM »

Changed Maxwell to I Want You (which is a freaking awesome song).

"Even despite the points given it's still one of the weaker songs? You mentioned it with "Her Majesty" but it's strange since HM is really inconsequential when "I Want You" is fully realized Beatles song with everybody present in the mix. There's songs the same caliber or in similar vein as HM that are weaker than "I Want You". F.ex. is "Polythene Pam" stronger track than "I Want You"? & any of the short segment songs? This logic is beyond me."

I will be voting Maxwell off next. Why?

Because if you want to blame someone or something for breaking up Beatles look no further than Maxwells Super Duper Swinging Hammer.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 10:44:13 AM by pixletwin » Logged
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2017, 05:10:59 AM »

But, even as a song snippet, I prefer the energy and vocals to Pam over the When I 64-ish verses on Maxwell.
I too like energy but I like nice fun songs too. I see songs as the whole - "Maxwell" differs than "When I'm 64".

And, there really doesn't have to be logic in musical taste.
Yes, it's cliched phrase. But, there's times when people read sth. & express amazement, shock at smb. disliking song they really like. I think asking why exactly you or smb. else don't like it isn't bad thing & it creates discussion. I'm very curious by nature & usually want to get to bottom of things, figure out others' differing opinions.

It would be incredibly boring if everyone agreed about everything.
Yes, again cliched phrase. See reply to KDS.

Right now I don’t like the lyrics to MSH. If there hadn’t been so many mass killings in the US lately it might not bother me so much.
OK, fair.

Changed Maxwell to I Want You.
Do you tell me to explain the "She's So Heavy" pick when before it I said "Her Majesty" is trifle? I dislike the former since 2010. It's 7 years' dislike. HM is trifle but I really can't stand IWY(SSH).

KDS
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2017, 05:32:13 AM »

RR,

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to disagree with others' tastes.  That can be one of the fun things about these boards and survivor games. 

It could be a language barrier issue, but you, at times, seem to take others' opinions / tastes a little harder.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2017, 06:28:18 AM »

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to disagree with others' tastes.
I didn't really say it's not bad thing to disagree - naturally it isn't. I said it's not bad thing to ask why poster A dislikes song B, that they don't just say they don't like it but bring details & give full explanation. As I said, I'm curious. & again, people everywhere in the Internet - Smiley, PS, Youtube etc. - show shock, amazement, surprise at smb. saying they don't like their favorite song. "Wow, I never thought I'd see someone not liking [song title]" - posts like this everywhere. Then people ask why they don't like that song. So, it isn't just me who asks for explanation.

but you, at times, seem to take others' opinions / tastes a little harder.
You're wrong. If you don't read attentively it's your fault, not mine.
Read the above but it's really repetition.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 07:05:05 AM by RangeRoverA1 » Logged

KDS
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2017, 07:07:54 AM »

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to disagree with others' tastes.
I didn't really say it's not bad thing to disagree - naturally it isn't. I said it's not bad thing to ask why poster A dislikes song B, that they don't just say they don't like it but bring details & give full explanation. As I said, I'm curious. & again, people everywhere in the Internet - Smiley, PS, Youtube etc. - show shock, amazement, surprise at smb. saying they don't like their favorite song. "Wow, I never thought I'd see someone not liking [song title]" - posts like this everywhere. Then people ask why they don't like that song. So, it isn't just me who asks for explanation.

but you, at times, seem to take others' opinions / tastes a little harder.
You're wrong. If you don't read attentively it's your fault, not mine.
Read the above but it's really repetition.

That's what I'm talking about.  Like I said, it could be a language barrier issue.  But, I make a point, and your response is that I "don't read attentively." 
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx