gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 05:14:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Which do you think is the better song?
My Way
Suspicious Minds

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BotS #8: My Way (Frank Sinatra) vs. Suspicious Minds (Elvis Presley)  (Read 1809 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2018, 12:25:57 AM »

Hello, here's a battle between two hits released at the end of 1960's by two significant pre-60's singers:

My Way by Frank Sinatra
https://open.spotify.com/track/76Zi40dd2HoTn3sehttJhY

vs. Suspicious Minds by Elvis Presley
https://open.spotify.com/track/1H5IfYyIIAlgDX8zguUzns

I love both songs, but this time I give Sinatra an edge, for that very retrospectively-sounding horns at the end of the song, which I love.

Now, which do you think is the better song? Look forward to seeing your opinions.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 03:05:47 AM »

I don't think you can compare these songs. One - My Way - is a french chanson for which Paul Anka wrote english lyrics (see below). The other - Suspicious minds - is an original rock/pop-song, written by Mark James. Totally different genres, if you will. Now if the question is, which one you like better, that's different. Now, I love chansons and also that kind of sentimental stuff as in ""My way". But seeing Elvis (who also recorded "My way") doing "Suspicious minds" live on stage in 1970's "That's the way it is" is just as great.

Claude François - Comme d'habitude

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSKrMNaJo1s

« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 03:09:16 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 03:14:57 AM »

"My Way" is nice song besides Sinatra sings better than Presley. But don't listen as big fan to either. That said, respective favorites - "Forget Domani" & "Blue Suede Shoes" (best rendition).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 03:18:41 AM »

I don't think you can compare these songs. One - My Way - is a french chanson for which Paul Anka wrote english lyrics (see below). The other - Suspicious minds - is an original rock/pop-song, written by Mark James. Totally different genres, if you will. Now if the question is, which one you like better, that's different.

Exactly. This is how I always vote. 

I had to accompany "My Way" far too often at gigs in the 1990s to ever want to hear it again, let alone vote for it!

Although not a fan of later Presley (sorry, Rocker!) "Suspicious Minds" has a quality of desperation about it that appeals to me. And that slow passage towards the end is a masterstroke. Not to mention the stunning backing vocal line during the verse. So it gets my vote. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx