gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:52:59 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sail On: The Beach Boys Podcast  (Read 17552 times)
WyattFunderburk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2017, 01:14:10 PM »

I've enjoyed the episodes thus far and look forward to more.  It's great to finally have a Beach Boys podcast out there!   Thumbs Up

Not to nitpick, but there are several fan podcasts and podcast-ish productions out there, but most of them are really subpar or not widely accessible.  There's a gawd-awful video podcast that some lady shoots in her living room. Pray for Surf(?) is pretty good, but I couldn't find it on iTunes the last time I checked. Ghosty's show is great, but YouTube isn't exactly the best delivery method for that type of content.  Not sure about this podbean thing for Sail On (I think it's a crappy app), but I can get it on Apple's Podcast app, so I'm good.  Sail On is the first good BB fan podcast that's also accessible. And I love it.

Yeah we know there are some other programs out there and we enjoy them for what they are but we wanted to do something new.  Glad you're enjoying it!

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2017, 09:51:04 AM »

I have really enjoyed the Gary Usher and Roger Christian episodes! I have learned new things about the roots of surf and car music and how important these guys were to that genre! I also enjoy the conspiracy theories. Smiley I am one entertained by the Paul is Dead clues. I didn’t know there were interesting theories about The Beach Boys! I’m excited to hear more! Certainly there are some about Charles Manson or Eugene Landy!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
WyattFunderburk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2017, 09:45:40 PM »

I have really enjoyed the Gary Usher and Roger Christian episodes! I have learned new things about the roots of surf and car music and how important these guys were to that genre! I also enjoy the conspiracy theories. Smiley I am one entertained by the Paul is Dead clues. I didn’t know there were interesting theories about The Beach Boys! I’m excited to hear more! Certainly there are some about Charles Manson or Eugene Landy!

Haha, thanks!  I don't think there are any Beach Boys Conspiracies at the level of Paul Is Dead but we're gonna make sure we ask all the right questions!!!

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 02:12:35 PM »

Haha, thanks!  I don't think there are any Beach Boys Conspiracies at the level of Paul Is Dead but we're gonna make sure we ask all the right questions!!!

I will make one up then!  Cool Guy

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
WyattFunderburk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 02:51:30 PM »

Christmas special up now!  Happy Holidays to everyone!

http://sailon.podbean.com/e/bonus-episode-1-the-christmas-special/

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2017, 03:09:34 PM »

Christmas special up now!  Happy Holidays to everyone!

http://sailon.podbean.com/e/bonus-episode-1-the-christmas-special/

I really enjoyed Jason's Christmas message. Clever! Keep it up.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2018, 01:26:08 PM »

Hey, just started listening to this (late in the game), but I’m really impressed with the quality of everything - between the talk/jokes, to the production (also, Will C’s music is great in this).

I’m kinda honored that Niko and I’s ‘Rhapsody in Blue’ edit is the intro for this - at least that’s based on my lousy memory, but I recall the radio dial edit and slowing down my Rhapsody copy way down to match Brian’s reimagined version.

Anyways, all that aside, really great stuff here and I can’t wait to keep listening to more episodes! Such discussion reminds me of my early days in the fandom, it’s great to listen to people so excited about this music, makes me want to go listen to some records.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
WyattFunderburk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 09:20:35 AM »

Hey, just started listening to this (late in the game), but I’m really impressed with the quality of everything - between the talk/jokes, to the production (also, Will C’s music is great in this).

I’m kinda honored that Niko and I’s ‘Rhapsody in Blue’ edit is the intro for this - at least that’s based on my lousy memory, but I recall the radio dial edit and slowing down my Rhapsody copy way down to match Brian’s reimagined version.

Anyways, all that aside, really great stuff here and I can’t wait to keep listening to more episodes! Such discussion reminds me of my early days in the fandom, it’s great to listen to people so excited about this music, makes me want to go listen to some records.

Thanks very much! 

New episode all about David Marks is up now! 

http://sailon.podbean.com/e/9-david-marks/

Mark H.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2018, 09:37:12 AM »

Enjoyed the episode on David Marks - keep it up.  It's really a great show.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2018, 07:00:06 PM »

I’m still catching up but I can’t wait to hear this latest one.

If anyone listens to podcasts here I really recommend tuning into this. And if you don’t listen to podcasts perhaps give this a go anyways, lots of great information and love for the music.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2018, 06:22:41 AM »

Have found myself checking the ol' podcast for the latest ep since Sunday night. Refresh... refresh... refresh...
WyattFunderburk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2018, 11:55:21 PM »

Have found myself checking the ol' podcast for the latest ep since Sunday night. Refresh... refresh... refresh...

We had to skip a week because we were on tour but we recorded a new one tonight and I'll have it up on Monday!  Sorry for the delay and thanks for listening.

WWDWD?
Smiley Smile Associate

What would Dennis Wilson do?

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2018, 06:02:31 AM »

We had to skip a week because we were on tour but we recorded a new one tonight and I'll have it up on Monday!  Sorry for the delay and thanks for listening.

I thought that was the case. Just letting you know you're in demand Smiley
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2018, 08:41:59 AM »

Skipping a week is unacceptable because your life revolves around my personal entertainment! Touring is not an excuse unless you are coming to Dallas! 😈

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2018, 08:45:39 AM »

Ooooh! Tyler, Texas in July!!

WyattFunderburk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2018, 10:39:57 AM »

Yessir, let's hang!

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2018, 09:30:04 AM »

Yessir, let's hang!

Would be cool!

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2018, 10:49:08 AM »

I am kind of technology idiot so this is probably  dumb question. What number  I call to leave a voicemail?

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2018, 01:22:28 PM »

If you click "Play Now" on any of the episodes at https://sailon.podbean.com/ all the contact information shows up.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2018, 08:44:10 AM »

If you click "Play Now" on any of the episodes at https://sailon.podbean.com/ all the contact information shows up.

Thanks!

WyattFunderburk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2018, 01:54:59 PM »

Bumping this to say we have several new episodes out since I last checked on this thread.

13 - The Wrecking Crew - https://sailon.podbean.com/e/13-the-wrecking-crew/
14 - All Summer Long - https://sailon.podbean.com/e/14-all-summer-long/
15 - The Honeys / Spring - https://sailon.podbean.com/e/15-the-honeys-spring/

Hope y'all enjoy them!  Good vibes!  Sail On, Sailors!

Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2018, 11:29:15 PM »

Bumping this to say we have several new episodes out since I last checked on this thread.

13 - The Wrecking Crew - https://sailon.podbean.com/e/13-the-wrecking-crew/
14 - All Summer Long - https://sailon.podbean.com/e/14-all-summer-long/
15 - The Honeys / Spring - https://sailon.podbean.com/e/15-the-honeys-spring/

Hope y'all enjoy them!  Good vibes!  Sail On, Sailors!

Hey Wyatt -- and Jason,

Just checking in to say I absolutely love your podcasts -- and I've been a fan since late 1961 when I first heard Surfin' on the radio, although I must admit it took Surfin USA for me to acknowledge that the BBs were headed toward becoming great group. And I didn't go really wild until the two sided hit single I Get Around / Don't Worry Baby, which was the cement that really began to pull together my fandom, although it took Please Let Me Wonder and The Beach Boys Today to completely pull it together.

For anyone who was around then, with I Get Around and Don't Worry Baby, how many 45 rpm singles offered such a great combination of two songs, one featuring the bravado of Mike and the other featuring the tenderness of Brian. Those often disparate personas combined to form one of the primary reasons the BBs are such a great group -- whose music will be studied, debated, and enjoyed for ages to come.

Sail on, guys!

And I hope you'll make it to Southern California soon.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2018, 11:35:00 PM by Custom Machine » Logged
WyattFunderburk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2018, 06:28:34 PM »

Thanks for all the responses, guys.  We just had our one year mark and also just passed 30 thousand downloads.  Crazy. 

We also just got added to Spotify.  https://open.spotify.com/show/0FuLZbVheuRRSdZCXXvpq8?si=YHaL-FZPTqi7ZvRGW0wMfQ&fbclid=IwAR3WSJY51i1oVpqpL1Y79SiYWe0WvnMX-XD13Ue-Na56sY4CQ9uuHMsCRNs

Sail On, Sailors.

WyattFunderburk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2018, 12:46:33 PM »

Hello friends,

Here's our latest words and music tribute.  This time we honor the great Bruce Johnston.  Hope you guys dig it!

https://sailon.podbean.com/e/23-bruce-johnston-endless-harmony/

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx