gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:26:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson at Caribou Ranch  (Read 5693 times)
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2017, 02:30:12 PM »

Watched a special last night, Chicago - The Terry Kath Experience - It told the story of the fantastic guitar player who formed the band "Chicago" thru the eyes of his daughter. So Kath's daughter and widow take a trip to Caribou Ranch in 2014 as it is being sold. They tour the ranch and finally go into the studio part and a "Pacific Ocean Blue" album is on display. Kath's widow picks it up and said "He was a crazy guy, a good guy" the staff agrees. Also includes a clip of the Beach Boys and Chicago singing "Wishing You were Here" Terry is the lead vocalist. For the life of me I don't understand why Kath is playing bass on this song and Peter Cetera is playing guitar!

Cook pork throughly
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 03:26:01 PM »

where was this broadcast?  Is it on youtube?

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 03:28:44 PM »

AXS TV

Cook pork throughly
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 03:29:47 PM »

Well he was a crazy guy....
PS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 03:37:15 PM »

I also watched the show and I live only a few miles from Caribou in Boulder, so I was fascinated by the Caribou footage and the Guercio/Wilson(s) connection. The doc was a very touching tribute by Ms. Kath in search of her father - and the ending was better than fiction. I note that there's a new book coming out by Ken Sharp about the making of POB, so hopefully there will be detailed info on the sessions there.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 04:22:44 PM »

For the life of me I don't understand why Kath is playing bass on this song and Peter Cetera is playing guitar!

Because that's what they played on the record (according to the album credits) . Smiley
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 04:27:37 PM »

Cetera is a great bass player, and Kath has no equal on guitar. Why would they switch?

Cook pork throughly
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 07:10:32 PM »

This program will be repeated on AXS network this Sunday, 11:00 am Central Time.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 09:14:16 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 08:05:37 PM »

Cetera is a great bass player, and Kath has no equal on guitar. Why would they switch?

Likely because Cetera wrote the song on acoustic guitar, and therefore played acoustic guitar on the record. As a result, Kath switched to bass on that tune. Happens sometimes in bands. Smiley
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 08:09:11 PM »

I also watched the show and I live only a few miles from Caribou in Boulder, so I was fascinated by the Caribou footage and the Guercio/Wilson(s) connection. The doc was a very touching tribute by Ms. Kath in search of her father - and the ending was better than fiction. I note that there's a new book coming out by Ken Sharp about the making of POB, so hopefully there will be detailed info on the sessions there.

None of the POB album was recorded at the Ranch...the album jacket was likely on display there because the Caribou label released the record. However, some work on "Wild Situation" for DW's next album Bambu was indeed done at the Ranch.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 11:06:06 PM »

None of the POB album was recorded at the Ranch...the album jacket was likely on display there because the Caribou label released the record. However, some work on "Wild Situation" for DW's next album Bambu was indeed done at the Ranch.
But I do believe Carl's first solo album was recorded at the Ranch.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2017, 12:34:33 AM »

I note that there's a new book coming out by Ken Sharp about the making of POB, so hopefully there will be detailed info on the sessions there.

Had not heard about this before. Found some info here - http://ken-sharp.com/dennis-wilson/index.html

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2017, 04:38:34 AM »

But I do believe Carl's first solo album was recorded at the Ranch.

Yes, indeed. Also a few other things, like the basic track for "Good Timin'" and some L.A. Light Album overdubs.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2017, 05:49:49 AM »

The film trailer is on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRVtwARW7zc

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 09:45:29 AM »

"Wishing You Were Here" doesn't have any flaming guitar solos or anything, so it doesn't seem odd that Cetera and Kath would switch it up for that song. Indeed, I don't think there's really any electric guitar on the song at all.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2017, 07:45:32 AM »

...Indeed, I don't think there's really any electric guitar on the song at all.

There's that little bit in the bridge...which could easily be played by Cetera or Guercio (who's also credited with guitar in the album's liner notes, IIRC).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:46:13 AM by c-man » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2017, 09:21:44 AM »

...Indeed, I don't think there's really any electric guitar on the song at all.

There's that little bit in the bridge...which could easily be played by Cetera or Guercio (who's also credited with guitar in the album's liner notes, IIRC).

Ah, yes, very true.

Interesting on the BB angle that there are some quad/extractions of "Wishing You Were Here" where you can even more clearly hear those great BB (well, Carl, Dennis, and Al) backing vocals.

Sadly, when the "Beachago" tour came around in 1989, *both* lead vocalists on the original song were gone, and the lead was traded off during joint BB/Chicago performances by Robert Lamm, Mike Love, and Carl Wilson. (Robert and Mike sang the Kath parts, Carl sang the Cetera part).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2017, 02:20:20 PM »

Jim Guercio recently sent me these notes regarding his recollection of the Wishing You Were Here session.

"This was one of a number of tracks I produced contemplating a Peter Cetera solo album.

Carl, Al, Dennis and Peter were improvising harmonies (perhaps Terry as well who played my Fender Precision Bass on this track) when I realized how unique and powerful the vocal blend was. The Bass voice "Wishin" was Dennis Wilson who really contributed to vocals along with Carl's improvisation on the final refrains. Robert's piano established the great foundation and feel. James Pankow's tasteful and restrained Horn arrangement really shines as does Danny's solid, yet restrained drums. His individual drum arrangements were the foundation of the entire production. A very sensitive creative drummer.

Being Peter's song he was responsible for all of the vocal performances and arrangements. A tremendous collaborator and vocal director. Suggesting Terry sing the Lead Verses was his idea. Great Singer.

Always wanted to remix and specifically do not like the remaster ( was not consulted. ).

With my notes and tweaks in the mastering, usually with Wayne Tarnowsky and Doug Sax, the group was not there, we made many substantive corrections and embellishments which you can only appreciate on the original Vinyl pressing."
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2017, 03:05:51 PM »

Glad to see Peter Cetera has once again added "Wishing you Were Here" back in his 2017 setlist!

Cook pork throughly
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2017, 03:13:17 PM »

Glad to see Peter Cetera has once again added "Wishing you Were Here" back in his 2017 setlist!

I think he's been doing it for at least two or three years based on what I've seen on YouTube. The guy in his band singing the Kath parts didn't sound that great, but Cetera still sings pretty well
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 03:13:56 PM by HeyJude » Logged

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx