gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:20:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Lyrics written 100% by Brian  (Read 5542 times)
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2017, 04:27:02 PM »

Iv made a list of songs Brian has written 100% of the lyrics to. I'm sure some of these are not correct, for instance some of the earlier songs even though credited all to Brian probably have an uncredited written credit here and there. I havent included wind chimes because Van Dyke has credit to it now though always thought it was written by Brian.

Surfer girl
Lana
Baker man
Land ahoy
surfer moon
Thank him
I do
The big beat
Funny boy
Marie
Mother may I
If it can't be you
You brought it all on yourself
All dressed up for school
Merry Christmas baby
Christmas time
Girl don't tell me
I'm bugged at my old man
The little girl I once knew ? (Mike says he has written credit but didn't put it in during the trial)
Little pad
With me tonight
Whistle in
Your welcome
Can't wait too long
Busy doin nothing
Time to get alone
Where is she
Games two can play
This whole world
Help is on the way
My solution ?
Till I die
Mount Vernon and Fairway
Tm song
All of love you except for Let us go on this way, good time and ding dang
Marilyn rovell
I'm begging you please
Lazy Lizzy
That special feeling
They're marching alone
Still I dream of it
Hey little tomboy
Life is for the living
It's over now
Everybody wants to live
Lines
It's trying to say
Winter symphony
My Diane
Don't let her know she's an angel
Love and mercy (Ray has said Brian wrote all of it, Landy had no part in it)
Melt away, let your hair grow long (writing credit for 88' has been changed but Landy did write these lyrics didn't he)?
Little children
Rainbow eyes
Cry
Happy days
Make a wish
On Christmas Day
Believe In yourself
Good kind of love
Walking down the path of life
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 04:30:54 PM by MrRobinsonsFather » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2017, 10:00:15 PM »

Isn't Bob Norberg co-credited on "Surfer Moon"? If not, he probably should be...
I recall Roger Christian's name being mentioned in association with "All Dressed Up For School" (I think that was in Brad Elliott's book)...
Mike's co-credited now on "Girl Don't Tell Me"...
I recall Mike claiming co-credit on one of the Smiley songs...I'm thinking it was "With Me Tonight", but I could be wrong...
I'm pretty sure Mike co-wrote "H.E.L.P. Is On The Way", whether or not he's co-credited on the official 1993 release...
Mike's co-credited now on "TM Song" (on at least one of the CD releases)...
Diane Rovell reportedly wrote the lyrics to "Winter Symphony"...
"Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel" and "Rainbow Eyes" would've been co-credited to Landy and Alexandra Morgan, had Sweet Insanity seen the light of day...

MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2017, 10:58:13 PM »

Isn't Bob Norberg co-credited on "Surfer Moon"? If not, he probably should be...
I recall Roger Christian's name being mentioned in association with "All Dressed Up For School" (I think that was in Brad Elliott's book)...
Mike's co-credited now on "Girl Don't Tell Me"...
I recall Mike claiming co-credit on one of the Smiley songs...I'm thinking it was "With Me Tonight", but I could be wrong...
I'm pretty sure Mike co-wrote "H.E.L.P. Is On The Way", whether or not he's co-credited on the official 1993 release...
Mike's co-credited now on "TM Song" (on at least one of the CD releases)...
Diane Rovell reportedly wrote the lyrics to "Winter Symphony"...
"Don't Let Her Know She's An Angel" and "Rainbow Eyes" would've been co-credited to Landy and Alexandra Morgan, had Sweet Insanity seen the light of day...

Thanks for the info
I cant find any writing credits for surfer moon with his name, has he said that he had a hand in it?
Didn't realise Mike is now credited on Girl Don't Tell Me and TM Song, the 2012 mono/stereo summer days cd still has only Brian credited

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 09:36:51 AM »

Did Landy actually co-write In My Car? I know Brian said that in the Endless Summer TV special (which I wish was on DVD), but supposedly (from what I've read here) Brian isn't always accurate in interviews.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 10:20:57 AM »

Did Landy actually co-write In My Car? I know Brian said that in the Endless Summer TV special (which I wish was on DVD), but supposedly (from what I've read here) Brian isn't always accurate in interviews.

I don't doubt it - but it's hard to determine which songs Landy actually had a hand in. Even though we know he bullied his way into co-writing some of Brian's songs from that era, it also seems his name may have ended up on at least a couple where it really didn't belong.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 01:24:50 AM »

That's an impressive list. I like most of these. Totally wish That Special Feeling would've been finished and released complete with full Love You production. Sweet song.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2017, 11:01:24 PM »

That's an impressive list. I like most of these. Totally wish That Special Feeling would've been finished and released complete with full Love You production. Sweet song.
Hell I love it as is!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 02:41:19 AM »

I had a look round...
- Norberg is not co-credited as late as 2004 (AGD's book).
- Yes, this is Elliott on pp. 267-268 of Surf's Up!: "An unreleased Brian and Roger Christian composition, What'll I Wear To School Today? was also recorded by Sharon Marie, according to Christian. The song was later reworked as the intended B-side of The Castells' Brian-produced I Do, he said, and finally cut by the Beach Boys themselves as All Dressed Up (For School)."
- "H.E.L.P." is credited to Brian alone on the 1993 GV box set.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2017, 07:25:26 AM »

I don't doubt it - but it's hard to determine which songs Landy actually had a hand in. Even though we know he bullied his way into co-writing some of Brian's songs from that era, it also seems his name may have ended up on at least a couple where it really didn't belong.

Carl certainly seemed to feel the "In My Car" lyrics were Landy. From that 1989 translated Carl interview:

LK: So why don't you include songs like "Cool, Cool Water" and "Caroline, No", for example, instead of doing cover versions like "Little Old Lady From Pasadena" and "Little GTO"?

Carl: We have done "Cool, Cool Water" from time to time, and we did "Caroline, No" last year. I would like to do that more, but I'm in a minority in the group. Of course, there are times when each one of us is more active. Sometimes it's Al, and he does more of his stuff, now it's Michael. I hope Brian gets more involved. I spent some time with him in the studio when he recorded "In My Car" and it was great. I like the music, but Brian should collaborate with his peers, not Gene (Landy) and wife. These lyrics: "I'm master of my fate when I accelerate," ... what? (Carl laughs and shakes his head). Gene couldn't hit the right note even if his life depended on it! I said to Brian, "Feel free to call me." But Landy doesn't like me because I say the truth.

LK: Do you like Brian's album?

Carl: Oh yes. It's too easy to say, "it's not Pet Sounds," but that's not the point. I especially like "Let It Shine". I have heard tapes from Brian's next LP. It's fantastic!

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2017, 07:50:45 AM »

I don't see 'I Went to Sleep' on the list.  Didn't Brian write that one on his own?  GREAT song by the way.  As are many of those already mentioned. Cool Guy
----------------
Time to Get Alone
'Til I Die
This Whole World
Surfer Girl
Lana
The Little Girl I Once Knew  [Mike wrote the silent parts.  No royalties for those.]
Whistle In
You're Welcome
Busy Doin' Nothing
Love and Mercy
Melt Away

...along with 'I Went to Sleep' are all-time great songs.  

They're Marching Alone?  Isn't that along?  And the sub part of the 'Little Children' title?...which I also like quite a bit as well.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:28:48 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 08:12:24 AM »

Carl: ... I have heard tapes from Brian's next LP. It's fantastic!

Woah, thanks for reminding me of this remark! Cool. And a little surprising.

In regard to Landy co-writes, another factor to consider is...just because a line sounds like Landy doesn't mean Brian didn't write it. I'm not disputing whether or not Landy-penned lyrics made it on record, but just emphasizing how hard it is to determine which lines were actually written by Landy. I think in some cases, Brian may have just picked up on the lingo (I believe there are interviews with Brian to back this up). I mean, a fan might not care to differentiate between Landy-penned lyrics and Landy-inspired lyrics, but I still wonder about it.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 09:27:23 AM »

Doesn't the L&M movie have "in my car" in the scene where landy is yelling at BW on piano....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2017, 12:15:04 PM »

Carl certainly seemed to feel the "In My Car" lyrics were Landy. From that 1989 translated Carl interview:

LK: So why don't you include songs like "Cool, Cool Water" and "Caroline, No", for example, instead of doing cover versions like "Little Old Lady From Pasadena" and "Little GTO"?

Carl: We have done "Cool, Cool Water" from time to time, and we did "Caroline, No" last year. I would like to do that more, but I'm in a minority in the group. Of course, there are times when each one of us is more active. Sometimes it's Al, and he does more of his stuff, now it's Michael. I hope Brian gets more involved. I spent some time with him in the studio when he recorded "In My Car" and it was great. I like the music, but Brian should collaborate with his peers, not Gene (Landy) and wife. These lyrics: "I'm master of my fate when I accelerate," ... what? (Carl laughs and shakes his head). Gene couldn't hit the right note even if his life depended on it! I said to Brian, "Feel free to call me." But Landy doesn't like me because I say the truth.

Carl: Oh yes. It's too easy to say, "it's not Pet Sounds," but that's not the point. I especially like "Let It Shine". I have heard tapes from Brian's next LP. It's fantastic!

Is the full interview transcript available somewhere? This is great, honest stuff from Carl!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 12:47:47 PM »

Doesn't the L&M movie have "in my car" in the scene where landy is yelling at BW on piano....

That is "Let's Go To Heaven In My Car"
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 12:48:53 PM »

I don't see 'I Went to Sleep' on the list.  Didn't Brian write that one on his own?  GREAT song by the way.  As are many of those already mentioned. Cool Guy
----------------
Time to Get Alone
'Til I Die
This Whole World
Surfer Girl
Lana
The Little Girl I Once Knew  [Mike wrote the silent parts.  No royalties for those.]
Whistle In
You're Welcome
Busy Doin' Nothing
Love and Mercy
Melt Away

They're Marching Alone?  Isn't that along?  And the sub part of the 'Little Children' title?...which I also like quite a bit as well.

I believe "I Went To Sleep" is a co-write with Carl.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 01:06:23 PM »

----------------
Time to Get Alone
'Til I Die
This Whole World
Surfer Girl
Lana
Whistle In
You're Welcome
Busy Doin' Nothing
Love and Mercy
Melt Away

I believe "I Went To Sleep" is a co-write with Carl.

Indeed, it is.
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 04:42:42 PM »

Is the full interview transcript available somewhere? This is great, honest stuff from Carl!

I think the full interview is in either Back to the beach or essential interviews books
MrRobinsonsFather
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 04:44:36 PM »

Didn't realise that about I went to sleep. Great melody
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 04:46:06 PM by MrRobinsonsFather » Logged
Bill30022
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 07:04:37 PM »

What about:
Roller Skating Child
Mona
Johnny Carson
Honkin’ Down the Highway
Solar System
The Night Was So Young
I’ll Bet He’s Nice
Let’s Put Our Hearts Together
I Wanna Pick You Up
Airplane
Love Is A Woman
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 08:01:57 AM »

I don't think it has been published anywhere other than this board. Someone translated it and posted the entire thing here:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15607.msg369021.html#msg369021

It is indeed a pretty revealing (for Carl, anyway) interview. The interviewer even attempts to ask Carl about the 1978 Australia incident!

A few prescient moments from Carl, including arguably correctly predicting that Mike would still be doing BB shows after most everyone else was gone. The reasons for member departures (death, de facto firing) may not have been what Carl had in mind when he said it, but he nonetheless correctly saw that Mike more than anyone viewed the live touring as his bailiwick.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:05:08 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2017, 02:21:43 PM »

Did Brian write the ding, the dang, both or neither?  One of his deeper songs for sure....
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2017, 09:42:07 AM »

Did Brian write the ding, the dang, both or neither?  One of his deeper songs for sure....
[/quote

What? 

Nobby.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx