gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:27:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: VDP on Twitter  (Read 38082 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2017, 10:02:25 PM »

I wonder if VDP's attitude towards Brian these days goes back to OCA? I recall an interview where VDP talked about touring with BW in support of the album. Is Van Dyke bitter because that didn't happen?
Denny Laine made the mistake of talking to a writer back in the 80's sort of "off the record", and then those stories ended up in the tabloids. Denny never has an unkind word for McCartney these days, but it seems it is too little, too late. Macca seems to be in touch with other ex-Wings like Denny Seiwell, but Laine is like...well, it's like he never existed.

The same with Pete Best... it's unfortunate because I would have loved to have seen Pete Best on the Beatles anthology series speaking with Paul, George and Ringo about the early years..oh well...
As good as the Anthology was, there were a lot of missed opportunities. They could have had interviews with Pete Best, Andy White, Stu Sutcliffe's family, other members of The Quarrymen, etc.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 11, 2017, 08:45:50 AM »

The explicit decision with Anthology was to tell the Beatles story from the 4 Beatles point of view, no talking heads, with the only two exceptions George Martin and Neil as they were with them all the way through their recording career and both had a claim to being the "5th" Beatle.  If Mal had been alive I wonder if he would have been included as well.
KDS
« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2017, 02:37:09 PM »

I wonder if VDP's attitude towards Brian these days goes back to OCA? I recall an interview where VDP talked about touring with BW in support of the album. Is Van Dyke bitter because that didn't happen?
Denny Laine made the mistake of talking to a writer back in the 80's sort of "off the record", and then those stories ended up in the tabloids. Denny never has an unkind word for McCartney these days, but it seems it is too little, too late. Macca seems to be in touch with other ex-Wings like Denny Seiwell, but Laine is like...well, it's like he never existed.

The same with Pete Best... it's unfortunate because I would have loved to have seen Pete Best on the Beatles anthology series speaking with Paul, George and Ringo about the early years..oh well...
As good as the Anthology was, there were a lot of missed opportunities. They could have had interviews with Pete Best, Andy White, Stu Sutcliffe's family, other members of The Quarrymen, etc.

Theres a decent doc called Best of the Beatles about Pete's point of view.  I think it was released in 2004.
terrei
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2017, 06:58:44 AM »

Yes, I'm familiar with that interview. Of course VDP got the Song Cycle contract because of Smile. But I was wondering if, in a Smile-less scenario, he would have been able to get a chance at an album, sooner or later. Lots of people inside the LA/San Francisco scene landed record contracts, perhaps VDP would have been signed by another label in 69, who knows? Anyway, I think VDP payed his dues with Brian through the years: his role in Reprise, then SOS, OCA...

VDP was already signed to MGM in 1965, where he recorded two or three singles. The thing about the Warners deal is that he got a $75,000 budget to record whatever he wanted, which wouldn't have happened without Smile.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 18, 2017, 07:56:50 AM »

Not my cup of tea, but Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story will be shown on the AXS network tonight at 8:00 pm (Central Time)
VDP had some involvement in this movie.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 18, 2017, 10:38:51 AM »

Not my cup of tea, but Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story will be shown on the AXS network tonight at 8:00 pm (Central Time)

Terrific movie. VDP wrote a Smile pastiche: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF3HPqfW5ZU
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: November 18, 2017, 03:26:25 PM »

Terrific movie. VDP wrote a Smile pastiche: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bF3HPqfW5ZU

Great movie, and THAT is something I have to give Parks credit for....great pastiche

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
joshferrell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 18, 2017, 06:31:46 PM »

I love that movie..very underrated...
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 18, 2017, 11:43:10 PM »

Agreed. If the idea of Anthology was "the story of the Beatles, told by the Beatles", then Pete should have been included. And leaving Denny out of Wingspan - the only person not named McCartney to be in the band for the entire 10 years - left a huge hole in the story.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 19, 2017, 09:59:42 AM »

I love that movie..very underrated...

I liked it but thought some of the jokes could have been better. But the Beatles scene, with the terrible accents, is worth seeing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6frgnqTo1eM
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2017, 05:15:37 PM »

Yesterday Van Dyke put this on his Twitter feed:

“On Aug. 9, '69, just after 3:00 p.m, I rapped on the door at 10050 Cielo Dr., to visit Terry Melcher at home. He'd moved. On that front lawn I'd 1st met Brian. Sharon met me, clued me in. Asked if I wanted to come join her & her guests. Decent! I declined.”

Y’know, if every person who claimed they were at 10050 Cielo the day of the murders were put in Dodger Stadium, you’d probably need to put the overflow in The Hollywood Bowl. I believe my Facebook friend the actress Joanna Pettet when she says she lunched with Sharon that day because a) she was well known as one of Sharon’s closest friends and b) the actress Barbara Leigh was there too. I have to put this one with VDP’s statement that Sinatra decided to record his brother Carson’s song Somethin’ Stupid after VDP sang it to him acapella while he was getting a massage - he never said anything about that until after Ol’ Blue Eyes was gone.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2017, 05:18:28 PM »

He's so full of sh*t that he pisses out 2000 Flushes™
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 05:19:09 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx