gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:45:09 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: VDP on Twitter  (Read 37868 times)
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 05:27:18 PM »

More to the story but he deleted it

As far as I could tell, it seems as though Van Dyke Parks is bitter at Brian Wilson, “genius” being the archetype used to describe Wilson, alluding to Jules Siegel’s usage of the term to describe Wilson in his infamous article about the circumstances surrounding the rise and downfall of the projected Smile album: “Goodbye Surfing, Hello God,” (1967), and perhaps stipulating that he and his wife were not paid deservedly for their roles and involvement in Brian Wilson’s live renditions of material from the Smile era. That will be as far as I will go with these assumptions, despite having not dissected the altering of the word: “volumes” to “volumns[sic].”
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 05:29:45 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 06:48:13 PM »

I love Van Dyke Parks ad think he is a genius too. He's a terrific musician and arranger, and he influenced me personally as a musician and writer. He's a uniquely American talent, and contributed a lot to the world of music, and he should be recognized as such.

But let's not forget - and Van Dyke himself has said versions of what is to follow mostly when he and Brian were actively working together or on good terms - where was he when Brian Wilson asked him if he'd write lyrics and collaborate with him in 1966? Van Dyke was living in very small quarters, if I'm not mistaken atop a garage, and his transportation was a motorbike. He was cutting some records and writing some that had not yet hit big, but were getting some industry buzz and attention, but he was not a name outside of his circle in LA that was also due to his friend David Anderle's influence in the music business. he was making a journeyman living as a working musician, as thousands of others were in LA at that time. He was doing sessions, but not on the level of guys like Hal Blaine who bought a vintage Rolls Royce and lived a great life due to his session money at that time to where he could demand double or triple scale, or even Glen Campbell who was so in demand he could schedule golf outings around the sessions he'd take, and would choose which sessions he'd play on...like Sinatra, Brian Wilson, etc.

So Van Dyke gets invited by David Crosby to go to Brian's to hear advance dubs of the single that would become Sloop John B. David Crosby, the hippest guy in LA who knew everone and every connection. Then through Terry Melcher at a party - Terry being extremely wealthy too, a producer with a strong track record of making hit records, and a guy who would sit in on Brian's sessions to watch the man work his magic often alongside his childhood buddy Bruce Johnston watching too - Brian and Van Dyke talked about collaborating because Brian thought Van Dyke was a word man, someone good with the English language who could turn a clever phrase in the way he was envisioning the next project he was going to undertake, which would become Smile.

So tell me what we're missing here when Van Dyke was going from gig to gig, living in a small rental apartment, riding around on a motorbike, then he gets asked by the man who was arguably the hottest producer of pop records in LA at that time, a man who other producers and musicians including the Beatles were listening to with keen ears and wanting to crack the code of how Brian made those records and those hits...to collaborate with him on the next project for The Beach Boys. The same band who would soon be holding the #1 single on the charts. And beyond that, Brian bought Van Dyke a brand new Volvo when they started working together.

And he ended up getting a solo record contract which it has been said by I believe Van Dyke himself was in part because of his working with Brian on a project that was the buzz of the industry.

So if there is a beef over something, between them now, that's their business. But don't forget how Van Dyke Parks was working in near obscurity in 1965 and by the end of 1966 was driving a new Volvo and collaborating with the man who had the ear of the music business at that time.

Not a bad deal for a guy in his early 20's, I'd say. For all the gratitude and humility I have seen come from Van Dyke's comments in the past, it's unfortunate to see where it is now and being aired out in dribs and drabs on a Twitter feed.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 07:08:04 PM »

It also seems that Parks is somewhat dismissive of Wilson’s mental health issues.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 07:53:12 PM »

f*** VDP. There. I said it. Nobody would give two shits about him or his pretentious ass if it weren't for SMiLE.

Skrillex is far from my favorite EDM artist, but I'd rather listen to him than a hipster asshole whose lyrical ideas were seemingly inspired by reading a thesaurus while under the influence of mescaline

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 08:17:02 PM »

f*** VDP. There. I said it. Nobody would give two shits about him or his pretentious ass if it weren't for SMiLE.

Skrillex is far from my favorite EDM artist, but I'd rather listen to him than a hipster asshole whose lyrical ideas were seemingly inspired by reading a thesaurus while under the influence of mescaline

Which brings me to something that belongs in Unpopular Opinions: Pet Sounds is better than SMiLE and Wilson/Asher had greater chemistry than Wilson/Parks.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2017, 08:23:53 PM »

I do prefer SMiLE but it was the case of a blind squirrel (VDP) miraculously finding a nut against all odds.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2017, 10:03:20 PM »

Respectfully disagree. I think VDPs ‘Discover America’ is one of the coolest albums ever made and that Moonlighting is one of the more vibrant and mesmerizing live albums I’ve ever heard.. Give me that over anything Skrillex has ever done. Yeah, VDPs seems to be off his rocker as of late. Pretentious, bitter, dickish, whatever the description may be there is certainly talent behind those emotions of his.

Edit, meant to say that I respectfully disagree with your last sentence. Totally agree he wouldn’t have gotten the catapult he got in ‘67 had it not been for his involvement with Smile...seriously, how else would you convince a record company to spend a record amount of money on your first ever album?

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:07:18 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2017, 10:19:19 PM »

For the record. And proceed accordingly. Van Dyke in his own words. Relevant quote in bold.

Source:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/23/arts/music/smile-and-other-difficulties.html

Quote:
Q. At the time you made “Song Cycle,” were you already working at Warner Brothers as a producer?

A. Well, Warner hired me because they thought I was a “solution,” in a bifurcated way — first of all, as a musician who had enormous studio experience. When I went into the music business, in 1963, my first union job was as an arranger on “The Bare Necessities,” for Disney. I soon became adjunctive to other people’s search for fame and fortune. Also, by 1967 I had been through eight months of Beach Boys experience — or Brian Wilson, really, with one short conversation with one or two of the other Beach Boys. I left that job in the shambles that became so famous. It became a pioneering event for interactive record design.

Q. Are you referring to the fact that fans, using bootlegged outtakes, have been assembling their own reconstructions of “Smile” for the last few decades?

A. Yes, bootleggery. My opportunity at Warner Brothers came specifically from the fact that I had worked with Brian Wilson, and carried what they might have thought was a Rosetta stone to Brian’s thinking. I don’t think it’s sinister to suspect that they wanted to learn what Brian Wilson knew, because he was the most powerful commercial success as a singer and songwriter in the industry then.

Q. What was the label’s reaction when you brought them “Song Cycle?”

A. When I played the album for Joe Smith, the president of the label, there was a stunned silence. Joe looked up and said, “Song Cycle”? I said, “Yes,” and he said, “So, where are the songs?” And I knew that was the beginning of the end. Warner held the album for a year. Then I met Jac Holzman [who ran Elektra Records], and after he listened to it, he went to Warner Brothers and said, “If you folks aren’t going to release this album, I will — how much do you want for it?” So they decided to put it out, grudgingly.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
KDS
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 05:16:25 AM »

Which brings me to something that belongs in Unpopular Opinions: Pet Sounds is better than SMiLE and Wilson/Asher had greater chemistry than Wilson/Parks.

I don't even know if that qualifies as an unpopular opinion, I think it's 110% true that PS is a better album.  The lyrics are better.  The album was actually finished.  And Pet Sounds doesn't have any lulls like the released Smile. 
Pacific Ocean Blue
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 06:22:17 AM »

I was more reserved than you  Grin but I 100% agree
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 06:42:48 AM »

It's clear from several relatively recent comments from VDP that the money thing is for whatever reason a sticking point and source of animosity from him.

No doubt, there are tons of less famous counterparts in bands and whatnot who are living modest if not destitute lifestyles while watching their counterparts live in luxury. It can't be easy, and every case is different. Some folks who feel disenfranchised didn't bring a lot creatively to the table and should probably be happy for whatever they got, while others did contribute a great deal but don't reap the rewards. Some reaped the rewards and blew it. It's different in every case.

So I can understand if, independently of anything to do with Brian, VDP has hit some rough financial patches. But if that's the case, for a guy who *is* so bright, he would then seem to be lashing out in a very obvious case of taking his life problems out on Brian.

VDP is probably dealing with something not totally unlike what the other BBs did over the years. They vacillated between being grateful for Brian creating the whole thing, then were spiteful at other times, then went back to fawning over Brian, then went back to "we don't need him", and so on.

Ironically, it seems like what VDP is alluding to as far as what he'd *like* concerning Brian capitalizing on "Smile" is a *bit* like what Mike tried to argue in his mid-2000s "Smile" lawsuits. It sounds like, while VDP isn't actually arguing any legalities, that he'd like for "Smile" to be a kind of jointly-owned piece of work that he and Brian both reap financial rewards from when it's aired or used in any form. It's a bit like when Mike tried to claim all of the stuff including "Smile" was done under an implied partnership, etc.

I would assume VDP still collects his songwriting royalties checks. There's not much else, right? I would imagine in being invited back for the 2004 album that he made some coin off of that.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 09:06:17 AM »

I think VDPs ‘Discover America’ is one of the coolest albums ever made

You're not alone in that assertion. Easily in my top 10.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2017, 09:21:06 AM »

Discussions like this have a way of repeating in cycles, and every year or so there are tweets or posts or whatever else similar to this current one. So check this one out, from last January, with a relevant post where I thought I was repeating myself (again, haha) and I was right after checking the archives...but if you have a cup of coffee or a pint of beer, read through some 16+ pages when things were *getting bad* in terms of some blatantly false or even propaganda-like information on some of these same issues, including attempts to discredit or dismiss those eyewitnesses who were actually there for all of these events with sometimes laughable rationale. No substitute for the truth and fact, even when books are being prepared for release and filibustering shifts over from political discourse to talking all about the music...

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,23176.0.html

Just to correct a few points:

When the chants and skits were recorded, Van Dyke Parks did not have the record deal that led to Song Cycle in '67. It had been Terry Melcher who more formally introduced the two at his house in July '66 after Brian mentioned to Terry that he was looking for someone to collaborate on lyrics for the type of music he had in mind, with Brian wanting to go in a more experimental direction after Pet Sounds. Melcher thought of the song "High Coin" which Parks had recently written, and brought the two together. Van Dyke and Brian had already met previously, the first time when David Crosby brought Van to hear Sloop John B before it was released and also through Loren and mutual friends, but this was the meeting when an actual collaboration was the purpose.

And days later is when Van Dyke went to see Brian on his motorbike and got stopped by the LAPD on the way, which led the officer to actually meeting Brian and getting an autograph from Brian for his sister who was a fan. After that, Brian authorized a check for Van Dyke which he used to buy a "real" car, his Volvo. There was also apparently another gift Brian gave Van Dyke, pet mice, symbolic of how Van Dyke was living at that time (according to the legends).

So it's not as if Van Dyke, riding around LA on a motorbike, getting pulled over by suspicious LAPD officers who thought he didn't belong in Brian's neighborhood, and living in a modest pad, was being courted by labels with big offers and advances beyond the singles and studio work he had already been doing.

If I could find the interview, I'd post it, but there was one where it was mentioned that the record biz in LA at the time of the "Smile Era" was trying to figure out or get inside hints of what Brian was doing with his new music, and as a result of that interest, Van Dyke - the man closest to that process at that time - became a much more valuable interest for them.

Also, as a roll of film shot at Western 3 proves, Van Dyke did not have a problem wearing one of the plastic firehats as he is shown in the film wearing one.

The two men were headstrong in their own way, and what we'd call artistic or creative types...both had a lot to offer, and as the eyewitnesses said, they were both capable of blowing each others' minds and did so regularly. But consider the setup: Who had the upper hand, and who was coming in to work for that person? Brian was one of the most respected (and successful) producers and writers in the music biz even by 1966. People in the biz waited to hear what he was going to come up with on the next single to hit the radio. Van Dyke Parks had not yet become a household name in the business apart from his work with Lenny Waronker and various singles and studio sessions.

There was the week before Terry Melcher introduced them when Van Dyke was driving a motorbike, and there was the week after when Brian gave him a $5,000 check to buy a new Volvo. And afterward, into the fall of 1966, Van Dyke Parks was the guy collaborating on Brian's new music which was being reported all through the music press and magazines as groundbreaking if not revolutionary, with a massive buzz and mystery surrounding it. Who had the cache, who was still the guy with the cache? Simple as that.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2017, 11:23:19 AM »

Respectfully disagree. I think VDPs ‘Discover America’ is one of the coolest albums ever made and that Moonlighting is one of the more vibrant and mesmerizing live albums I’ve ever heard.. Give me that over anything Skrillex has ever done. Yeah, VDPs seems to be off his rocker as of late. Pretentious, bitter, dickish, whatever the description may be there is certainly talent behind those emotions of his.

Edit, meant to say that I respectfully disagree with your last sentence. Totally agree he wouldn’t have gotten the catapult he got in ‘67 had it not been for his involvement with Smile...seriously, how else would you convince a record company to spend a record amount of money on your first ever album?

Oddly enough,  I hadn't tried to slog through discover America,  but everything else especially Song Cycle did jack all for me, and this was BEFORE I realized what an asshole he is. ..certainly not going to go back and listen now!

As far as Skrillex goes...I hesitant to criticize anybody who works in the same genre I do  (that's tacky)and my post was not intended as such, but...uh...yeah not my favorite based on personal preference /different approach to music, but more because he's used as a catch all artist for anybody who works in the same field, and I know that annoys him as much as it does me. There's as much difference between him and Tritonal  (great guys, by the way)as there are between the Beatles and Five  Finger Death Punch but are all lumped in together.

Oh and last off topic thing...SKRILLEX IS NOT DUBSTEP. Sorry had to let off some steam.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2017, 11:51:35 AM »

Oddly enough,  I hadn't tried to slog through discover America,  but everything else especially Song Cycle did jack all for me, and this was BEFORE I realized what an asshole he is. ..certainly not going to go back and listen now!

As far as Skrillex goes...I hesitant to criticize anybody who works in the same genre I do  (that's tacky)and my post was not intended as such, but...uh...yeah not my favorite based on personal preference /different approach to music, but more because he's used as a catch all artist for anybody who works in the same field, and I know that annoys him as much as it does me. There's as much difference between him and Tritonal  (great guys, by the way)as there are between the Beatles and Five  Finger Death Punch but are all lumped in together.

Oh and last off topic thing...SKRILLEX IS NOT DUBSTEP. Sorry had to let off some steam.

If you ever need something to listen to one day I really recommend ‘Discover America’. So smile was meant to be a bicycle ride across America...Discover America is supposed to be a Winnebago trip across the Caribbean - and I doubt the obvious homage to Smile is an accident haha. But it’s an awesome look at Caribbean folk music done by some really talented people - heck, I don’t think Van Dyke is even on it much, but he put the whole thing together. It’s a great trip.

He may be an asshole but he’s nowhere near asshole levels that a certain someone is (don’t want to trigger any apologists) and yet I’ll still listen to ‘Getcha Back’ and love the hell out of that song as well as many others in his catalogue.

Idk, to each their own and I totally respect your opinion. But there are a few things VDPs did post Song Cycle that are truly worth looking past his prickery.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2017, 12:57:34 PM »

Ironically, it seems like what VDP is alluding to as far as what he'd *like* concerning Brian capitalizing on "Smile" is a *bit* like what Mike tried to argue in his mid-2000s "Smile" lawsuits. It sounds like, while VDP isn't actually arguing any legalities, that he'd like for "Smile" to be a kind of jointly-owned piece of work that he and Brian both reap financial rewards from when it's aired or used in any form. It's a bit like when Mike tried to claim all of the stuff including "Smile" was done under an implied partnership, etc.
I would assume VDP still collects his songwriting royalties checks. There's not much else, right? I would imagine in being invited back for the 2004 album that he made some coin off of that.

I'm sure this has been explained many times on this board, but can someone provide a simple breakdown of who gets what when music is made? There's an artist royalty (Beach Boys/Brian) and songwriter's royalty (Brian/Van Dyke). If Van Dyke already gets a songwriter's royalty for Smile, then he made money off the 2004 reissue AND the box set, right? Wouldn't he also get something when the song is used or performed anywhere?

Now...I know a lot of artists have complained that royalties are next to nothing, especially with downloads. The real money is in touring. So Van Dyke may not have made very much money from Smile. But what would be the rationale for lashing out against Brian for that? Is there anything Brian could do to cause Van Dyke to make more money?
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2017, 01:04:29 PM »

I think VDPs ‘Discover America’ is one of the coolest albums ever made

You're not alone in that assertion. Easily in my top 10.

Excellent album!

MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2017, 02:19:06 PM »

I do prefer SMiLE but it was the case of a blind squirrel (VDP) miraculously finding a nut against all odds.

Who was the nut?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2017, 02:40:41 PM »

Who was the nut?

It's a figure of speech  https://www.usingenglish.com/reference/idioms/even+a+blind+squirrel+finds+a+nut+once+in+a+while.html

In this case, SMiLE itself was the nut.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 02:45:23 PM by ♩♬☮ Billy C ♯♫♩☮ » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2017, 02:46:49 PM »

If you ever need something to listen to one day I really recommend ‘Discover America’. So smile was meant to be a bicycle ride across America...Discover America is supposed to be a Winnebago trip across the Caribbean - and I doubt the obvious homage to Smile is an accident haha. But it’s an awesome look at Caribbean folk music done by some really talented people - heck, I don’t think Van Dyke is even on it much, but he put the whole thing together. It’s a great trip.

He may be an asshole but he’s nowhere near asshole levels that a certain someone is (don’t want to trigger any apologists) and yet I’ll still listen to ‘Getcha Back’ and love the hell out of that song as well as many others in his catalogue.

Idk, to each their own and I totally respect your opinion. But there are a few things VDPs did post Song Cycle that are truly worth looking past his prickery.

I'll give it a shot one day...but I will say this...my musical opinion was based on strictly that long before he took shots at me or really started in on Brian.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2017, 03:58:54 PM »

I'll give it a shot one day...but I will say this...my musical opinion was based on strictly that long before he took shots at me or really started in on Brian.

Ugh I didn’t know he took shots at you. This fandom is friggin crazy haha.

I can totally get a dislike of Song Cycle, but Discover America is a totally different animal.

Theydon Bois
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2017, 04:03:03 PM »

Oddly enough,  I hadn't tried to slog through discover America

Aw, come on man, you're better than this.  It's a fabulous album and it has Little Feat on it.  I promise you there's no slogging involved.

I think that VDP is extensively misunderstood.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2017, 04:19:28 PM »

It has Little Feat on it? f***...I guess I have to then, as I'm a big mark for Lowell George (discovered him through Robert Palmer)! 

I can totally get a dislike of Song Cycle, but Discover America is a totally different animal.

Yeah around the same time he took swipes at a couple of the members here. Might be archived.

I'll  check it out eventually. I was actually thinking about starting over with his discography fresh, but every time he takes a swipe at Brian I change my mind.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2017, 04:38:08 PM »

It has Little Feat on it? f***...I guess I have to then, as I'm a big mark for Lowell George (discovered him through Robert Palmer)! 

Yeah around the same time he took swipes at a couple of the members here. Might be archived.

I'll  check it out eventually. I was actually thinking about starting over with his discography fresh, but every time he takes a swipe at Brian I change my mind.
Billy ain't bout that life..... Wink

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2017, 04:53:46 PM »

LOL

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx