gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:16:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Today 1993 TV Movie  (Read 7112 times)
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2017, 04:12:06 AM »

I also would love to see the full release.
KDS
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2017, 05:18:39 AM »

I also would love to see the full release.

I think the only way that happens is if they one day release a massive Anthology DVD set.  Something like the three volume set that KISS released about ten years ago, which included several concerts from different eras, TV appearances, and even their cringeworthy Kiss Meets the Phantom movie.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2017, 06:30:51 AM »

I dug this out yesterday and watched some of it (didn't have much time). I took a few crude "camera pointed at the TV" screencaps. They look pretty bad; the video quality actually isn't quite as bad as the pics look.

The thing is indeed called "The Beach Boys Today" and is subtitled "A 30th Anniversary Special."

It features interviews with of course the four main principals, and also briefly Billy Hinsche, Ed Carter, Mike Kowalski, and Matt Jardine. (I kind of scanned through, so there may have been others too; it's been years since I watched this front to back).

I did go to the "Landy" section of the film. While it may well have been *aired* after the Landy debacle was over, it was definitely shot during the apparent peak of tensions, presumably right before or right as the conservatorship petitions were starting, etc.

Bruce surprisingly is the one who mentions that Brian is shut off from all of his family. Al laments that Brian isn't around, and seems to be truly sad and disappointed and worried, pointing out he felt it would have been great to have Brian with them for a 30th anniversary tour. Mike not surprisingly takes time to point out that he made "Kokomo" without Brian (Parphrasing: "Brian was nowhere near the studio." "Not that we didn't want him there.") Carl says "I've agreed to not say anything until a certain time." He then goes on to add, rather sadly (but hopefully at the time) that he could envision the band recording a new album with Brian very soon. Bruce adds that he can't wait to go through the "hundreds" of songs Brian has been writing to find some good stuff for a new album. (Note that Bruce several years later, when asked about the Paley sessions, was not as complimentary in saying "it was a courtesy for us to be there.")

My recollection is that it's certainly one of the better independent documentaries made on the band. It's about 55 minutes long. But it's such a time capsule/moment in time sort of documentary, that, especially with the contentious segment on the Landy situation, I couldn't really say you'd want to show this to a new fan as an introductory documentary.

But it most certainly has that British/European sensibility missing for most "TV" US productions. It reminds me of something like the "South Bank Show" documentary on McCartney's Broad Street, or somewhat like the US "Going Platinum" special on the KTSA album from 1980, only more serious and somber in tone and not focused on a "new" album project.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2017, 09:49:35 AM »

To the very best of my knowledge this was never aired anywhere (lack of sponsorship finance possibly)
Anyhow, and I hope I dont get a nasty email from BRI but I do own a copy of this on VHS tape (not that I currently have anything to play it on) - got it well over 20 years ago from a 3rd party AND yes from memory it is rather good
Me too Rob, think I bought mine in Greenford...?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 04:04:30 AM »

Watched some of the interview snippets, thanks for sharing... and I think I just saw a ponytail.

It's interesting how Al Jardine still seemed confused about Smiley Smile almost 25 years after they made it.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx