gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:36:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys Today 1993 TV Movie  (Read 7107 times)
Nate
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« on: November 01, 2017, 11:12:08 AM »

Today I was reading about The Beach Boys and there was a movie mentioned called The Beach Boys Today from 1993. It was apparently shown on TV and filmed from 1992-93. I've never heard of this before. I'd be really interested to see it, if anyone knows how.
KDS
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 11:22:54 AM »

Today I was reading about The Beach Boys and there was a movie mentioned called The Beach Boys Today from 1993. It was apparently shown on TV and filmed from 1992-93. I've never heard of this before. I'd be really interested to see it, if anyone knows how.

I just looked it up on IMDB.  Apparently, it's a 50 min documentary of The Beach Boys 1992-93 Tour:

"A road film with the Carl Wilson-led touring Beach Boys, filmed in 1992-93 and including in depth interviews with all band members.
Director: Michael Feeney Callan
Writer: Michael Feeney Callan
Star: The Beach Boys"
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 11:43:39 AM »

You can see some clips from the movie here:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/MichaelFeeneyCallan/videos/

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 11:52:39 AM »

Wow! I never saw that stuff.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 11:53:25 AM »

That's a documentary, often floating around titled as "30th Anniversary Special" or something along those lines.

It's an interesting time capsule from that period of time. I recall that they get a bit into the Landy stuff, but Carl doesn't want to go too much into it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 12:02:12 PM »

It just looks like a bunch of old stuff!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 12:16:04 PM »

It just looks like a bunch of old stuff!

In a documentary? No....surely not?
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 08:52:19 PM »

There have been multiple threads on here over the years asking to find it....AFAIK never been a link to it online, was only traded on vhs back in the day....anyone know if anythings changed? i even messaged the guy on FB and asked if i could buy it somehow and he never replied
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 08:56:40 PM by Needleinthehay » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 10:28:18 PM »

Wow! I never saw that stuff.
You can see Carl almost seeming to get emotional talking about Brian and drugs.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 01:08:37 AM »

Did this ever air on any network?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 02:21:16 AM »

Looks like a gem for the Carl footage, what a loss that it's more or less unavailable!

Did Bruce refuse to appear on camera? I heard him but didn't see him.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 04:56:27 AM »

Looks like a gem for the Carl footage, what a loss that it's more or less unavailable!

Did Bruce refuse to appear on camera? I heard him but didn't see him.

I saw Bruce in multiple clips.  Many of the clips are duplicated, but I think there were about 5 unique clips.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 06:01:22 AM »

Interesting Al clip talking about the confusing transition from Smile to Smiley Smile, and I think Carl pretty much nails it on why Brian couldn't complete Smile.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 06:11:10 AM »

It would be cool if this was made available via release, but that goes for about a million different films/videos.

I mean, what is really still in print as far as the BBs on video? A couple of C50 items, Knebworth 1980, the '76 NBC special, the American Band/IJWMFTT two-fer, the recent Pet Sounds documentary, and maybe a few other curios. Even "The Lost Concert" and "Endless Harmony" appear to be out of print.

I'm not sure how well the Feeney Callan documentary serves as a career-spanning doc, but it's most interesting as a time capsule of that particular period in the band's history.

And it definitely aired somewhere on TV (I always assumed in the UK?), because I've got a copy of the whole thing buried away somewhere on VHS and/or DVD. I remember the first time I saw it, it was labeled as a "30th Anniversary Special", and I assumed it would be some sort of concert thing (I recall that the BBs did some sort of gig around the Capitol building to celebrate their 30th anniversary), but it's in fact a kind of capsulated documentary from around 1991/1992.

I recall one segment where Carl talks about each backing band member, because this was all done during that relatively brief period in 1990-1992 when Adrian Baker had returned.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
KDS
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 06:16:05 AM »

Wow, I'm glad I bought Endless Harmony and the Lost Concert when I did. 

On Amazon, Endless Harmony is selling on Marketplace as high as $40.25, and Lost Concert is going for as high as $53.45
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 06:19:26 AM »

On Amazon, Endless Harmony is selling on Marketplace as high as $40.25, and Lost Concert is going for as high as $53.45

The Amazon third party marketplace, when it comes out-of-print stuff, is usually on the higher end/inflated. It appears sold items on eBay indicate you can still get both for a relatively cheap price, though sometimes it requires some patience.

Unfortunately, I'm guessing the rights to the film just lapsed and that's why EH is out of print. I'd love to think they're planning a new, longer, career-spanning documentary to replace it. But I doubt it at this stage.

KDS
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2017, 06:24:35 AM »

The Amazon third party marketplace, when it comes out-of-print stuff, is usually on the higher end/inflated. It appears sold items on eBay indicate you can still get both for a relatively cheap price, though sometimes it requires some patience.

Unfortunately, I'm guessing the rights to the film just lapsed and that's why EH is out of print. I'd love to think they're planning a new, longer, career-spanning documentary to replace it. But I doubt it at this stage.

This is true, but if you had an item to your wishlist, you can get lucky with marketplace items.   I think sometimes a seller will see the other high prices, and undercut them just to move the item.  That's how I got a copy of the Al Jardine Friends and Family CD on the cheap a couple years ago. 
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2017, 09:15:48 AM »

To the very best of my knowledge this was never aired anywhere (lack of sponsorship finance possibly)
Anyhow, and I hope I dont get a nasty email from BRI but I do own a copy of this on VHS tape (not that I currently have anything to play it on) - got it well over 20 years ago from a 3rd party AND yes from memory it is rather good
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2017, 09:33:38 AM »

As someone who recorded, dubbed, and scrounged around for anything broadcast or out on video on the band at this exact time, I don't recall this one at all. I've never seen it and definitely don't have it, and I'd watch it for the historical value.

What sticks in my mind in terms of the present day 2017 and what we know was going on with Brian and Landy, I wonder if anything related to that got mentioned in these interviews. This would have been when things were really bad...and for me it's kind of tough to see the band members on camera while Landy and his "team" were all but sending Brian Wilson to an early grave with their therapy methods and quack medicine.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2017, 11:32:18 AM »

There is a rather nice live take of 'Please Let Me Wonder' with Bruce on lead vox (recorded I believe in Glasgow in 1991) and great narration by Carl of the support musicians (with sound check footage)  including Carl stating that Billy is the funniest man in the world
GoofyJeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 11:46:12 AM »

I'd love to see this. The clips on that dude's Facebook page are tantalizing.

"Because of the attitude of a few mental dinosaurs intent on exploiting our initial success, Brian's huge talent has never been fully appreciated in America and the potential of the group has been stifled.... If the Beatles had suffered this kind of misrepresentation, they would have never got past singing 'Please Please Me' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' and leaping around in Beatle suits."
-Dennis Wilson, 1970
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »

It aired twice on tv in europe
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 12:13:39 PM »

I want to see the full film so bad! Carl talking about the musicians + Bruce singing Please Let Me Wonder sounds amazing!!!!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 01:01:02 PM »

It aired twice on tv in europe

Yeah, it always struck me as something that was taped off of TV. Not that "unaired" stuff never escapes (e.g. "Our Team"), but when I got this back however many years ago, I hadn't previously heard of it.

According to IMDB, this doc was a co-production with RTE out of Ireland.

I can't remember for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if this full doc was previously up on YouTube on that epic Beach Boys channel that was taken down. You know, because what fans *really* need to be protected from is random TV news blurbs and Merv Griffin interviews....

mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 05:12:39 PM »

I've posted about this before.

It is a really good documentary, shot during the 1991 Tour.  As well as Please Let Me Wonder from Glasgow there is a fabulous God Only Knows.  I was at the Glasgow gig and couldn't believe it when I saw this at the Stomp Convention in 1992.  Copies were later traded and I have it on VHS.  I think I copied it to DVD last year.  I'd need to locate it.  I have never seen it on YouTube.  The interviews are really interesting.  I think some of the interviews appear to have been shot in the then Moat House hotel in Glasgow where they stayed on that 1991 Tour.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx