-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:01:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: peteramescarlin.com
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Happy Halloween
Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Happy Halloween  (Read 7124 times)
KDS
« on: October 31, 2017, 07:13:27 AM »

To anyone that celebrates...

Have a Happy, and Safe, Halloween.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 01:29:00 PM »

To anyone that celebrates...

Have a Happy, and Safe, Halloween.

Well said, KDS----although it doesn't apply to me personally. In NL (where it's not a tradition at all and was only recently added to the yearly festivities) they usually select the Saturday before or after the 31st for what is basically a kids' street party. So it's not confined to that date (although I did see a couple of houses with Hallowe'en decorations out this evening).

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 07:34:29 PM »

Fun holiday. Pirate Bizarrely, it's cancelled here but despite that, every year this day I carry fangs in the bag - going back home in the evening, I go in the supermarket to buy food & don fangs when dealing with cashiers. They smile like silly. But here's more to it - some time back, that day the power cut in the shop & the fangs shone in the dark with green light. Isn't it cool? 3D

2KDS: Did you see horrors today? Is it different film every year?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 05:15:45 AM »

Fun holiday. Pirate Bizarrely, it's cancelled here but despite that, every year this day I carry fangs in the bag - going back home in the evening, I go in the supermarket to buy food & don fangs when dealing with cashiers. They smile like silly. But here's more to it - some time back, that day the power cut in the shop & the fangs shone in the dark with green light. Isn't it cool? 3D

2KDS: Did you see horrors today? Is it different film every year?

I didn't watch any horror movies on Halloween.  Instead, I watched some Halloween episodes of The Simpsons and Roseanne.

I tend to try to fit in horror movies here and there throughout the month of October.  The one I always make a point to watch is the 2007 movie Trick R Treat.  And, not really a horror, but my wife and I always watch The Nightmare Before Christmas in October.  This year, I mixed in Frankenstein Meets the Wolfman (1943), The Gravedancers (2006), House of 1000 Corpses (2003), Dead and Breakfast (2004), The Babadook (2014), The Legend of Hell House (1973), Halloween III (1982), Tales of Halloween (2015), The Sentinel (1977), and I think that's it.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 05:58:31 AM »

Cool list but didn't see "The Babadook". SCaroline Z told me she liked it. She & you both. Then you do like sth. new? In previous discussions, you said you don't seem excited about new pictures. Is it indeed good horror?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 06:07:00 AM »

Cool list but didn't see "The Babadook". SCaroline Z told me she liked it. She & you both. Then you do like sth. new? In previous discussions, you said you don't seem excited about new pictures. Is it indeed good horror?

I'm usually not too keen on new stuff.  But, I've heard so many good things about the Babadook, I figured I'd give it a shot.  It was a decent little supernatural movie.   The thing I liked about it is it didn't rely too heavily on "jump scares." 

Overall, you're right, I think most modern mainstream movies aren't worth the time, but there have been a decent amount of supernatural based horror released in recent years with Dead Silence, The Conjuring, Insidious, and Sinister. 

As for 2015's Tales from Halloween, it's another anthology type movie (there have been a few of these since Trick R Treat became a cult hit).  A friend recommended it, so I checked it out on Netflix and was very entertained.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 07:09:46 AM »

Thanks, "The Babadook" is next to check then. Did you see "It" yet? Stephen King himself liked it. I'd seen it today - mixed about it. To me, Tim Curry is THE perfect Pennywise, the kid who played him now took time to get used to. The main H&V - prefer the 1990 Henry Bowers, Bev, George, Eddie-spaghetti, Stan. But, Bill & Ben were equally good here. Not sure about Richie & Mike - sometimes they're better, other times not. But I didn't like Richie in Losers club anyway (along with Stan).
Reading Imdb trivia, it's interesting that these children said who they'd like to see when they're adults. F.ex., the actress who played Bev said Jessica Chastain, "Richie" cited Bill Hader. Besides, Jarred Blancard (90s Henry) gave his blessing to the new Henry & that boy studied Jarred's acting before playing. Nice, isn't it?

KDS
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 07:32:37 AM »

Thanks, "The Babadook" is next to check then. Did you see "It" yet? Stephen King himself liked it. I'd seen it today - mixed about it. To me, Tim Curry is THE perfect Pennywise, the kid who played him now took time to get used to. The main H&V - prefer the 1990 Henry Bowers, Bev, George, Eddie-spaghetti, Stan. But, Bill & Ben were equally good here. Not sure about Richie & Mike - sometimes they're better, other times not. But I didn't like Richie in Losers club anyway (along with Stan).
Reading Imdb trivia, it's interesting that these children said who they'd like to see when they're adults. F.ex., the actress who played Bev said Jessica Chastain, "Richie" cited Bill Hader. Besides, Jarred Blancard (90s Henry) gave his blessing to the new Henry & that boy studied Jarred's acting before playing. Nice, isn't it?

Believe it or not, I've never seen the original mini series It.  So, I'd like to check that out before seeing the remake.  I've heard mixed things about the remake.  I've heard it's pretty good, but falls into a few modern horror cliches (ie. jump scares). 

It's nice that the actors and filmmakers showed a great deal of respect for the original. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 08:59:24 AM »

There isn't anything scary about it, I didn't jump during any scene. But it doesn't mean it's bad thru & thru. There's good stuff in both this & mini-series. I'd like to read your reviews when at last you get to see the either. I like comparing different reviews. Deal?

I read at PS you're big "Halloween" fan. Do you buy anything with it - T-shirts, soundtrack CD, copy-book?

KDS
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 09:02:40 AM »

There isn't anything scary about it, I didn't jump during any scene. But it doesn't mean it's bad thru & thru. There's good stuff in both this & mini-series. I'd like to read your reviews when at last you get to see the either. I like comparing different reviews. Deal?

I read at PS you're big "Halloween" fan. Do you buy anything with it - T-shirts, soundtrack CD, copy-book?

It might be a bit of a wait for "It."  With a run time over three hours, I likely won't get around to it for some time. 

The movie franchise Halloween?  I recall seeing a tshirt at Walmart for $5, and always regretted not getting it.  But, other than the DVDs, I don't have any of merch.  I used to have a novelization of Halloween 4, but I think it's gone. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 09:13:10 AM »

Whopping 5$ for little patch of fabric? Do they kid? Roll Eyes

When's the last time you went to costume Halloween party? What did you go as? When kids knock the door, do you prepare candies?

KDS
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 09:27:01 AM »

Whopping 5$ for little patch of fabric? Do they kid? Roll Eyes

When's the last time you went to costume Halloween party? What did you go as? When kids knock the door, do you prepare candies?

I used to hand out candy, but we didn't have any trick or treaters at our new place.  I was ready though.

My wife and I dressed as zombies in 2013, and that was the last year I dressed up. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 07:04:25 AM »

Cool, maybe should sing sth. by The Zombies. What's the reason to not dressing lately? Do you think you're too old? Wife refuses & you think it would be unfair to go alone? Tell.

KDS
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 07:06:39 AM »

Cool, maybe should sing sth. by The Zombies. What's the reason to not dressing lately? Do you think you're too old? Wife refuses & you think it would be unfair to go alone? Tell.

You're never too old to dress up. 

But, we've kinda becoming homebodies.  The first two years we were together, we dressed up and went out to bars the weekend prior to Halloween.   Then, we just started taking it easy, and stayed home to relax and watch Halloween TV stuff. 

But, when we take our son trick or treating in the years to come, we'll do family costumes. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 07:16:54 AM »

Well said.

Btw, didn't know you had son. He must be about 2-2.5? Do you show the boy horrors to get immune against fright? F.ex., I like horrors since 5 & went to library to read this really fat book with short frightful stories - "Red hand", "Yellow gloves", "Green face". Cool stuff.

KDS
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 07:28:02 AM »

Well said.

Btw, didn't know you had son. He must be about 2-2.5? Do you show the boy horrors to get immune against fright? F.ex., I like horrors since 5 & went to library to read this really fat book with short frightful stories - "Red hand", "Yellow gloves", "Green face". Cool stuff.

He's not been born yet, he's due next month. 

As for horror shows, we'd probably start him with horror based cartoons to see how he responds.  I remember watching the old Disney cartoons like Skeleton Dance and Haunted House at a very young age.  Then, Garfield's Halloween Adventure premiered when I was five (1985).  Those cartoons feature some pretty creepy moments.  I think I saw my first horror movie at around 8 years of age.  And I think seeing those cartoons at an early age got me wired to watch horror movies. 

But, I'd probably start him with the older movies like monster movies, Vincent Price stuff etc before some of the more graphic stuff. 
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 06:41:52 AM »

I see. Happy childbearing to the wife. I like "Garfield". My favorite comics after "Calvin & Hobbes". I wish new horrors made with & around cats. Maybe sth. dealing with witchcraft, cats terrifying city as spectres, gigantic cats in the same way as dinosaurs, feature film adaptation of "CatDog" cartoon series but humor-free, sth. about docile cats that hide mystic powers within - ideas galore. Maybe you'd seen horrors with cats?

KDS
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 06:53:57 AM »

I see. Happy childbearing to the wife. I like "Garfield". My favorite comics after "Calvin & Hobbes". I wish new horrors made with & around cats. Maybe sth. dealing with witchcraft, cats terrifying city as spectres, gigantic cats in the same way as dinosaurs, feature film adaptation of "CatDog" cartoon series but humor-free, sth. about docile cats that hide mystic powers within - ideas galore. Maybe you'd seen horrors with cats?

Theres an obscure horror movie called The Uncanny that features three stories of cats.  In one, a teenage girl torments her young cousin who happens to be a witch.  The teen hurts the witch's cat.  For revenge, the young witch shrinks the teen to doll size and has the cat chase her around. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: