gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:47:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Jim James' cover of I Just Wasn't Made for These Times  (Read 2303 times)
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2017, 07:21:59 AM »

This is epic. By Jim James of My Morning Jacket - I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, in an arrangement exactly like Isaac Hayes' version of By The Time I Get To Phoenix.

https://pitchfork.com/news/my-morning-jackets-jim-james-covers-beach-boys-i-just-wasnt-made-for-these-times-listen/?mbid=social_twitter
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 07:47:22 AM »

This is epic. By Jim James of My Morning Jacket - I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, in an arrangement exactly like Isaac Hayes' version of By The Time I Get To Phoenix.

https://pitchfork.com/news/my-morning-jackets-jim-james-covers-beach-boys-i-just-wasnt-made-for-these-times-listen/?mbid=social_twitter

That really is fantastic! Many thanks for sharing, WB.

"James recorded the cover over a sample of Isaac Hayes’ 'By the Time I Get to Phoenix,' itself a cover of the Jimmy Webb song popularized by Glen Campbell."

Full circle, in a way. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 08:05:39 AM »

A sample, you say. That explains a few things. There were times I was almost laughing at how exactly he seemed to be getting the arrangement right.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 08:15:15 AM »

A sample, you say. That explains a few things. There were times I was almost laughing at how exactly he seemed to be getting the arrangement right.

That's from the Pitchfork review. It goes on to say: "In a press release, James explains that he 'ripped apart "By the Time I Get to Phoenix" and put it back together again as "I Just Wasn’t Made for These Times"' while listening to the master tapes for Hayes’ Hot Buttered Soul."

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 10:00:51 AM »

Great cover! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 10:40:59 AM »

this cover is pretty fresh imo
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 12:48:35 AM »

It's interesting how he can apply a completely different set of chords and arrive at approximately the same melody as the original.  This definitely took some planning and forethought.  For me though, what makes this song is Brian's original chord changes, which are quite possibly from some other planet.  I was playing it on the keyboard earlier today... it's totally out there, in a fantastic way.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx