gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:47:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sunshine Tomorrow She's Going Bald?  (Read 7979 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2017, 06:11:12 AM »

We get an entire stereo version of Wild Honey. It seems odd to me that disc 2 doesn't go througj a stereo mix of the entire Smiley Smiley album. A few alternate versions, which is cool. And as far as I can tell, She's Goin Bald is the only song not touched from Smiley. Any reason why? I have even heard Mike mention the song in a past interview.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 07:53:00 AM »

"Smiley Smile" was released in stereo in 2012 by Capitol:

https://www.amazon.com/Smiley-Smile-Mono-Stereo-Remasters/dp/B008LA7RI4

I guess the 2012 mono/stereo discs may not be in print any longer. But used copies are plentiful it would appear in most cases (I didn't look up every title).

The mono/stereo "Smiley Smile" CD was also released by Analogue Productions as a CD/SACD hybrid, which still appears to be available:

https://www.musicdirect.com/optical-disc/the-beach-boys-smiley-smile-hybrid-stereo-sacd

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
zosobird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 08:00:09 AM »

While I agree it would have been great to get more of the Smiley Smile tracking sessions, i don't understand your complaint.

Smiley Smile is already widely available as a stereo mix, (since 2012?). This was the first time a Wild Honey stereo mix became available.

https://www.discogs.com/Beach-Boys-Smiley-Smile/master/78344
https://www.discogs.com/The-Beach-Boys-Smiley-Smile/release/8747494
https://www.amazon.com/Smiley-Smile-Mono-Stereo-Mixes/dp/B00URMHPFO

Original mono mix produced by The Beach Boys
Stereo mixes produced by Mark Linett and Alan Boyd / Mixed by Mark Linett

Smiley Smile stereo mix created using the original 1967 session multi-tracks. The album, having been recorded to analog tape, was then transferred to high resolution digital and then mixed from high resolution digital assembled masters (88.2 kHz/24 bit) and printed to 1/4" analog tape at 15 ips CCIR.

Also, there are a plethora of Smiley Smile tracking sessions available on Sea of Tunes vol 18
https://www.discogs.com/Beach-Boys-Unsurpassed-Masters-Vol-18-1967-The-Alternate-Smiley-Smile-Album/release/3295739
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:00:39 AM by zosobird » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 08:31:42 AM »

I thought there was a stereo release of Wild Honey already as well. This is not so much a complaint. I really like this release. Just seemed odd that She’s Going Bald was the only song from Smiley not touched as far as I can tell.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
yrplace
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 08:50:56 AM »

I thought there was a stereo release of Wild Honey already as well. This is not so much a complaint. I really like this release. Just seemed odd that She’s Going Bald was the only song from Smiley not touched as far as I can tell.

stay tuned
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 08:55:26 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:16:37 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 08:58:02 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:16:32 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 09:18:28 AM »

There's nothing on Gettin' Hungry either unless you count the Hawaii live version. I don't really mind given that so much is already on SoT, they chose a good selection of bonus tracks for how many disks they had to work with but what I'd really love one day is a proper Smiley Smile / Wild Honey Sessions box as unlikely a chance there is of that ever happening. Pet Sounds & Smile Sessions style sets for basically any of their albums up to Surf's Up (& also Love You) would probably be super interesting. CATP & Holland could make do with a Sunshine Tomorrow type deal.

I was about to mention Getting Hungry, but realized there is at least a little Be version. I understand there was limited space. But I would have left off the Surfs Up Sessions given that it is already on the Smile Sessions. Perhaps I’m knit picking. Over all a great release. And I have been over all happy with the work that Alan Boyd and Mark Linett have been doing!

wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 09:21:01 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:16:26 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 11:13:07 AM »

There's nothing on Gettin' Hungry either unless you count the Hawaii live version. I don't really mind given that so much is already on SoT, they chose a good selection of bonus tracks for how many disks they had to work with but what I'd really love one day is a proper Smiley Smile / Wild Honey Sessions box as unlikely a chance there is of that ever happening. Pet Sounds & Smile Sessions style sets for basically any of their albums up to Surf's Up (& also Love You) would probably be super interesting. CATP & Holland could make do with a Sunshine Tomorrow type deal.

I was about to mention Getting Hungry, but realized there is at least a little Be version. I understand there was limited space. But I would have left off the Surfs Up Sessions given that it is already on the Smile Sessions. Perhaps I’m knit picking. Over all a great release. And I have been over all happy with the work that Alan Boyd and Mark Linett have been doing!
That minute and a half of Brian doing Surf's Up warm-up takes is my favourite thing on the whole set!

It's cool, but isn't on the Smile sessions box? Just in terms of representing every Smiley Smile song to include She's Going Bald.

wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 11:58:53 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:16:21 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 12:01:53 PM »

stay tuned

Shocked What can it mean?!?!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 12:20:14 PM »

1) Treat others as you expect to be treated yourself.

2) Keep Smiley Smile in mono.

As a basic life philosophy,  it's simple, but it's really all you need.

wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 12:24:14 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:16:16 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2017, 12:35:21 PM »

Keep up the good work Mark! Smiley

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 12:43:01 PM »

And if you can ... get us a definitive Can't Wait Too Long!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 02:58:29 PM »

stay tuned

Well boys I don't wanna jump the gun and speculate too hard but I'd say this means the copyright extension release is giving us the complete Smiley Smile multitracks, Good Vibrations in true stereo, Surf's Up Part 2, the I Ran vocal session, March 2nd two part Heroes and Villains safety copy, Do A Lot: Toothbrush & Running Water Edition, Dennis' I Just Wasn't Made for These Times vocal, and most importantly Is Jack Rieley Superman?

I'm in, but ONLY if this paves the way for the release of the complete Jasper Daily sessions!  Razz

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 03:42:43 PM »

Or lost 1967 BW humor album! Cool Guy

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 05:42:50 PM »

stay tuned

Archival release with Smile sessions and mixes not on the box (Barnyard in stereo with backing vocals, the 3 minute mono mix of Child for example), Smiley sessions and alternate mixes and outtakes (there's a With Me Tonight still unreleased), complete Hawaii live concerts and rehearsals!  I'm ready for it Mark and Alan!
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 06:21:06 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:16:11 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 06:54:10 PM »

stay tuned

Archival release with Smile sessions and mixes not on the box (Barnyard in stereo with backing vocals, the 3 minute mono mix of Child for example), Smiley sessions and alternate mixes and outtakes (there's a With Me Tonight still unreleased), complete Hawaii live concerts and rehearsals!  I'm ready for it Mark and Alan!

Get ready for disappointment then Wink

Remember how with the Graduation Day 1966 release, there were a few bonus tracks made up of some radio spots and "Row Row Row Your Boat"? I'd expect a similar situation here. Like, for example, the main focus would be the two Hawaii shows, with a couple little bonuses that didn't make it onto Sunshine Tomorrow tacked on there at the end. I'd crap my pants if the Durrie Parks H&V acetate was one of them!

wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 07:24:45 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:16:05 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2017, 07:34:03 PM »

Yeah I don't have a lot of faith but they'd be crazy to not put out stereo mixes of the other Smile stuff that can be in stereo but hasn't been released digitally yet, it's practically the only thing I can imagine non-hardcore fans would actually care about and want to pay money for

I would think most non-fans would find the currently released five discs of sessions to be sufficient.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2017, 07:51:54 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:15:56 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 09:26:54 PM »

Yeah I don't have a lot of faith but they'd be crazy to not put out stereo mixes of the other Smile stuff that can be in stereo but hasn't been released digitally yet, it's practically the only thing I can imagine non-hardcore fans would actually care about and want to pay money for

I would think most non-fans would find the currently released five discs of sessions to be sufficient.

Those same people also often post in youtube comments sections that they wish this stuff was in full stereo, or seek out fan stereo mixes, or say they sometimes prefer listening to BWPS because of the better sound quality. Non-fans aren't even gonna have the 5 disk set in the first place.

And you would argue that commenters on YouTube videos are a likely market for archival releases of Beach Boys sessions?
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx