gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:49:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys are the only ones who can sing like the Beach Boys  (Read 7787 times)
KDS
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2017, 06:21:00 AM »

One thing I have noticed about others that sing like the Beach Boys is that the high falsetto parts often sound too shrill. Brian was one of the most beautiful falsetto singers I have heard from 62-73

Kinda reminds me how Rolling Stone magazine once rated Kurt Cobain as a better singer than Brian. Kurt’s listed at #45, while Brian’s at #52. What an absolute joke...

I'll never understand why fans and critics continue to rate Cobain so highly. 
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2017, 08:08:01 AM »

I've never understood why Cobain was/is so popular in general. Dude does nothing for me.
KDS
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2017, 08:10:24 AM »

I've never understood why Cobain was/is so popular in general. Dude does nothing for me.

Same here.  Most overrated musician in history if you ask me. 
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2017, 09:22:44 AM »

Same here.  Most overrated musician in history if you ask me. 

Was Carl Wilson on the list? I think he is likely not. If that is the case, he is perhaps the most under rated vocalist of all time outside of Beach Boys fandom! He sang lead on 2 number 1 hits (Good Vibrations and Kokamo), and one of the most popular Beach Boys songs (God Only Knows).

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2017, 01:58:26 PM »

Going to guess you're either in your 50s or 60s, but as someone who's 35 and was 12 in 1994 when Nirvana was at their peak (and the year Cobain died), Nirvana and Cobain's songs were a bridge between '60s music and noisy hard rock. Their songs had undeniable hooks and melodies and were completely different from anything else at the time in the mainstream. He/they inspired so many kids that they could be successful with making noisy/loud/frustrating music, if the SONGS were powerful, which they very much were. That band had ZERO gimmicks either — just a huge sound with great songs from three dudes who changed music forever. Cobain also was hugely inspired by the Beatles, which is obvious if you've ever truly given them a listen.
bonnevillemariner
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2017, 05:12:28 PM »

Going to guess you're either in your 50s or 60s, but as someone who's 35 and was 12 in 1994 when Nirvana was at their peak (and the year Cobain died), Nirvana and Cobain's songs were a bridge between '60s music and noisy hard rock. Their songs had undeniable hooks and melodies and were completely different from anything else at the time in the mainstream. He/they inspired so many kids that they could be successful with making noisy/loud/frustrating music, if the SONGS were powerful, which they very much were. That band had ZERO gimmicks either — just a huge sound with great songs from three dudes who changed music forever. Cobain also was hugely inspired by the Beatles, which is obvious if you've ever truly given them a listen.

Boy, you assume a lot. I'm actually 39 and am quite fond of the Beatles. It's always amusing when a fan takes personally your critique of an artist they like.

I happen to believe that a lot of the hype around Cobain arose because of his suicide, not in spite of it. I fail to see how these three dudes changed music forever. Further, genuineness and lack of gimmicks does not necessarily add up to good music-- nor do they make for a legacy I'm obligated not to critique.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2017, 05:46:04 PM »

Kinda reminds me how Rolling Stone magazine once rated Kurt Cobain as a better singer than Brian. Kurt’s listed at #45, while Brian’s at #52. What an absolute joke...
I bet it's sth. to do with people's shock & sympathy, they raise them to the sky after smb. dies young. Then create lame 27 club. Roll Eyes As if there's some divine sign about that digit.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
KDS
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2017, 05:16:52 AM »

I bet it's sth. to do with people's shock & sympathy, they raise them to the sky after smb. dies young. Then create lame 27 club. Roll Eyes As if there's some divine sign about that digit.

I believe there's some truth to the fact that at times, musicians who died young are more revered than ones who didn't.  Same goes for bands that had very short, but productive runs. 
Big Daddy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2017, 04:46:30 PM »

To me, I can tell apart the vocal harmonies because Brian's harmonies move me to tears. To me, I disagree with the common notion that it takes multiple listens to "get" Pet Sounds or the Beach Boys. I think you either get it or you don't. For me, listening to the Beach Boys brings me closer to God and to a spiritual place more than church ever did (and that is not a knock on church). Their voices are angelic, yet convey so much feeling and emotion that just cuts right through to my soul. There is just so much love in those vocals that it overwhelms me with emotion. For whatever reason, most people aren't moved by the Beach Boys in that way. I don't feel the need to argue the point with them, I think they are wired one way and probably the majority of this board is wired closer to my perspective. God bless all the wonderful fans on this board who simply "get it". I "got it" the first time I heard them when I was 4 years old. I'm betting a lot of people on this board had a first encounter with the Beach Boys that hit them like a bolt of lightning the same way it did to me.
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2017, 05:25:50 PM »

Heavenly vocals. That's all I can say. That and the most incredible arrangements and melodies you could ever hear. Not just the '65-'67' stuff, but littered all though-out their music, Even on a supposed filler type early song like 'Custom Machine'. Brian's wailing falsetto, crazy chord changes and a constant changing melody, out of this world harmonising. It doesn't matter if they're singing about transcendental meditation, getting married, monkey's uncle's or the solar system. Often, they're the most impassioned vocalists in pop music. Put all the band politics to one side and LISTEN to how those melodies and harmonies bring everything together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpcGEOEeBb0
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2017, 11:54:41 PM »

Heavenly vocals. That's all I can say. That and the most incredible arrangements and melodies you could ever hear. Not just the '65-'67' stuff, but littered all though-out their music, Even on a supposed filler type early song like 'Custom Machine'. Brian's wailing falsetto, crazy chord changes and a constant changing melody, out of this world harmonising. It doesn't matter if they're singing about transcendental meditation, getting married, monkey's uncle's or the solar system. Often, they're the most impassioned vocalists in pop music. Put all the band politics to one side and LISTEN to how those melodies and harmonies bring everything together.

Exactly. The Beach Boys were the complete package - great songs, great records featuring great playing, and the best vocals ever. It's a blend that has been often imitated, but there is something special about that vocal blend that no one can equal.
Hickory Violet Part IV
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2017, 05:03:47 PM »

Beach Boys sang "All other skin is fake on a band"

Beach Boys adhere to silence

Brian and his Great Mates

The power of Dennis Wilson

In Carl the reason for the sound.

Mike's "In the face" feedback

Al Jardine and his resting person

Ladies and gentlemen.......

The Beach Boys

Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2017, 05:50:30 PM »

Exactly. The Beach Boys were the complete package - great songs, great records featuring great playing, and the best vocals ever. It's a blend that has been often imitated, but there is something special about that vocal blend that no one can equal.

It was said many years ago - Brian could do it all...and he had his brothers, cousin and Al whom he always credits for completing the sound.  It made a magical thing no one else can match.  At the same time, when Brian toured with his band, he often described them as "angels" in certain song.  The original band's sound won't happen again in our lifetimes, I'm guessing.  But Brian picked what works and it's magical. I love his band and his concerts as long as he chooses to tour or make records. 

BTW, I'm also a Beatles lover - as amazing as they were, it wasn't the same celestial perfection Brian can create.  We are so lucky to have both.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx