gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:51:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fats Domino RIP  (Read 9512 times)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2017, 07:25:42 AM »

The great Fats Domino passed away peacefully last night.

RIP 😢
« Last Edit: October 25, 2017, 07:36:57 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 07:38:28 AM »

So many great hits...he will be missed

Blueberry Hill
Ain't That A Shame
My Blue Heaven
Blue Monday
I'm Walkin'
Walking to New Orleans
I'm in Love Again
The Fat Man
Whole Lotta Loving

and many more great songs
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 08:01:07 AM »

One of my favorites - My Blue Heaven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjRN-74qPuc

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 08:22:31 AM »

One of the greats.

When he sang the blues, it sounded happy.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 09:19:50 AM »

Just heard it on the radio. Fats... Sad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIz1cPfTRW4

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 12:22:46 PM »

One of the greats.

When he sang the blues, it sounded happy.

Well said, sir. Even on songs like "There Goes My Heart Again", where the man's being thoroughly rebuffed, he still sounds like he's having a ball:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSElj-qm5Jc

Eighty-nine is a good age. May he rest in peace.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 03:37:39 PM »

Jimmy Smith and Fats Domino - Live in Jazz 1962.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFkK8sjDI7c

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 11:57:47 PM »

2017 has been a terrible year for music death's, but I guess when you live as long as Fats did, or Chuck Berry, or Glen Campbell, it should be expected. It really seems like rock and roll just died. Not many guys left from the first generation; Jerry Lee Lewis is still at it, but Little Richard has renounced rock and roll - again - and gone back to the ministry. We've got one Everly Brother left, and he's not singing anymore. It's downright depressing. I really want to be in heaven now with that great band.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 02:32:00 PM »

Fats Domino passing as announced on New Orleans TV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EV0hXwA-dQk

Fats Domino on jewelry, gambling, and why he doesn't get involved in civil rights | 1968 interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYIBh7OIuEk

Fats Domino - Mike Douglas Show 1971 Blueberry Hill - Interview - The Fat Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FE6rBraNUc

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 02:58:05 PM »

2017 has been a terrible year for music death's, but I guess when you live as long as Fats did, or Chuck Berry, or Glen Campbell, it should be expected. It really seems like rock and roll just died. Not many guys left from the first generation; Jerry Lee Lewis is still at it, but Little Richard has renounced rock and roll - again - and gone back to the ministry. We've got one Everly Brother left, and he's not singing anymore. It's downright depressing. I really want to be in heaven now with that great band.

Take heart, LS. We still have Duane Eddy (79) and Ronnie Hawkins (82)----not quite first-generation rock'n'rollers but major names nonetheless in the late '50s, early '60s.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 06:19:09 AM »

Little Richard about Fats Domino's death:

Little Richard Remembers Fats Domino: 'He Could Make a Piano Talk'

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/little-richard-on-fats-domino-he-could-make-a-piano-talk-w510300

- Jack Rieley
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2017, 12:48:25 PM »

My parents saw him live at Tipitina’s in 2007 when he played his first concert after Katrina, which also happened to be his last concert ever. If you Google “Fat’s Domino - Walkin’ Back to New Orleans” you will see this last concert. It still amazes me that at age 79, his voice still sounded exactly as it did on the original records.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 03:46:02 PM »

It still amazes me that at age 79, his voice still sounded exactly as it did on the original records.

Absolutely!

For those who’d like an in-depth review of Fats Domino’s career, there is a multi part series available for the next several weeks on BBC6 radio.
In your favorite search engine key in Fats Domino BBC radio and it should come right up.
The series was originally broadcast about 15 years ago, so the bittersweet thing is that almost all of those interviewed, with the exception of Dave Bartholomew (who’s well into his 90s now) are now in that great recording studio in the sky.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2017, 06:02:49 PM »

Eighty-nine is a good age.
Agree 100%.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 11:47:58 PM »

My parents saw him live at Tipitina’s in 2007 when he played his first concert after Katrina, which also happened to be his last concert ever. If you Google “Fat’s Domino - Walkin’ Back to New Orleans” you will see this last concert. It still amazes me that at age 79, his voice still sounded exactly as it did on the original records.
I need to look that one up. There was a PBS special about Fats a couple years ago, but there wasn't any live footage beyond 1962. I found that disappointing. Both times I saw him in concert, 1986 and 1990, he was great. Had most of his original band with him, including Dave Bartholomew and Herbert Hardesty.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2017, 11:00:15 AM »

Fats Domino second line in New Orleans: Fitting tribute for a founding father of rock 'n' roll

http://www.theadvocate.com/new_orleans/entertainment_life/keith_spera/article_7fb40d5e-bf49-11e7-8bc2-af9acba044fb.html

- Jack Rieley
MikestheGreatest!!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2017, 02:31:33 PM »

Everybody loved the Fat Man....funny, I was listening to Elvis Radio on Sirius the day before Fats died, and they played an old clip of Elvis introducing himself at a concert appearance at the International Hotel (think that is right? anyway a Vegas hotel) to the audience as "hello, I'm Fats Domino", which received some laughter.  I figured perhaps Fats was in the audience....kinda eerie to hear the next day that he had passed on....I think "Walkin' to New Orleans" was my favorite....
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 04:37:58 AM »

Everybody loved the Fat Man....funny, I was listening to Elvis Radio on Sirius the day before Fats died, and they played an old clip of Elvis introducing himself at a concert appearance at the International Hotel (think that is right? anyway a Vegas hotel) to the audience as "hello, I'm Fats Domino", which received some laughter.  I figured perhaps Fats was in the audience....kinda eerie to hear the next day that he had passed on....I think "Walkin' to New Orleans" was my favorite....

Yeah, the International. It later beacme the Hilton, I believe around 1971.
Fats and Elvis were friendly. There's a recording from 1970 of Elvis introducing Fats to the audience and mentioning how many gold records Fats had. From time to time he introduced himself as other people, including Fats.

ca. 1963
I think this was a picture that was very dear to Fats. I remember after Katrina he bemoaned his grand piano and a picture of himself and Elvis getting destroyed.

The last two come from Presley's press conference after his very first show after his movie phase, in 1969. So it seems that Fats was part of the invitation-only audience.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 04:43:13 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 05:57:06 AM »

ca. 1963
I think this was a picture that was very dear to Fats. I remember after Katrina he bemoaned his grand piano and a picture of himself and Elvis getting destroyed.

The last two come from Presley's press conference after his very first show after his movie phase, in 1969. So it seems that Fats was part of the invitation-only audience.

Great pictures, Rocker. What a shame Fats lost that one (and the grand).

I wonder if Fats can be seen in that show...

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 09:21:28 AM »

ca. 1963

Great pictures, Rocker. What a shame Fats lost that one (and the grand).

I wonder if Fats can be seen in that show...

I don't think it was filmed. Although there are rumours that TV station footage might exist.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2017, 03:07:14 AM »

I found it on youtube. Elvis in 1970 introducing Fats. After that Elvis' 1957 studio recording of "Blueberry hill" (it has it's charme but it sounds more like a impromptu version -  also this seems to be an alternate version and not the master take), and then Fats' recording of "Love me" with an live dedication to Elvis (I don't know where the live part comes from and if he also played "Love me" after that comment)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54sVT4CtmEM

And this:

Music legend Fats Domino turns 88 remembering Elvis Presley

https://www.axs.com/news/music-legend-fats-domino-turns-88-remembering-elvis-presley-77005

Here's the "Walkin' back to New Orleans" documentary:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QB1tJXBfJg
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 03:22:10 AM by Rocker » Logged

- Jack Rieley
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 12:16:43 AM »

I was waiting to see what Rolling Stone might do in memory of Fats, but unlike Chuck Berry, he didn't get the cover. I didn't even recognize the woman on the cover. Tom Petty's death got a lot more attention, but I guess that happens when you die young. Fats lived a long, full life, but hadn't been active musically in a long time. To the younger generations, he's either someone they're not familiar with, or someone they heard their parents or (gasp!) grandparents talk about.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2017, 04:44:48 PM »

I was waiting to see what Rolling Stone might do in memory of Fats, but unlike Chuck Berry, he didn't get the cover. I didn't even recognize the woman on the cover. Tom Petty's death got a lot more attention, but I guess that happens when you die young. Fats lived a long, full life, but hadn't been active musically in a long time. To the younger generations, he's either someone they're not familiar with, or someone they heard their parents or (gasp!) grandparents talk about.

Sad, but true. Yet, Fats Domino belongs on the “Mount Rushmore” of Rock and Roll and is one of the reasons a magazine like Rolling Stone even exists.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2017, 10:29:33 PM »

Sad, but true. Yet, Fats Domino belongs on the “Mount Rushmore” of Rock and Roll and is one of the reasons a magazine like Rolling Stone even exists.
Absolutely.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2018, 05:29:21 AM »

Grammys 2018: Watch Gary Clark Jr., Jon Batiste Salute Chuck Berry, Fats Domino
Blues-rock artist, 'Late Show' bandleader cover "Ain't That a Shame," "Maybelline"

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/grammys-2018-watch-gary-clark-jr-jon-batiste-salute-chuck-berry-fats-domino-w515915

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx