gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:12:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your SMiLE sequence  (Read 12574 times)
Very Extremely Dan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2017, 08:10:11 PM »

Can we all agree that there is a possibility that “Our Prayer” was once meant to precede “Good Vibrations” during the early development of the project? After all, “Good Vibrations” is plastered all over the SMiLE album-sleeve.

Yeah, I'm 100% converted to that. I think Prayer may have been moved to the closer after Surf's Up by as soon as even the October dinner party, but I'm totally on board with Prayer > GV being the original intended start of the album that got derailed when Heroes and Villains became the all-important new single. Everything out there points to it.

I need to revisit the boxset for the dates but I'm remembering that they cut "Prayer" twice.  One was in C# and the second version was in D#.  (Though maybe the D# version was just the C# version sped up a whole tone a'la "Caroline, No"?!?!?!)  Not to get too muso but the C# version would "set up" H&V and the D# version would "set up" Good Vibrations or "Gee".....

Whichever version was cut second would suggest which song it was intended to pre-ceed....though D# could mean either....shoot!

wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2017, 01:46:21 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:16:59 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2017, 03:51:07 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:16:53 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

There's no outdoing The Beatles

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2017, 10:15:01 AM »

Michael Vosse claimed that “Do You Like Worms” and “Cabin Essence” were once closely related, and omitted lines from “Do You Like Worms” seem to imply this (I’m going to paraphrase these lines): “The East or West Indies, we always got them confused.” I feel this might have been some form of commentary on the struggle of the Eastern migrant-workers on the song “Cabin Essence” and about the “Bicycle Rider”’s affect on the “...Church of the American Indian.” I recall Vosse elaborating further; stipulating that the “Bicycle Rider” and “Iron Horse”-sections once existed as a single-piece. Of course; this must have been an early-idea that was ditched in favour of having the two songs as being separate; hence why there isn’t surviving recordings or recollection of such recordings of the “East or West Indies” line. If you study the Durre Parks acetates; there is an acetate that goes from “Who Ran The Iron Horse?,” to “Bicycle Rider,” to the verse of “Heroes and Villains.” My conclusions that these pieces were related more than previously thought could be heavily deviated from truth, but I’m basing such conclusions from factual-information (the Vosse piece, lyric-drafts, acetate-edits). By the way, how was a connect between “Do You Like Worms” to “Holidays” even established?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 10:17:25 AM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2017, 11:28:25 AM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:16:48 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
zavarov
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2017, 02:18:30 AM »

Hi Brian.
I come from the future, listen to this, just one time.
Then i will disappear Smiley

https://youtu.be/nwCdeF0RzSI
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2017, 07:14:51 AM »

Hi Brian.

Great work!
Uncle Walter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2017, 09:26:30 AM »

Hi Brian.

That transition into Worms is awesome! Great work!!
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2017, 10:48:19 AM »

Hi Brian.

I LOVE the outro, great work man!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
zavarov
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2017, 12:17:11 PM »

Thanks!! Smiley
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 12:19:16 PM by zavarov » Logged
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2017, 04:34:37 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:16:43 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2017, 05:49:15 PM »

Here's my new and improved sequence.
Side One-
1.   Good Vibrations
2.   Cabin Essence
3.   Do You Like Worms
4.   Heroes and Villains
5.   The Elements
6.   I’m In Great Shape
7.   Vega-Tables
Side Two-
8.   Holidays
9.   Wind Chimes
10.   Wonderful
11.   I Ran
12.   Child is The Father of The Man
13.   Surf’s Up
This track sequence or template intends to present the material recorded for the Beach Boys’ tentative “Smile” project from mid to late 1966 as a two-movement suite that was hinted by the project’s leader Brian Wilson in a 2004 interview.
This track sequence considers musical flow from one track to the next, collaborator Van Dyke Parks’ lyrics, artist Frank Holmes’ period artwork intended for the project, vintage acetate discs and tapes that consisted of arrangements of fragments meant to join as a song or tentative track compilations, Michael Vosse’s articles about “Smile” from 1966-67, some of The Beach Boys’ later musical output from 1967 and later that drew inspiration or borrowed from the discarded project (emphasis on “Smiley Smile”), Jules Siegel’s 1967 article written about “Smile,” Michael Vosse’s recollections about the project from a 1968 interview, Darian Sahanaja’s recollections about Brian Wilson’s original ideas for the project when working with Wilson in 2004, and Van Dyke Parks’ recollections about the project from interviews.
A note about “Heroes and Villains”: opens with the section: “Introduction,” commonly referred to as: “Chimes.” After the first two verses; segues to the section: “I’m In Great Shape…” followed by sections: “My Children Were Raised…” “At Three Score & Five…” respectively. Acapella barbershop vocals follow to the section: “Barnyard,” segueing to and finally ending on the section: “The Old Master Painter.”
« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 05:50:12 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2017, 06:05:51 PM »

Hi Brian.

I've had to listen to it twice to process it... It's simply unbelievable. I could vividly imagine Paul McCartney trembling uncontrollably due to the sheer amazement of something like this being released in 1967.
peerke
Smiley Smile Associate

Pom-pi-dom-pi-dom

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2017, 11:59:31 PM »

Hi Brian.

Simply excellent. Congrats!
zosobird
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2017, 08:15:43 AM »

Thanks a lot!

Maybe it was a strictly harmonic decision to change "often wise" to "wise" but the effect of each is so different they seem purpose written.  The former is glaringly unresolved and the latter is perfectly resolved. 

After reading Brian's "Smog" explanation for SMiLE I got it in my head that it was supposed to be a very simple/not hard to grasp presentation of the facts...so what would be obvious/logical?

I put dada/child/father/old master together based on simple chronology but found that there was a deeper meaning created by doing so. 

Love to Say Dada.  Who says that?  A baby.  What is water?  The essential element for life.  What would come next after a baby?  A child which becomes a man.  And learning about the W.Wordsworth poem and it's celebration of nature it made sense following The Elements.   And what would follow a baby/child/man.....the old master painter....and yet the lyrics celebrating God and nature AREN'T sung.  He DIDN"T present his masterpiece and SMiLE down from heaven on that WONDERFUL day.  Instead he sang "You we're my sunshine".  Are you getting Brian's message? 

Isn't there a quote somewhere where Brian says that in the 66/67 version of SMiLE  OMP was the grand finale?

The theory of this being a "grand fanale" of sorts comes from two places afaik...
1) The Feb '67 H&V single mix had the OMP tag at the end
2) The handwritten SMiLE tracking list had OMP at the end in parenthesis
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2017, 06:32:40 PM »

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
Heroes and Villains Part 2
I'm In Great Shape
Barnyard
He Gives Speeches
Do You Like Worms?
Tones
Three Blind Mice
The Old Master Painter-You Were My Sunshine
Cabinessence
Bicycle Rider
Wonderful
Look
Teeter-Totter Love
My Little Red Book
I Don't Know
Child Is The Father Of The Man
Holidays
With Me Tonight
Indian Wisdom
Good Vibrations
Vega-Tables
Wind Chimes
Mrs. O'Leary's Cow
I Wanna Be Around-Workshop
Cool Cool Water-I Love To Say Da Da
Surf's Up
You're Welcome

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2017, 03:06:15 PM »

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
I'm In Great Shape
Barnyard
He Gives Speeches
Do You Like Worms?
Tones
Three Blind Mice
Cabinessence
Bicycle Rider
Wonderful
Look
Teeter-Totter Love
My Little Red Book
I Don't Know
Holidays
With Me Tonight
Indian Wisdom
Good Vibrations
Vega-Tables
Wind Chimes
Mrs. O'Leary's Cow
Surf's Up
You're Welcome

That's pretty lengthy, although at the same time very thorough and covers a wide range of music that was recorded during or after the sessions for the album into an enjoyable list.
Bissonic
Smiley Smile Newbie

Smile is all you need, love helps too

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2017, 09:39:36 AM »

Moine, just for yuks:

SMiLe

1. (Prayer/Gee) HEROES AND VILLAINS
2. DO YOU LIKE WORMS
3. I'M IN GREAT SHAPE
(The Barnyard Suite: I'm In Great Shape/Barnyard/Three Blind Mice/Whistle In)
4. THE OLD MASTER PAINTER
5. CABIN ESSENCE
6. WONDERFUL

7. (Look) CHILD IS FATHER OF THE MAN
8. SURF'S UP
9. VEGA-TABLES
10. (Holidays) WIND CHIMES
11. THE ELEMENTS
(The Elements Suite: Air; Country Air/Fire; Mrs O'Leary's Cow/Earth; I Wanna Be Around-Workshop/Water; I Love To Say Da Da)
12. GOOD VIBRATIONS

"I wish I was more attractive like Dagless...still one can only dream..."
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2017, 03:10:44 PM »

Moine, just for yuks:

SMiLe

1. (Prayer/Gee) HEROES AND VILLAINS
2. DO YOU LIKE WORMS
3. I'M IN GREAT SHAPE
(The Barnyard Suite: I'm In Great Shape/Barnyard/Three Blind Mice/Whistle In)
4. THE OLD MASTER PAINTER
5. CABIN ESSENCE
6. WONDERFUL

7. (Look) CHILD IS FATHER OF THE MAN
8. SURF'S UP
9. VEGA-TABLES
10. (Holidays) WIND CHIMES
11. THE ELEMENTS
(The Elements Suite: Air; Country Air/Fire; Mrs O'Leary's Cow/Earth; I Wanna Be Around-Workshop/Water; I Love To Say Da Da)
12. GOOD VIBRATIONS

I love how you used “Country Air” as a part of “The Elements.”
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2017, 03:15:07 PM »

I feel confident in this template, but am wondering where to place four other songs in the blank space provided:

1. Good Vibrations
2. —
3. —
4. Do You Like Worms
5. Heroes and Villains
6. The Old Master Painter

7. The Elements
8. I’m In Great Shape
9. Vega-Tables
10. —
11. —
12. Surf’s Up

The four remaining tracks are “Wonderful,” “Child is The Father of The Man,” “Cabin Essence,” and “Wind Chimes.”
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 03:16:12 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2017, 11:41:38 AM »

I feel confident in this template, but am wondering where to place four other songs in the blank space provided:

1. Good Vibrations
2. —
3. —
4. Do You Like Worms
5. Heroes and Villains
6. The Old Master Painter

7. The Elements
8. I’m In Great Shape
9. Vega-Tables
10. —
11. —
12. Surf’s Up

The four remaining tracks are “Wonderful,” “Child is The Father of The Man,” “Cabin Essence,” and “Wind Chimes.”

Me personally, I'd put "Wind Chimes" after "Good Vibrations", with "Cabin-Essence" following afterwards. As for Side Two, I'd go with Wonderful-Child is Father of the Man-Surf's Up, just to keep in spirit with that "Cycle of Life" theme!

I'm sure I've talked about my version of Smile here before, but since I'm writing this post while bored out of my mind in my Listening to Music class, I guess I'll just be posting it again!

SIDE A:
1. Our Prayer/Gee
2. Heroes and Villains
3. Do You Like Worms?
4. Wonderful
5. I'm in Great Shape/Barnyard/My Only Sunshine
6. Cabin-Essence
SIDE B:
1. Good Vibrations
2. Vega-Tables
3. Wind Chimes
4. Mrs. O'Leary's Cow
5. Child is Father of the Man
6. Surf's Up
7. You're Welcome (Hidden track)

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
MaestroDavros
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2017, 04:37:11 PM »

My current SMiLE sequence is kind of a "what if Jan '67" list, factoring in the new importance of the Heroes And Villains single. Even though it was unlikely to have an "Americana" side and an "Elementals" side it wasn't unheard of at the time for albums to have themed sides so I've stuck with that. Granted, I'm using elements from post SMiLE, but I once heard a mix years ago (now gone as it was deleted from YouTube) that exclusively used pre '67 material and, although fascinating, I found it to be quite bare-bones. Still working on the finishing touches but right now it looks something like this:

Side 1: Americana

Our Prayer (Unlisted)

1. Heroes And Villains
2. Do You Like Worms?
3. Wonderful
4. Child Is Father Of The Man
5. The Old Master Painter / My Only Sunshine
6. Cabin Essence

Side 2: The Elementals

1. Good Vibrations
2. I'm In Great Shape
3. Vega-Tables
4. The Elements
a). Fire (Mrs. O'Leary's Cow)
b). Earth (I Wanna Be Around / Workshop)
c). Water (WH Water Chant, Dec '66 Dada piano pieces)
d). Air (Smog, Breathing Sounds, Wind Chimes V2 Tag)
5. Wind Chimes
6. Surf's Up

You're Welcome (Unlisted)

There we go; 2 sides, 12 songs, most having fadeouts. I'll report back once I'm done with a track-by-track breakdown.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 04:38:41 PM by MaestroDavros » Logged
The Old Master Painter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2017, 05:36:12 PM »

My current SMiLE sequence is kind of a "what if Jan '67" list, factoring in the new importance of the Heroes And Villains single. Even though it was unlikely to have an "Americana" side and an "Elementals" side it wasn't unheard of at the time for albums to have themed sides so I've stuck with that. Granted, I'm using elements from post SMiLE, but I once heard a mix years ago (now gone as it was deleted from YouTube) that exclusively used pre '67 material and, although fascinating, I found it to be quite bare-bones. Still working on the finishing touches but right now it looks something like this:

Side 1: Americana

Our Prayer (Unlisted)

1. Heroes And Villains
2. Do You Like Worms?
3. Wonderful
4. Child Is Father Of The Man
5. The Old Master Painter / My Only Sunshine
6. Cabin Essence

Side 2: The Elementals

1. Good Vibrations
2. I'm In Great Shape
3. Vega-Tables
4. The Elements
a). Fire (Mrs. O'Leary's Cow)
b). Earth (I Wanna Be Around / Workshop)
c). Water (WH Water Chant, Dec '66 Dada piano pieces)
d). Air (Smog, Breathing Sounds, Wind Chimes V2 Tag)
5. Wind Chimes
6. Surf's Up

You're Welcome (Unlisted)

There we go; 2 sides, 12 songs, most having fadeouts. I'll report back once I'm done with a track-by-track breakdown.

I like your track sequence, especially the first side.

I would like to use this opportunity to explain some 'Smile' observations:

"The Old Master Painter" was implied by Michael Vosse in 1968 to have once been connected to "The Woodshed Song," (thematically or musically; that is up for debate). This detail branched from a discussion about "Heroes and Villains."

I am not sure if this counts, but Frank Holmes' recent artwork for "Wonderful" (completed in the 2000s) includes a cabin among other references to the lyrics of "Wonderful," possibly implying a thematic connection between the songs "Cabin Essence" and "Wonderful."

"Cabin Essence" and "Do You Like Worms" have long been correlated, by Michael Vosse, by Jules Siegel, by Tom Nolan. There even exist edits found on acetate discs (refer to the Durrie Parks acetate disc collection) that combine the two songs, and also the intro to "Heroes and Villains." We know that "Do You Like Worms" and "Heroes and Villains" were connected (January '67: "Bridge to The Indians," "Bicycle Rider vocal overdubs." February '67: "Heroes and Villains: Chorus." June '67: "Heroes and Villains: Chorus (vocals overdubs, incorporating lyrics of "Do You Like Worms.))

I am not sure if the '66 piano arrangement of "Da-Da" would have likely been the 'water' section to the planned 'elements suite' in 1966. If anything, it fits Brian Wilson's recollections of the 'air' section of the 'elements suite' in 1978. Either way, who knows definitively? Not even Wilson does (in present day).

Of course, there are Carol Kaye's remarks during a recording session for 'The Woodshed Song' possibly suggesting that the song was meant to follow "the fire." Those comments might have also been about how the sessions for "The Elements - Part One (Fire)" preceded the sessions for "The Woodshed Song."

"Holidays" *might* (I repeat, MIGHT) have been an earlier reworking of "Da-Da." Sounds strange, right? Some might have stopped reading this already. I suggest listening to the chord progression of the choruses of "Holidays," and then the chord progression of "Da-Da."

"Child is The Father of The Man" (the group vocal performance that was recorded with a sole piano accompaniment in April, '67) shares the same chord progression (and chords) with the few last seconds played by The Wrecking Crew after the tracking of "Love to Say Da-Da: Part Two."

The same chord progression (using the same chords) was being demonstrated and recorded on piano by Wilson during a post-'Smile' 1967 session for "Cool, Cool Water."

What does all this prove? Not much!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 05:43:17 PM by The Old Master Painter » Logged
Very Extremely Dan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2017, 09:58:08 PM »

I think ALL THIS PROVES that SMiLE was to be an incredibly deep concept album that told a coherent story through repeated musical/conceptual/lyrical/visual symbolism.   

For example the classic archetype of "Boy meets Girl" in "Good Vibrations" is retold in "Heroes and Villains" and retold in "Wonderful" from the girl's perspective.  Who is this girl?  Mother Nature?  A Flower girl?  Eve?  Pocahontas?   Lady Liberty?  Brian's muse?  She's all of these things!  Who is this boy?  A western outlaw?  A Mayflower Pilgrim?  An Okie heading to California to pick vegetables?  The Old Paster Painter of the great American landscape?  He is all these things...and Brian too!   "Do You Like Worms" is Boy meets Girl retold as "Native American Garden of Eden meets Manifest Destiny".   Imagery and ideas,  particularly (en)light(enment) and air, appear and reappear through out Brian and Van's songs and Frank Holmes art.  It is all one!

To that end I agree that one can hear in those instances how Brian was exploring the musical connections between CIFOTM and Dada.  If Dada is the first word of a baby and represents water the source of all life, it makes sense to connect it with "Child is Father to the Man"  a song about the spiritually rejuvenating properties of nature.  Then, following the cycle of life from baby to child to man who's next?  The Old Master Painter who created this beautiful world.....only he doesn't sing his song.  He sings "you we're my sunshine"....and that's Brian's enlightening message:  That mother nature is in danger but we can change course and get back to the garden.  "Got to keep those good vibrations happening with her" !!!

Here's another theory.  Why did Brian use the Crow's "Gee" in "Heroes and Villains" and also try to interpolate Etta James' "The Wallflower (Roll with Me Henry)" into "Wonderful" ?  Boy meets Girl!

From Wikipedia:  "Gee", released in June 1953 by The Crows, is a song which has been credited as the first rock and roll hit by a rock and roll group.  And what is widely recognized as the first rock and roll hit by a female artist?  You guessed it Etta James'  "The Wallflower".

If you've read this far, THANKS!.....and please allow me to conduct a poll:

My organizing principal for SMiLE has always been that it is literally a chronological history of America told in flashback by the protagonist from Heroes and Villains:  from the Native American Garden of Eden meeting the Pilgrims, thru the Industrial Revolution and Great Western Migration up to the environmentally/spiritually broken war machine Brian and Van were surveying from the sandbox in '66 as Carl's Vietnam draft notice showed up in the mail.  Ahem....

So, the album begins with Prayer, then we meet our first protagonist in Heroes and Villains who quickly flashes back to tell us his story.  Now,  going strictly chronologically I've always put "Wonderful" next to begin in Native America (she belongs there left with her liberty).  Her beautiful final fleeting notes are then rudely crashed in upon by the first British Invasion at Plymouth Rock of "Do You Like Worms". 

But it's dawned on me that for the listener to recognize that the album is specifically about America it might be more immediately understood as such if  "Heroes and Villains" is followed by "Do You Like Worms".  The lyrics are more specifically about America than "Wonderful" and its variant of Brian's message "Heroes and villains just see what you've done to the church of the American Indian" is stated more explicitly.  Followed by "Wonderful" it's as if it sets the stage (from Plymouth Rock to Hawaii) for the story we are about to hear about a boy bumping into a girl......

Well, I can't decide.  They both work on paper, but if you were hearing the Beach Boys new album for the first time in the Spring of 1967 which sequence  do you think would make the America connection most explicit?--

Heroes and Villains Pt. 1/ Wonderful/ Do You Like Worms

or

Heroes and Villains Pt.1/Do You Like Worms/Wonderful

Thanks in advance!!!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2017, 01:52:51 AM »

Our Prayer
Heroes and Villains
I'm In Great Shape
Barnyard
He Gives Speeches
Do You Like Worms?
Tones
Three Blind Mice
Cabinessence
Bicycle Rider
Wonderful
Look
Teeter-Totter Love
My Little Red Book
I Don't Know
Holidays
With Me Tonight
Indian Wisdom
Good Vibrations
Vega-Tables
Wind Chimes
Mrs. O'Leary's Cow
Surf's Up
You're Welcome

That's pretty lengthy, although at the same time very thorough and covers a wide range of music that was recorded during or after the sessions for the album into an enjoyable list.

I think I'm going to edit together a new SMiLE mix now. Haven't really done one in about 10 years, and that one was super crazy.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx