gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:15:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fred Vail  (Read 4754 times)
windchimes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 09, 2006, 09:29:31 AM »

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/8/22012470044.jpg&s=f10
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/8/22012450565.jpg&s=f10

Ok, so I was in Nashville this past weekend, and I found this copy of Surfin Safari. The neat thing is, it seems that Fred Vail signed the back for a girl named Tina in 1984.  Fred Vail was a beach boy guy correct? Like a manager or something? Any help would be great! Thanks

« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 10:08:57 AM by windchimes » Logged
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 09:37:59 AM »

??

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
windchimes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 09:40:32 AM »

sorry
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 10:09:36 AM by windchimes » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 10:28:40 AM »

he was a promoter, and a close friend.  that's him you hear at the begining of the Beach Boys Concert album...if i remember correctly, him and Denny were close

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 10:32:59 AM »

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/8/22012470044.jpg&s=f10
http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=main/8/22012450565.jpg&s=f10

Ok, so I was in Nashville this past weekend, and I found this copy of Surfin Safari. The neat thing is, it seems that Fred Vail signed the back for a girl named Tina in 1984.  Fred Vail was a beach boy guy correct? Like a manager or something? Any help would be great! Thanks

Fred was the Beach Boys first dedicated "promoter" in '63 and later became part of their management in '70. He lives in Nashville and has since the early '80's. He helps run a studio there called Treasure Isle recorders. Fred's a great guy and has been a wonderful friend to the Beach Boys.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 11:41:11 AM »

And Brian recorded songs for a country album with him in 1970, although I think only 5 or 6 actually vocals cut.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 01:43:48 PM »

Fred was up on the Capitol roof with the boys last month, too; he's visible on the far right of one of those archived photos.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 02:27:28 PM »

Fred was up on the Capitol roof with the boys last month, too; he's visible on the far right of one of those archived photos.

You're right... I took that photo.
windchimes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2006, 02:32:57 PM »

Wow, thats great! Thanks a lot guys!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006, 05:28:13 PM »

the 1970 album was to be called Cows in the Pasture  (i believe) i'll see if i can dig up a track listing...pretty sure it was just brian produced/fred sang.....man, brian was so involved outisde of the boys in the early 70s..

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
windchimes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006, 06:36:05 PM »

This is so cool! What made Brian want to do a country album? If you take a look at the pic thread, there is a pic of the boys in western garb, it is easily now one of my top5 BB pics.

Also, later on, Carl started wearing those western cowboy shirts, very interesting.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 12:00:07 PM »

Cows In The Pasture[/i]
recorded April 4th-17th 1970
produced by Brian Wilson
Bethany Ann* - There's Always Something There To Remind Me* - Kittens, Kids & Kites - Lucky Billy - Black Man In Georgia - One Woman Won't Hold Me - Why Don't You Give Her To Me - If You're Not Loving, You're Not Living - All For The Love Of A Girl* - Only The Lonely* - Carolina On My Mind - My Way Of Life - A Fool Such As I* - You Pass Me By - I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You
[titles noted * had vocals recorded; track sequence unknown]

Fred Vail's connection with The Beach Boys began as a teenager in May 1963 when he staged a show in Sacramento, and continued as their promoter until they severed links amid some acrimony in the mid-seventies (although he remained especially close to Dennis). Exactly why Brian decided to embark on this particular project - a country album - just as the band were commencing the sessions that would result in Surf's Up[/b] is yet another minor BB mystery (unless, of course, Brian was making an oblique point; however it's more likely that he was merely doing a favor a friend). At five sessions over the course of two spring weeks, Brian produced tracks for the fifteen titles listed above, using such country luminaries as Glen D. Hardin, Buddy Emmons, Red Rhodes & James Burton.  As might have been expected, Brian then lost interest in the project, but not before vocals had been recorded for five songs. For pretty well all its known existance, the album was simply referred to as "Fred Vail's country album", but Kurt Ackerman recalls Bruce giving it this title at a Carnegie Hall gig just before he left the band. However, when questioned directly, Fred himself stated that the album had no title.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2006, 07:51:31 AM »

nobody does it better than AGD

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2006, 08:58:25 AM »

Oh, I don't know...

Grin
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2006, 09:52:39 AM »

I'll be joining Fred for some BB's related chat on the radio on this Monday night....

Island Time-the Radio Show is heard on WBWC 88.3 FM in the Cleveland,Ohio area. You can also hear us worldwide on the web at : wbwc.com
The show is hosted by Dennis King (DK the DJ).

AUGUST 14- Annual BEACH BOYS SPECIAL!!

Original Beach Boys manager Fred Vail & noted Beach Boys author Jon Stebbins will be our special live phone guests!

We'll have more free tickets for the Beach Boys show on August 17th show @ Cain Park!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx