gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:38:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2017 copyright extension release details?  (Read 39085 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 11, 2017, 12:39:16 PM »

One thing that has always bugged me is the fact that the group didn't seem to take their concert performances seriously in the 60's. Sure, they had some great moments. and were a great live group when they wanted to be. But if you listen to the "A Vocal Element" bootleg, somebody is always laughing or making a joke, or even talking during a song. It seems like they didn't really become a serious concert act until Blondie and Ricky joined the group.

I personally find most of their 60s live work unlistenable.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 11, 2017, 12:40:18 PM »

They lost a step when BW left the road....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: December 11, 2017, 01:33:03 PM »

One thing that has always bugged me is the fact that the group didn't seem to take their concert performances seriously in the 60's. Sure, they had some great moments. and were a great live group when they wanted to be. But if you listen to the "A Vocal Element" bootleg, somebody is always laughing or making a joke, or even talking during a song. It seems like they didn't really become a serious concert act until Blondie and Ricky joined the group.

YES! Used to drive me nuts, in regards to the dialog...made the band appear cheesy which they weren't. Mike was bad at this, but Bruce circa 1970 was too (in one boot, you can hear some members of the audience say derogatory things at the stage while he is speaking because of this)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 11, 2017, 01:45:09 PM »

YES! Used to drive me nuts, in regards to the dialog...made the band appear cheesy which they weren't. Mike was bad at this, but Bruce circa 1970 was too (in one boot, you can hear some members of the audience say derogatory things at the stage while he is speaking because of this)

I wonder if it was originally based out of lack of full self-confidence by Mike in the early years, and this just rubbed off on guys like Bruce around this time that the band would have more reason to be less confident, being their then lack of popularity.  The goofiness and hokey banter just feels like misguided overcompensation or something.
Pet Sounder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2017, 09:22:52 AM »

Mark and Alan - thank you so much for helping get these releases out!  I can't enough of backing tracks, sessions and vocal tracks.  This was a much appreciated Christmas gift!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2017, 02:01:11 PM »

I wonder if it was originally based out of lack of full self-confidence by Mike in the early years, and this just rubbed off on guys like Bruce around this time that the band would have more reason to be less confident, being their then lack of popularity.  The goofiness and hokey banter just feels like misguided overcompensation or something.

Possibly.  Bruce's problem was that he'd ramble "on and on and on" like he was a track from Looking Back with Love. One boot I heard, he was droning on aND somebody yelled out "Tears in the morning,  ya jerk" or something like that

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 16, 2017, 07:37:39 AM »

I can't stop listening to the outttake of good news, I just wish Al's voice was a bit louder on it!! I've tried to isolate it and to bring it up but have had no luck. Anyone else tried this yet?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: December 16, 2017, 07:50:22 AM »

Possibly.  Bruce's problem was that he'd ramble "on and on and on" like he was a track from Looking Back with Love. One boot I heard, he was droning on aND somebody yelled out "Tears in the morning,  ya jerk" or something like that

I recall it as "Tears in the morning, BRUCE". I believe it was the November '71 show at Princeton.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 16, 2017, 12:36:06 PM »

I love the stripped-down California Girls. Mike's vocal is lovely, so relaxed and intimate. Almost sounds like a missing link between CG and Big Sur.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2017, 09:19:41 AM »

The Beach Boys occasionally can be heard on recordings defending each other and/or themselves against impatient audience members.

You can just *feel* the audience getting restless during Bruce's performance of "Your Song" on the Fillmore East '71 recording. Bad pick for that particular gig, that's for sure. "Hey, we're gonna do only about a dozen songs on the bill with the Grateful Dead! Let's have Bruce do a solo rendition of "Your Song!"

I think there's another show from the 70s where Mike tries to relatively politely let the audience know that they're going to do the "old stuff" too but to give them a break while they do newer stuff.

I think it's the Nassau Coliseum '79 recording where evidently someone was screaming out for "409" (which hadn't been in the setlist in quite a long time), and Mike leads the band into a quick bit of the song, then stops and Mike says something like "there, now shut up!" half-jokingly. Ironically, within a few years the song actually *was* put back into the setlist.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:20:45 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
The_Beach
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 21, 2017, 08:57:57 AM »

These two new compilations are awesome! I want to thank everyone that put them together! Your work is great. Thank you for giving this gift to the collectors! Love getting to finally hear Good News even if it is not much!

Does anyone have any backing info on Tune L it is really good almost has a sound like Jimmy Hendrix.
ohthosegirls
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 21, 2017, 03:28:53 PM »

Tune L sounds like an early "California Slide" to me. But that just might be Dennis Wilson's style. Some people on YT are saying it sounds like Sgt Peppers intro.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: December 21, 2017, 03:55:24 PM »

I recall it as "Tears in the morning, BRUCE". I believe it was the November '71 show at Princeton.

I'll have to relisten but I remember a discussion about this on the old wheeler board. Hadn't hear this particular clip in many years;tape is somewhere in storage.  The fan sounded annoyed/drunk,  I do remember that much

Justin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 22, 2018, 10:59:17 AM »

That's the thing that stood out to me too while listening to this set.  Each performance is littered with at least one member goofing around and throwing off the performance.  Listening to the recordings now it is as if the band had no qualms if the audience heard them at all.  I can see this behavior making sense with The Beatles because the room was filled with one continuous roar of screams thereby drowning out the music completely---but here?  The crowd at the BB shows are for the most part (save the one or two weird 'screams" here and there) are quiet and attentive.  Was this just the band's awkward way of handling being nervous on stage by making it all one big joke? 

On the flip side of all this, I found the live recordings to be quiet an eye opener.  Fascinating to hear them translate these intricate compositions down to a 5-6 piece arrangement.  Their garage band roots coming through very well.  Pretty much each performance of "Graduation Day" is a good listen.  It seemed like the only song they kind of respected in the set.  By the way, who played the rhythm guitar on that?  Carl or Al?  I'd say Carl...?   Also on a few performances, there was nice tickling of the ivories by Daryl Dragon, I think?

Funny to listen to the various performances of "Barbara Ann" as well.  The bit "tried Mary Lou...tried Al Jardine" had apparently run its course by the end of the tour.  It got a big guffaw early on but by the end I think you can clearly hear Al say "Aw, come on!" after Mike does it again. 

Gettin Hungry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 22, 2018, 12:23:41 PM »

I found myself listening and thinking, "Just shut up and play already!" Several, several times. I can't imagine how I would have felt if I were actually in the audience for one of these shows. You can see why Lei'd in Hawaii was abandoned, because a lot of the goofing off can't even be edited out to come up with solid performance.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx