gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:46:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 272465 times)
Clinton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: December 14, 2018, 12:39:31 PM »

From Carnie's IG

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrW1irjHtDI/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: December 14, 2018, 09:58:49 PM »

Kokomo for Brian's last show LOL I would love to see that band cover 'Summer of Love' as a joke. That thought got me thinking about Brian's last shows...

My ideal vision for Brian's final tour:

Brian's Rock&Roll album is completed, original name of the album Pleasure Island is used for the final title. On it are covers of his favorite rock and roll songs (the songs that really spoke to him during his most creative times), also on it are some killer originals that he, Al, and Blondie wrote together on tour. Also, the album comes with a bonus EP of an 8 minute finished version of 'Can't Wait Too Long'. But onto the concerts:

The concerts would start with a crazy dark auditorium, and stage is completely dark. You hear Ding Dang faintly and people stop talking as the music gets louder and louder. Brian walks out on stage, walks to his piano and joins in on the song. 4 minutes of Ding Dang that just get more epic with each loop, the Moog is loud as hell, Blondie starts shredding on his guitar, Al joins in with the singing. With absolutely no break, the band dives right into 'God Please Let Us Go On This Way'.

So the final tour would consist of songs from Pleasure Island, a mass of Love You songs, Moog synth accompanies any classic Beach Boys tune. The concession stands sell beer but also steak and cake. Brian's favorite deli would go on the tour and cater for the band. Also, Brian would sit in his leather recliner during the songs he doesn't sing lead on.

It would be a party Rock! w00t! Drinking Buddies! Who gives a hoot if Brian's voice isn't perfect that night? He is up there having a blast because these are the songs he wants to perform for the masses.

Oh I hope such a tour will happen.
You have just put into words my vision of hell.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1077 on: December 15, 2018, 12:34:52 AM »

My vision of hell would be Van Dyke Parks singing the Hoobastank songbook with Jeff Beck in the background. Not playing guitar, just standing there for the hell of it. Oh and there’s a meet and greet beforehand and they have a bet on which one of them can be the biggest asshole.

Spoiler alert: they tie

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: December 15, 2018, 09:55:16 PM »

As much as we knock Kokomo, BW's band can play a damn good version of it, as the reunion tour showed.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
BRI1035
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: December 17, 2018, 02:31:33 PM »

I was also at the Hollywood show and it was fantastic! Was a thrill to hear Winter Symphony- Al sang it exactly as Brian did and Brian joined in nicely. Brian sang best on his solo Christmas songs. Blondie's voice is phenomenal and his eccentric humor is great. Unfortunately somebody in the audience kept yelling "Beach Boys!"

Unfortunately I was sitting directly in front of the guy who kept yelling "Beach Boys!"  (The irony that he was screaming for BEACH BOYS songs during performances from the BEACH BOYS Christmas Album was not lost on me).  He was not a Brian fan, and he and his entourage had received comp tickets to the show.  Clearly whoever gave them the tickets had not briefed them on the content of the show.

They were trying hard to fill the house for this show.  I received several "Buy One Get One Free" offers via email in the week leading up to the concert - however, I was so excited to see this show, I had already gotten my tickets the day they went on sale.  Even with the BOGO offer, they sadly still had to drape off several rows in the upper far corners of the theater.

This was my third time seeing Brian live after NPP in 2015, and PS in 2016.  I have to say that despite my excitement when the show was announced, I almost didn't go based on a lot of the feedback I saw on this board.  I didn't want to be disappointed.  In the end, I did go.  To see Al, to see Blondie, to hear the band, and ultimately - to support Brian.  I am glad I went.  I figured maybe he had been having some "off" nights, and perhaps I'd catch him on an "on" night.

Well, it was an "off" night in my opinion.  As has already been metioned, he was struggling with vocals (as compared to when I saw him in 2015/2016) , and sat totally still at the piano when not singing his lead lines.  He did not sing backgrounds, and he did not play the piano*.  I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but in Hollywood, they actually attached a drape to the bottom of Brian's piano.  Presumably this was to keep the audience from seeing his largley motionless hands by his side throughout the performance.

As I said - I am glad I went.  The chance to see this rarely-performed music live is something not to be missed.  Al and Blondie are phenomenal, and it goes without saying - the band is sensational.  But something happened during the non-Christmas set that I had been waiting for all night.  Just like flipping a switch, Brian seemed to come to life.  *It was actually during "Help Me Rhonda" that Brian starting playing piano, and he played on every song for the rest of the show (minus the final two Christmas songs).  This was after literally not touching the piano for the entirety of the performance until that point.  All of a sudden, he seemed engaged, was looking around the audience, moving his head to the music, and I even saw the faint hint of a smile!  He still didn't sing any backgrounds but there were moments in "Surfin' USA" and "Fun, Fun, Fun" that he opened his mouth to sing lines that Al has since taken over from him at recent shows.  (Al sang over him, so Brian didn't quite re-take those vocals).

For all the ire that the traditional "encore songs" sometimes generate on this board, I was thankful to see Rhonda / Barbara Ann / Surfin' USA / Fun, Fun, Fun performed in Hollywood last week, because those were the songs that gave me hope that Brian was indeed present and quite possibly still enjoying these live performances.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1080 on: December 17, 2018, 03:49:31 PM »

I was also at the Hollywood show and it was fantastic! Was a thrill to hear Winter Symphony- Al sang it exactly as Brian did and Brian joined in nicely. Brian sang best on his solo Christmas songs. Blondie's voice is phenomenal and his eccentric humor is great. Unfortunately somebody in the audience kept yelling "Beach Boys!"

Unfortunately I was sitting directly in front of the guy who kept yelling "Beach Boys!"  (The irony that he was screaming for BEACH BOYS songs during performances from the BEACH BOYS Christmas Album was not lost on me).  He was not a Brian fan, and he and his entourage had received comp tickets to the show.  Clearly whoever gave them the tickets had not briefed them on the content of the show.

They were trying hard to fill the house for this show.  I received several "Buy One Get One Free" offers via email in the week leading up to the concert - however, I was so excited to see this show, I had already gotten my tickets the day they went on sale.  Even with the BOGO offer, they sadly still had to drape off several rows in the upper far corners of the theater.

This was my third time seeing Brian live after NPP in 2015, and PS in 2016.  I have to say that despite my excitement when the show was announced, I almost didn't go based on a lot of the feedback I saw on this board.  I didn't want to be disappointed.  In the end, I did go.  To see Al, to see Blondie, to hear the band, and ultimately - to support Brian.  I am glad I went.  I figured maybe he had been having some "off" nights, and perhaps I'd catch him on an "on" night.

Well, it was an "off" night in my opinion.  As has already been metioned, he was struggling with vocals (as compared to when I saw him in 2015/2016) , and sat totally still at the piano when not singing his lead lines.  He did not sing backgrounds, and he did not play the piano*.  I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned, but in Hollywood, they actually attached a drape to the bottom of Brian's piano.  Presumably this was to keep the audience from seeing his largley motionless hands by his side throughout the performance.

As I said - I am glad I went.  The chance to see this rarely-performed music live is something not to be missed.  Al and Blondie are phenomenal, and it goes without saying - the band is sensational.  But something happened during the non-Christmas set that I had been waiting for all night.  Just like flipping a switch, Brian seemed to come to life.  *It was actually during "Help Me Rhonda" that Brian starting playing piano, and he played on every song for the rest of the show (minus the final two Christmas songs).  This was after literally not touching the piano for the entirety of the performance until that point.  All of a sudden, he seemed engaged, was looking around the audience, moving his head to the music, and I even saw the faint hint of a smile!  He still didn't sing any backgrounds but there were moments in "Surfin' USA" and "Fun, Fun, Fun" that he opened his mouth to sing lines that Al has since taken over from him at recent shows.  (Al sang over him, so Brian didn't quite re-take those vocals).

For all the ire that the traditional "encore songs" sometimes generate on this board, I was thankful to see Rhonda / Barbara Ann / Surfin' USA / Fun, Fun, Fun performed in Hollywood last week, because those were the songs that gave me hope that Brian was indeed present and quite possibly still enjoying these live performances.

Thank you for your post. It sounds like you enjoyed the show.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1081 on: December 18, 2018, 12:04:02 PM »

My wife and I went to the Rosemont, IL Pet Soundsshow last year. During intermission, we were talking to a guy who was complaining that there weren't many Beach Boy songs in the first set...and of course we were happy to point out that every single song that had been performed so far was....a Beach Boys song.

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1082 on: December 18, 2018, 12:12:28 PM »

My wife and I went to the Rosemont, IL Pet Soundsshow last year. During intermission, we were talking to a guy who was complaining that there weren't many Beach Boy songs in the first set...and of course we were happy to point out that every single song that had been performed so far was....a Beach Boys song.

+1

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
harrisonjon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: December 20, 2018, 07:16:10 AM »

Brian doesn't get enough credit for not just doing hits sets even though such sets would be greater crowd pleasers.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: December 20, 2018, 09:01:55 AM »

My vision of hell would be Van Dyke Parks singing the Hoobastank songbook with Jeff Beck in the background. Not playing guitar, just standing there for the hell of it. Oh and there’s a meet and greet beforehand and they have a bet on which one of them can be the biggest asshole.

Spoiler alert: they tie

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL (how did I miss this?)

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Tim Wilford
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: December 20, 2018, 10:03:50 AM »

Hi everyone, I went to the concert last Friday night in Dallas. I would recommend going.  It’s great to hear the Christmas album, Al is as great as ever, Blondie very entertaining.  Rob does a nice job with vocals and as always the rest of the band is just outstanding.
Brian was similar to how others have described. He has a few leads on the Christmas album but otherwise doesn’t sing. However, when they play the songs from his solo Christmas album he sings both as well as you would expect him to. Also when they switch to the Beach Boy hits he sings, plays the piano and is very engaged.
I enjoyed the show and would recommend to any Beach Boy fan with an opportunity to go.  Thanks
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1086 on: December 20, 2018, 10:05:43 AM »

lol @ OSD

Tim- Thanks for the review. So it sounds like he's feeling his solo Christmas work more than the BB Christmas album.  I can dig that.

He skipped Houston this go around...would've liked to have seen him. Had to work on his Texas stops this year any way.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1087 on: December 20, 2018, 02:25:15 PM »

Updated the top post with recent setlists.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
coco1997
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: December 22, 2018, 02:24:48 PM »

This makes my heart smile.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BrtKBHKngbD/

I know it's probably nothing but maybe a possible contender for the Rock 'n Roll album?

"I've never been to Mars, but I imagine it's quite lovely."
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: December 22, 2018, 02:33:10 PM »

I know it's probably nothing but maybe a possible contender for the Rock 'n Roll album?

Thanks so much for posting! It's great to see Brian so relaxed. Sounds like Al was about to ask whose song that was. He didn't seem too familiar with it Grin
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 02:36:07 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: December 22, 2018, 02:35:06 PM »

Just saw this on Facebook! What a great moment.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: December 22, 2018, 02:59:13 PM »

I have been watching that clip over and over. So great!

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: December 22, 2018, 03:00:08 PM »

That was sweet!

Brian did record and release that song with Andy Paley.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: December 22, 2018, 03:23:10 PM »

BW at ease! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1094 on: December 22, 2018, 04:27:25 PM »

Oh that’s nice!

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: December 22, 2018, 05:55:38 PM »

Happy Dance Happy Dance Just yeah, man.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

Gen X'er "Living in the Past"

View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: December 22, 2018, 07:12:25 PM »

Thanks so much for posting that clip! I love seeing Brian and Al just hanging out. That was a nice little stocking stuffer to go with my Christmas gift of getting to see them perform in Pittsburgh a few weeks ago.

"Star bright, star light,
Make this wish come true tonight..."
thelonelysea
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: December 22, 2018, 10:00:49 PM »

This makes me so excited for that new doc. Just love seeing Brian hang out! What a treasure. 

Also lol at that guy missing his hand at the end.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: December 22, 2018, 10:44:14 PM »

Bob Lizik, Brian’s base player.
ClassicShowsFan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: December 23, 2018, 04:28:11 PM »

What's the video about?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 Go Up Print