gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:34:09 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 272583 times)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: December 03, 2018, 02:28:48 PM »

The entire show from Saturday night is on youtube if you want to be as uncomfortable as those of us were at the venue.
https://www.youtube.com/user/nickperry74/videos

I gotta say, Brian looks somewhat more comfortable that he did in Kansas City, and he sounds pretty good. The mouth thing is bothersome, but that's our man.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: December 03, 2018, 03:33:58 PM »

I watched most of those clips and Brian doesn’t look as bad as the reviews are making him out to be . I’ve seen him worse in past years . I’m wondering if his mouth is dry . He never seems to have water during the show. The movements look like he’s trying to get saliva going . If he’s in pain meds his mouth will be drier than normal .
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: December 03, 2018, 03:47:04 PM »

I watched most of those clips and Brian doesn’t look as bad as the reviews are making him out to be . I’ve seen him worse in past years . I’m wondering if his mouth is dry . He never seems to have water during the show. The movements look like he’s trying to get saliva going . If he’s in pain meds his mouth will be drier than normal .

He was drinking tons of water when I saw him a week and a half ago.
twentytwenty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: December 03, 2018, 04:40:39 PM »

Brian W. should have hung it up a long time ago.  If he's unable to concentrate or if he's not interested, or if he's silently suffering from back pain, don't advertise a show and rip off the people that pay their money to see a concert.  I understand there are a lot of people that depend upon BW for a paycheck, but at some point you have to say enough and end it.

I would gladly pay money just to see the band with Al and Blondie tbf. Totally not a ripoff. Band sounds great and Rob sounds great (I like him more way more than Matt)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1004 on: December 04, 2018, 08:26:05 AM »

Would like to see Brian and Al try doing these kind of shows that Big Star. put on now. Just a few of them a year with lots of beach boys "disciples" playing.

Short set to include Brian if he wants. Al could stay on the whole show. Blondie could be involved too.

Darian as director.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:31:49 AM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: December 04, 2018, 07:34:14 PM »

Just came back from the NJ show.  This was my seventh time seeing Brian and I have to say this was definitely the weakest show I’ve seen them do, not that it wasn’t a good show.  The Christmas set went on too long.  I think it’s cool that they threw in some rarities from the ‘77 sessions and songs from Brian’s solo album but altogether, that’s just too many songs about the same thing.  It just got tedious after awhile and the crowd wasn’t really into it.  Brian’s son-in-law did a nice job but I hope he’s not a permanent addition to the band as Matt Jardine’s usual energy was sorely missed.  Brian sounded okay when he sang which wasn’t much.  He did barely if any backing vocals at all.  A lot of songs in the hits set that he would normally sing on were given to Al.  There is no doubt that he is in poor shape and I feel for him.  I really hope he gets better.  Otherwise, the band sounded good, Al and Blondie sounded good and it was interesting to see something a little different than their usual set, even if it didn’t work quite as well as it could have.  But I have to be honest.  I chose to see Brian tonight over seeing Lindsey Buckingham in NYC and now I kind of regret I didn’t see Lindsey instead.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1006 on: December 04, 2018, 07:50:50 PM »

I'm with you on Rob...I feel bad for saying this but I much prefer Matt.

Otherwise, well, I can't go on firsthand knowledge but the YT videos seem to confirm. Just breaks my heart.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: December 04, 2018, 08:34:03 PM »

I just got home too and I agree with the above review from Rocky Raccoon. I went into this concert with lower expectations given all the recent reviews I’ve read. I thought the show was good, and Brian was better than I thought he would be, but I’d still rate it as one of, if not the weakest performances I’ve seen from him in-person, and I’ve seen him in concert 7 times in the last 8 years and a number of times before that.

I actually like the way Rob’s voice sounds; to me he sounds more like a young Brian than Matt does. However, a major negative to his voice is the way he projects it, or more accurately doesn’t project it. Matt, Jeff Foskett, and Brian in his younger days all had powerful falsettos that they project(ed) well. Rob just doesn’t have enough power behind his voice in comparison.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 08:34:40 PM by myonlysunshine » Logged
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1008 on: December 05, 2018, 02:50:35 AM »

This is very good

Winter Symphony - https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=174&v=u6O7wzAaG4Q

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1009 on: December 05, 2018, 07:12:51 AM »

Interesting.... I figured "Winter Symphony" was probably gone for good after opening night. Glad someone managed to capture it.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1010 on: December 05, 2018, 08:18:58 AM »

I also wasn't aware that Al mainly sings "Winter Symphony." Brian is in there too, but it's mostly Al. Sounds quite good.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: December 05, 2018, 08:43:15 AM »

Wow, that rendition of Winter Symphony blew me away! One of my favorite cuts that didn't make an album. Did Al have a hand in writing it?
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: December 05, 2018, 08:50:16 AM »

Wow, that rendition of Winter Symphony blew me away! One of my favorite cuts that didn't make an album. Did Al have a hand in writing it?

I think it’s a sole Brian writing credit.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1013 on: December 05, 2018, 09:13:46 AM »

It is

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: December 05, 2018, 10:01:34 AM »

At a soundcheck a couple weeks ago, they were trying out a medley of “We Three Kings” and “Winter Symphony.” For “Winter Symphony,” Brian was on lead throughout. I thought the transition between songs worked very well. Here’s some fuzzy audio of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgSUpsCgsFw

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: December 05, 2018, 10:33:51 AM »

I think it’s a sole Brian writing credit.

I thought Diane wrote the lyrics?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1016 on: December 05, 2018, 11:52:29 AM »

Hearing Al sounds so good singing "Winter Symphony" makes me pine again for him to do a full-blown "deep cuts" show doing both his and other members' songs. His solo "Postcards" shows are great, but imagine Al fronting a full band doing "Goin' On" and "The Trader" and whatnot with he and Matt and other guys doing the leads (with Al doing as much as possible).

Al sounds great on the '77 XMas tracks.

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: December 05, 2018, 11:53:00 AM »

I just got home too and I agree with the above review from Rocky Raccoon. I went into this concert with lower expectations given all the recent reviews I’ve read. I thought the show was good, and Brian was better than I thought he would be, but I’d still rate it as one of, if not the weakest performances I’ve seen from him in-person, and I’ve seen him in concert 7 times in the last 8 years and a number of times before that.

I actually like the way Rob’s voice sounds; to me he sounds more like a young Brian than Matt does. However, a major negative to his voice is the way he projects it, or more accurately doesn’t project it. Matt, Jeff Foskett, and Brian in his younger days all had powerful falsettos that they project(ed) well. Rob just doesn’t have enough power behind his voice in comparison.

I will be going on Saturday . So not projecting is more like a Bruce falsetto, good for ooos and aaasss but not strong with words
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 11:59:18 AM by tpesky » Logged
thelonelysea
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: December 05, 2018, 12:51:21 PM »

I'm still working my way through their discography, so I had honestly never heard "Winter Symphony" til I clicked on that video. WOW!!! WOW I love it. Al and Brian both sound great and the band sounds really rich.

I liked Rob when I saw him, though he does sound tentative at times. Just maybe not 100% settled in that falsetto voice. His Wouldn't It Be Nice was pretty.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: December 05, 2018, 01:36:04 PM »

At a soundcheck a couple weeks ago, they were trying out a medley of “We Three Kings” and “Winter Symphony.” For “Winter Symphony,” Brian was on lead throughout. I thought the transition between songs worked very well. Here’s some fuzzy audio of that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgSUpsCgsFw

Thanks for posting. Brian sounds great singing the 1st verse of "Winter Symphony"!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: December 05, 2018, 03:10:28 PM »

I know Brian is having a rougher time on this tour but sit back and think how incredible it is to have Brian and Al singing Winter Symphony live in 2018.  I never could have imagined that
beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

Gen X'er "Living in the Past"

View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: December 05, 2018, 04:17:33 PM »

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. I've been a lurker for several months, and decided I wanted to become a member so I could share my thoughts on the Christmas Show. Sorry this is a few days late--I didn't realize there was a brief waiting period for registration, so it will read as though the concert was the night before. Anyway, my two cents.

I attended the Pittsburgh show last night, and in short, I left pleasantly surprised. This was my first Brian Wilson concert ever, but I felt very realistic in my expectations having read some of the earlier reviews of the Christmas tour, and, well, the fact that Mr. Wilson is 76 years old. Truthfully, compared to the clips of the show from a few days prior, I can tell you that to me, Brian seemed much more lively at the performance this evening. To my memory, yes, he sang about as often as previous posters have mentioned, but I was not disappointed when he did. I thought he sounded terrific on “Christmasey.”

Some random things I noticed:

Brian did not appear to be nearly as uncomfortable as he appeared in the clips from a few days ago. I really only saw him shift in his chair a few times, he did not have a pained expression on his face, moreover, the mouth/jaw movements (perhaps tardive dyskinesia?) he had were much milder and infrequent. I wonder if the fact that there was a full day between this show and the last one had something to do with this, meaning, maybe he got more rest and was feeling better?

Brian’s facial expression stayed fairly neutral most of the evening, but I did not get the sense that he was distracted or bored, or anything like that. On the contrary, at one point, Brian was waving his hands in the air to the music, and my spouse remarked, “I think he likes just being here.” I agreed. And there were a few times when Brian spoke, too. He thanked the audience at the end of the show, and (again, with assistance and a limp) walked off with the rest of the band when they finished singing Auld Lang Syne.

Of course, Al and Blondie were fantastic. Good night, these two can sing! Blondie is an energy guy if I ever saw one, with way he moved around the stage, played guitar and delivered his sonorous vocals. And when Al took the lead with songs like “Christmas Day” and “Help Me Rhonda” I was amazed at how well his voice has maintained its quality. Al was the emcee for the evening, although Blondie talked a bit as well, I recall him saying that he became a Steelers fan when he came to America. 

As stated by many others, the band nailed everything perfectly. And I enjoyed Rob’s leads.

Just an item of note, they did perform “Winter Symphony”, but I honestly don’t remember if they played “White Christmas.” I don’t think they did.

From where we sat, Heinz Hall appeared to be about two-thirds to possibly three-quarters full. Most of the attendees looked to be 60+ years of age.
In the end, I am so glad I went. I am not quite out of my thirties, but most of the musicians I admire and listen to are either in their twilight years or are deceased, so, to see Brian Wilson (my favorite songwriter ever) in person, regardless of anything else, is a privilege and for me, most likely a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so I just choose to bask in the moment and hold on to the memory.

"Star bright, star light,
Make this wish come true tonight..."
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: December 05, 2018, 04:30:59 PM »

Thx so much for sharing that!
thelonelysea
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: December 05, 2018, 04:40:37 PM »

On the contrary, at one point, Brian was waving his hands in the air to the music, and my spouse remarked, “I think he likes just being here.” I agreed. And there were a few times when Brian spoke, too. He thanked the audience at the end of the show, and (again, with assistance and a limp) walked off with the rest of the band when they finished singing Auld Lang Syne.

How sweet! I completely agree with your comments. Sometimes I think the audience makeup can be a huge factor--my audience was SO HYPED and it made the show so much fun (it was a Pet Sounds show that wasn't completely sold out but pretty full). Brian sounds awesome on "Christmasey" based on the footage I've seen! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1024 on: December 05, 2018, 04:41:31 PM »

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. I've been a lurker for several months, and decided I wanted to become a member so I could share my thoughts on the Christmas Show. Sorry this is a few days late--I didn't realize there was a brief waiting period for registration, so it will read as though the concert was the night before. Anyway, my two cents.

I attended the Pittsburgh show last night, and in short, I left pleasantly surprised. This was my first Brian Wilson concert ever, but I felt very realistic in my expectations having read some of the earlier reviews of the Christmas tour, and, well, the fact that Mr. Wilson is 76 years old. Truthfully, compared to the clips of the show from a few days prior, I can tell you that to me, Brian seemed much more lively at the performance this evening. To my memory, yes, he sang about as often as previous posters have mentioned, but I was not disappointed when he did. I thought he sounded terrific on “Christmasey.”

Some random things I noticed:

Brian did not appear to be nearly as uncomfortable as he appeared in the clips from a few days ago. I really only saw him shift in his chair a few times, he did not have a pained expression on his face, moreover, the mouth/jaw movements (perhaps tardive dyskinesia?) he had were much milder and infrequent. I wonder if the fact that there was a full day between this show and the last one had something to do with this, meaning, maybe he got more rest and was feeling better?

Brian’s facial expression stayed fairly neutral most of the evening, but I did not get the sense that he was distracted or bored, or anything like that. On the contrary, at one point, Brian was waving his hands in the air to the music, and my spouse remarked, “I think he likes just being here.” I agreed. And there were a few times when Brian spoke, too. He thanked the audience at the end of the show, and (again, with assistance and a limp) walked off with the rest of the band when they finished singing Auld Lang Syne.

Of course, Al and Blondie were fantastic. Good night, these two can sing! Blondie is an energy guy if I ever saw one, with way he moved around the stage, played guitar and delivered his sonorous vocals. And when Al took the lead with songs like “Christmas Day” and “Help Me Rhonda” I was amazed at how well his voice has maintained its quality. Al was the emcee for the evening, although Blondie talked a bit as well, I recall him saying that he became a Steelers fan when he came to America.  

As stated by many others, the band nailed everything perfectly. And I enjoyed Rob’s leads.

Just an item of note, they did perform “Winter Symphony”, but I honestly don’t remember if they played “White Christmas.” I don’t think they did.

From where we sat, Heinz Hall appeared to be about two-thirds to possibly three-quarters full. Most of the attendees looked to be 60+ years of age.
In the end, I am so glad I went. I am not quite out of my thirties, but most of the musicians I admire and listen to are either in their twilight years or are deceased, so, to see Brian Wilson (my favorite songwriter ever) in person, regardless of anything else, is a privilege and for me, most likely a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, so I just choose to bask in the moment and hold on to the memory.

Welcome to the board and thanks for sharing! Glad to know he had a better night!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 [41] 42 43 44 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx