gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:09:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 272672 times)
DPW12315
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #975 on: December 02, 2018, 09:23:28 AM »

After seeing that Auld Lang Syne video, I don't even feel like seeing Brian on Wednesday night... makes me really upset to see him like that. He obviously does not want to be there. He's exhausted. I don't want this to be my final memory of Brian. I'll listen to the Live at the Roxy cd in my car, seeing him now makes me so upset. He wasn't even like this last year when he was doing Pet Sounds. I miss the Lucky Old Sun days, those were great memories for me.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 02, 2018, 01:11:57 PM »

So, no one, it seems has read Clay’s posts on the subject?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
wilsonart1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 02, 2018, 01:35:32 PM »

Mpls. show all over again.  Like I said, let this play out and see what other's think.  Still a fun show,  but hard on the Holiday Joy!
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #978 on: December 02, 2018, 01:41:47 PM »

Lots of clips (full show, I think) from the Cleveland show on this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGpWYJHMw5ha1Ndk3lTRYoA

BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #979 on: December 02, 2018, 01:52:20 PM »

Saw Brian last week in Windsor, ON. Seventh time seeing him live in ten years. (Third Pet Sounds show). Got to be honest, this one depressed me. *IN MY OPINION*, he shouldn't be on stage at this point in his life. Personally, I wouldn't be too upset if that was the last time I'd see him perform. This was the only time I left one of his shows feeling sad for the man. To everyone who will be attending future shows, don't let this scare you. It's still great to hear this brilliant music performed by his fantastic band.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2018, 01:55:33 PM by BiNNS » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #980 on: December 02, 2018, 02:17:58 PM »

Lots of clips (full show, I think) from the Cleveland show on this channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGpWYJHMw5ha1Ndk3lTRYoA

Thanks for that link!

Man, Brian really doesn't look too well. Is there something with his mouth? He constantly is doing something with the right corner of his mouth.  I hope he is fine/getting better soon.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #981 on: December 02, 2018, 02:44:05 PM »

Thanks for the clips really enjoying watching them. Particularly Al and Blondie. Nice to see the songs done. Though it is very disturbing to see Brian like this. Is he even interested in being there? Sad
thelonelysea
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #982 on: December 02, 2018, 02:51:13 PM »

Thanks for the clips really enjoying watching them. Particularly Al and Blondie. Nice to see the songs done. Though it is very disturbing to see Brian like this. Is he even interested in being there? Sad

I think we've pretty well established from people close to the band that he is interested. It's just a matter of how much pain he's in nowadays, making the typical set more difficult, both physically and emotionally.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #983 on: December 02, 2018, 03:15:25 PM »

Who's the girl?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #984 on: December 02, 2018, 05:40:50 PM »

Who's the girl?

She is one half of Beat Root Revival, the opening act on the tour.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #985 on: December 02, 2018, 07:25:44 PM »

I think we've pretty well established from people close to the band that he is interested. It's just a matter of how much pain he's in nowadays, making the typical set more difficult, both physically and emotionally.

I can only imagine what he’s going through. If he’s not taking anything for the pain, he’s got to be in complete agony. I don’t know what medication he’s on but from first hand knowledge a lot of medication for mental illness has side effects that make the options for pain management rather limited (speaking from personal experience). This has to be weighing on him emotionally big time. I personally think this is WHY he’s touring, because it keeps him busy and more importantly gives him something to strive for. We all know about Brian’s legendary inner strength. That said, reading these reports saddens the hell out of me. I hope like hell this isn’t it and he’s going to be back on form. Not as a fan of the music but as a fan of the man himself

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #986 on: December 02, 2018, 07:28:12 PM »

I can only imagine what he’s going through. If he’s not taking anything for the pain, he’s got to be in complete agony. I don’t know what medication he’s on but from first hand knowledge a lot of medication for mental illness has side effects that make the options for pain management rather limited (speaking from personal experience). This has to be weighing on him emotionally big time. I personally think this is WHY he’s touring, because it keeps him busy and more importantly gives him something to strive for. We all know about Brian’s legendary inner strength. That said, reading these reports saddens the hell out of me. I hope like hell this isn’t it and he’s going to be back on form. Not as a fan of the music but as a fan of the man himself

This. I wish everyone could read this before passing judgement on whether Brian should be touring.

Adds some 🎼 to your day
thelonelysea
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #987 on: December 02, 2018, 07:39:26 PM »

Maybe there will be enough downtime between the Christmas tour and some of the pick-up dates for Pet Sounds (which are in June/July) that would give Brian a chance to work more with the physical therapy side of things. I don't know if there will be new dates added between now and then, but it can't be easy to find the perfect balance of managing pain/recovering on the road. I hope the pain lifts for him.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #988 on: December 02, 2018, 07:46:12 PM »

Agreed. Don’t book anything until summer next year and then reassess. If he does nothing next year except those replacent dates then so be it. Stay close to home, write some songs either for himself or the band and record them if he needs to keep busy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #989 on: December 02, 2018, 08:08:37 PM »

Agreed. I really want to see Brian work on studio material .

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #990 on: December 02, 2018, 09:33:47 PM »

If Brian, Al & Co. flew to Moscow, even St. Petersburg, I'd definitely go. The point is, you must be glad, people, that you get to see Brian live - it's cool, you know? I'm not sure really what's the problem.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #991 on: December 02, 2018, 11:31:08 PM »

If Brian, Al & Co. flew to Moscow, even St. Petersburg, I'd definitely go. The point is, you must be glad, people, that you get to see Brian live - it's cool, you know? I'm not sure really what's the problem.

I think most of us are grateful for the chance to see Brian live but I don't think it's wrong to be concerned about him.  Between his age, his history with depression and mental illness, his recent surgeries, and his current mobility issues, it's troubling to see him looking so detached.  I'm sure if his family and doctors didn't think he should be touring or if he told them he didn't want to, he wouldn't be.  But it's still hard not to worry.

ReggieDunbar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #992 on: December 03, 2018, 02:46:56 AM »

WHAT A WASTE OF TALENT AND LEGACY!!
Rob, takes on many leads and sounds great but when the songs really don't have any BB/BW-connection they mean nothing to me when he sings them. (Compared to WIBN)

All these fantastic musicians with the greatest catalog on earth. And  Blondie do Run Run Rudolph?! But, who needs a solid Al Jardine sing Susie Cincinatti when we can have Blondie do a reggae version of Blue Christmas?

Also: Bofnigigolo ending a Brian Wilson-concert with White Christmas is the closest to blasphemy it can get for me as an atheist.

The pine-scented air smells so good in the snow, in our toboggan well go
screaming down the mountainside. The touch of your cheeks when theyre rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold. Just to take you close and make you warm and...
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #993 on: December 03, 2018, 08:00:22 AM »

Wow -- I didn't know what to expect when I heard about Blondie singing "O Holy Night," but that version from Cleveland is GREAT! Go, Blondie!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #994 on: December 03, 2018, 08:54:13 AM »

Having seen Brian just over a week ago (I wrote a lengthy post in this thread after the Montreal and Ottawa shows on the 22nd and 23rd), I really think that Brian is exhausted and probably experiencing serious pain.  As we've all noted, he can sing when he really wants to (i.e. Love and Mercy) but putting in that effort for 90 mins seems to be too much for him at this point.  Let's not forget that singing is surprisingly physical.  It requires a lot of breath control, and that can be affected by pain.  I think a full show of singing is just too much for him, physically, at this point.  During the encore set, he didn't even try to take the first lines on Surfin' USA, just looked over to Al as if to say "you've got to do this one". 

I noticed his trembling hands, jaw movements, and shifting at the piano in an attempt to get comfortable.  As Billy C said, the pain management options available are probably limited due to a variety of factors. 

Also, I imagine that he's just plain tired from the pretty intense tour schedule this fall.  And pain and exhaustion perpetuate each other in a vicious cycle.  I really think they made a mistake booking the Christmas tour with no break after the PS concerts.  Even a couple of weeks could have energized him. 

I admire the man tremendously for toughing it out, and there's nothing I'd rather do than go to a Brian Wilson and band concert.  But even I would be happy to see him get a good rest at this point.   
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #995 on: December 03, 2018, 10:38:17 AM »

The entire show from Saturday night is on youtube if you want to be as uncomfortable as those of us were at the venue.
https://www.youtube.com/user/nickperry74/videos

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 10:39:32 AM by TV Forces » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #996 on: December 03, 2018, 11:50:46 AM »

Oh my god.  Sad Sad Sad

urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #997 on: December 03, 2018, 12:08:52 PM »

Brian W. should have hung it up a long time ago.  If he's unable to concentrate or if he's not interested, or if he's silently suffering from back pain, don't advertise a show and rip off the people that pay their money to see a concert.  I understand there are a lot of people that depend upon BW for a paycheck, but at some point you have to say enough and end it.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #998 on: December 03, 2018, 01:55:52 PM »

Brian W. should have hung it up a long time ago.  If he's unable to concentrate or if he's not interested, or if he's silently suffering from back pain, don't advertise a show and rip off the people that pay their money to see a concert.  I understand there are a lot of people that depend upon BW for a paycheck, but at some point you have to say enough and end it.

I was at two of his shows in late November and I definitely don't feel ripped off.  I saw a spectacular band perform amazing music, and I saw Brian working within his limitations.  You have to consider that these shows were booked a long time ago and cancelling them opens its own can of worms (including unhappy fans).  I think it would be smart for the band management to hold off on booking more shows until Brian is back on his feet, but I certainly don't feel hard done by because of the shows I saw. 
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #999 on: December 03, 2018, 02:12:57 PM »

The entire show from Saturday night is on youtube if you want to be as uncomfortable as those of us were at the venue.
https://www.youtube.com/user/nickperry74/videos

Was that Brian making that weird "ahh" sound at the start of the second verse of Good Vibrations? He has his mouth open when it happens. I can't quite figure it out.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 37 38 39 [40] 41 42 43 44 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx