gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:17:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 [34] 35 36 37 38 39 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 272484 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: November 05, 2018, 05:45:08 PM »

Looks like Coyne envied Brian. Usually, when smb. says this & this says sth. trifle & people accept it with admiration, it means that individual's envy. WC says people like the way Brian - paraphrasing WC here - wipes his bottom. Ummmmm...not really sure where's Brian's fault here exactly? Maybe he should question people instead? It's not fair to put the blame to Brian, be annoyed at him for fans' liking everything he says & does, going to hyperbolic extreme cases.

Btw, some fans enjoy to practice this thing, especially broken record-like, analytical poster Sheriff John Stone: when the other fans dislike some things about Mike's interviews, they predictably bring such point as "If Brian did the interview, people will say what genius he is".
I'd like to just once do the same for change - do anybody agree it's safe bet that if Mike did the interview in similar way, similar yes/ no answers, many fans, esp. ten times multiplied loyal Mike fans would defend him till the end & exclaim what bunch of bastards the interviewers were?

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #826 on: November 05, 2018, 07:08:50 PM »

I respect him as a musician but Wayne was way off base with that

I guess he's softened with age.

Yes, but that was clearly for the always bewitching American actor Brian Dennehy.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: November 05, 2018, 07:46:55 PM »

Looks like Coyne envied Brian. Usually, when smb. says this & this says sth. trifle & people accept it with admiration, it means that individual's envy. WC says people like the way Brian - paraphrasing WC here - wipes his bottom. Ummmmm...not really sure where's Brian's fault here exactly? Maybe he should question people instead? It's not fair to put the blame to Brian, be annoyed at him for fans' liking everything he says & does, going to hyperbolic extreme cases.

Btw, some fans enjoy to practice this thing, especially broken record-like, analytical poster Sheriff John Stone: when the other fans dislike some things about Mike's interviews, they predictably bring such point as "If Brian did the interview, people will say what genius he is".
I'd like to just once do the same for change - do anybody agree it's safe bet that if Mike did the interview in similar way, similar yes/ no answers, many fans, esp. ten times multiplied loyal Mike fans would defend him till the end & exclaim what bunch of bastards the interviewers were?

Given Brian’s Yes/No answers or Mikes retelling the same stories, I’d go for neither, and that’s not to knock either one of them. I just think after almost 60 years there is nothing new to tell and interviews are a waste of time at this point.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #828 on: November 05, 2018, 09:23:37 PM »

Pleasant surprises and slight demises at the Kennedy Center this evening. I was delighted to find that a 12-piece accumulation of the NSO was present for the concert this evening. They added SO much more than the other two Pet Sounds shows I've seen. "Feel Flows" was a pleasant surprise. Al Jardine remembering me at the lip of the stage from the club gig in March was a huge surprise. Brian's physicality was an unpleasant surprise and begins the demise. I actually gasped out loud completely by shock reaction when I saw him. His face is so pale and sunken in and his legs are so thin. He walked out like an unsteady Grizzly Bear using it's hind legs. I was very concerned. Now, for the first ten songs, he was really into it. I saw and HEARD him playing more than I ever have. He was singing really beautiful high harmonies on "Feel Flows". Cool stuff. He would look up at the large concert hall after every song with a unique sparkle of astonishment at the place. Then as "Sail on Sailor" begin, he was gone. His hands were at his sides and he sang minimally.

This was undoubtedly the best I had heard an ensemble perform Pet Sounds however, it was probably the worst I've seen Brian perform it. Contrary to other posters, I don't think he sang poorly. The problem was that he didn't sing. He didn't try to sing...so many times. He missed entire verses and choruses of YSBIM, Sloop, GOK (he sang the first two verses and slumped after that), IJWMFTT, and Caroline No. About half the songs on the record he botched vocally, simply by not participating. Then, poor Alan, or Darian, or the new guy who seems skittish as a damn chihuahua up there and is nowhere near as powerful a vocalist as Matt Jardine (or Foskett for that matter...and I can't stand the guy)...well, they would have to scramble which created an equally sloppy sound to catch the missing line in the song. I don't what the answer is. Brian is clearly disinterested with Pet Sounds and it concerns me that it's still being drug out and about. I'll be curious to hear if his demeanor changes for the Christmas shows. Also, there was no intermission or encore (likely to avoid moving too much) but when it was time to leave the stage, it was a massive struggle. He could not lift his own weight. His legs wobbled like crazy and his knees sank several times. It was truly sad. I hope there's an answer, and I hope we can see and hear some rejuvenation somewhere somehow soon, and that this sort of behavior will not be what marks the end of times for the Brian Wilson history.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #829 on: November 05, 2018, 09:46:46 PM »

Sounds like a great deal was due to getting tired and the pain. The opening part sounds promising!

I’ve always pretty much been the very definition of a Brianista. I have no qualms admitting that. With that in mind if he really is tired of doing Pet Sounds then it needs to end. Again, that’s IF. But of the description it sounds like he just wore out

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: November 06, 2018, 06:40:19 AM »

Sounds like a great deal was due to getting tired and the pain. The opening part sounds promising!

I’ve always pretty much been the very definition of a Brianista. I have no qualms admitting that. With that in mind if he really is tired of doing Pet Sounds then it needs to end. Again, that’s IF. But of the description it sounds like he just wore out

I totally agree, I don't mean to undermine the life-long and recent health battles he's been fighting. In addition to that, I think there is waning interest in Pet Sounds from Brian because at all three PS shows I've seen since 2016, he's more interested (in varying degrees) and engaging during the first set than Pet Sounds...and when it's the Pet Sounds tour after all, one would expect that portion of the show to be the peak of interest for both performer and consumer.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: November 06, 2018, 08:27:30 AM »

I think they need to stop the Pet Sounds shows.  Admittedly, I went a bit crazy when they started the tour and have seen it...um, seven times, but it's not because I particularly want to hear Pet Sounds, it's because I came to my BB fandom late in life and want to see Brian and Al as much as I can while I can.  After seven shows, I'm a little tired of PS, so I can only imagine what it must be like for Brian and the band.  Also, PS is such an emotionally-charged album that I would think performing it would either mean going through those emotions - night after night - or kind of tuning it all out.

I'm seeing them in a couple of weeks - one night is the Greatest Hits show and the next night is Pet Sounds, and will report as to whether there's any difference in energy between the shows. 

GhostyTMRS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: November 07, 2018, 10:59:01 AM »

It's always interesting when people get upset with Brian. Honestly, he shouldn't really be doing interviews. He obviously dislikes them.

There's an infamous story of when Wayne Coyne from the Flaming Lips filmed an unaired video interview with Brian for HBO's "Reverb" in '99 that was apparently very awkward and uncomfortable. Coyne later trashed him many times in the press afterwards, and also thinks his situation is a "put on".

Here's the text interview:
http://www.stopsmilingonline.com/story_detail.php?id=224

And here's Coyne's thoughts on Brian:

SS: From your interview with Brian Wilson, the one for HBO ? do you really think that Brian is a genius??

WC: I think genius is weird. It is something that happens. But I don't think people are born that way. I'm not in contempt of him, though. I just hate that if someone is drug-damaged, or eccentric, or possibly mad, people will let them sh*t all over themselves thinking, Isn't he [and out of respect, she] cool?"

Humans should have some sort of behavioral standards at some point in time. I don't care what you do. I don't care if you're the greatest artist. You have to be a good human first! But I don't think that people are geniuses, per se. I think anyone is capable of doing anything that could be considered "genius." I think it's a combination of persistence and some intention, and then some luck and then a little bit more luck, and then just the world being ready for what it is, and then it's considered genius. And it's a lot of accidents and a lot of timing. ...

SS: So do you view Brian more as a "pop guru?" And what about Pet Sounds? I mean, it's a great record, but I think the press has gone way overboard in recent years.

WC: Unfortunately, he's driven by that press -- how he always needs to be in the limelight of things.

SS: He's an American, though, born and raised.

WC: I think he can be a fool, because he needs people to pay attention to him. He's got the Elvis Presley syndrome. He wants everyone to say, "You're great! You're great!" I think he surrounds himself with people who are like, "Brian, the way you eat cereal ? you're a genius. Brian, the way that you wipe your ass, it's genius." I've found it off-putting at times.

But later on, I was like, "Well, if he's such a genius, why can't he talk." He's been asked about his music, like, everyday of his fucking life, so you'd think that he'd have something to say about it, besides, "Well, the Beatles are great." I know they are, Brian. Now, do you remember any of the ideas that you put into your music?

Wow! This sounds about as un-Brian as you can get. Wayne clearly had some learning to do. Talk about false impressions!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #833 on: November 07, 2018, 03:40:27 PM »

Brian has always struck me as not wanting to be around people that always kiss his ass.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
John Brode
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #834 on: November 07, 2018, 03:54:42 PM »

Yeah, sounds like the opposite of Brian for sure. He strikes me as someone who doesn't even like being called genius. DEFINITELY not someone who needs to hear it constantly.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #835 on: November 08, 2018, 06:20:14 AM »

Pleasant surprises and slight demises at the Kennedy Center this evening. I was delighted to find that a 12-piece accumulation of the NSO was present for the concert this evening. They added SO much more than the other two Pet Sounds shows I've seen. "Feel Flows" was a pleasant surprise. Al Jardine remembering me at the lip of the stage from the club gig in March was a huge surprise. Brian's physicality was an unpleasant surprise and begins the demise. I actually gasped out loud completely by shock reaction when I saw him. His face is so pale and sunken in and his legs are so thin. He walked out like an unsteady Grizzly Bear using it's hind legs. I was very concerned. Now, for the first ten songs, he was really into it. I saw and HEARD him playing more than I ever have. He was singing really beautiful high harmonies on "Feel Flows". Cool stuff. He would look up at the large concert hall after every song with a unique sparkle of astonishment at the place. Then as "Sail on Sailor" begin, he was gone. His hands were at his sides and he sang minimally.

I saw them election night in an old performing arts center.  Last shows I saw Brian would have been Jeff Beck and C50.  RS13, you are spot on in your review and observations.  Musically and vocally, the show was spot on.  Except for Brian. Did ok for the first part of the show then ran out of steam, left out lyrics frequently, and looked very tired, and physically nearly unable to tour like he does.  Like many on this board, I've been a rabid fans of all things Beachboys for decades.   And I still am.  But I left the show thinking that Brian, well, to put it nicely, is still being "handled" and pushed to stay on the road.  I think he would rather be at home, eating a sandwich and watching TV.  I felt for him.  I would like to see him enjoy his remaining years in comfort.
This was undoubtedly the best I had heard an ensemble perform Pet Sounds however, it was probably the worst I've seen Brian perform it. Contrary to other posters, I don't think he sang poorly. The problem was that he didn't sing. He didn't try to sing...so many times. He missed entire verses and choruses of YSBIM, Sloop, GOK (he sang the first two verses and slumped after that), IJWMFTT, and Caroline No. About half the songs on the record he botched vocally, simply by not participating. Then, poor Alan, or Darian, or the new guy who seems skittish as a damn chihuahua up there and is nowhere near as powerful a vocalist as Matt Jardine (or Foskett for that matter...and I can't stand the guy)...well, they would have to scramble which created an equally sloppy sound to catch the missing line in the song. I don't what the answer is. Brian is clearly disinterested with Pet Sounds and it concerns me that it's still being drug out and about. I'll be curious to hear if his demeanor changes for the Christmas shows. Also, there was no intermission or encore (likely to avoid moving too much) but when it was time to leave the stage, it was a massive struggle. He could not lift his own weight. His legs wobbled like crazy and his knees sank several times. It was truly sad. I hope there's an answer, and I hope we can see and hear some rejuvenation somewhere somehow soon, and that this sort of behavior will not be what marks the end of times for the Brian Wilson history.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #836 on: November 08, 2018, 06:53:18 AM »

I tried to respond to RubberSoul13 but my response got lost in the middle of his quote.  Saw Brian on election night?  Band as great as ever.  Blondie and Al delightful, BW son in law sang nicely.  Brian looks and sounded tired.  Behavior much as described by RS13.  Missed lyrics, tired out after a few songs.  Limping on and off stage with two assistants.  Wearing a full length leg brace.  I feel like Brian is once again being "handled" and would rather be home watching tv and eating a sandwich.   I think the time has come for him to sit and watch the sun set on this beautiful day.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #837 on: November 08, 2018, 12:39:26 PM »

Or just maybe he’d rather do this to keep busy, perhaps?

baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: November 08, 2018, 01:11:26 PM »

There was some question as to where Matt Jardine has been, he put this on his Facebook today.

Hey everyone. Just wanted to say thanks for all of the messages and well wishes. I’m taking a much-needed break from the road to be with my family and to get some studio time in. Sending out lots of love and good energy to my amazing band mates, Brian Wilson, Dad, Al Jardine, Blondie Chaplin and the whole BW road crew. Hope everyone has a great holiday season and I’ll see you next year. -Matt
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #839 on: November 08, 2018, 02:03:21 PM »

I tried to respond to RubberSoul13 but my response got lost in the middle of his quote.  Saw Brian on election night?  Band as great as ever.  Blondie and Al delightful, BW son in law sang nicely.  Brian looks and sounded tired.  Behavior much as described by RS13.  Missed lyrics, tired out after a few songs.  Limping on and off stage with two assistants.  Wearing a full length leg brace.  I feel like Brian is once again being "handled" and would rather be home watching tv and eating a sandwich.   I think the time has come for him to sit and watch the sun set on this beautiful day.

What was the run time for the show? I'm seeing him in about two weeks and trying to figure out childcare.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #840 on: November 08, 2018, 02:07:22 PM »

There was some question as to where Matt Jardine has been, he put this on his Facebook today.

Hey everyone. Just wanted to say thanks for all of the messages and well wishes. I’m taking a much-needed break from the road to be with my family and to get some studio time in. Sending out lots of love and good energy to my amazing band mates, Brian Wilson, Dad, Al Jardine, Blondie Chaplin and the whole BW road crew. Hope everyone has a great holiday season and I’ll see you next year. -Matt

Went to the first show of this ‘Last PS Tour’ back in early 2016. It’s no surprise that closing in on 3 years various members would want to get their private lives back on track. Enjoy the break Matt.
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #841 on: November 08, 2018, 02:09:57 PM »

What was the run time for the show? I'm seeing him in about two weeks and trying to figure out childcare.

Short. No intermission and they don't leave the stage for the encore and back. It ran from exactly 8:04-9:44pm in DC on Monday night.
The Lovester
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #842 on: November 08, 2018, 06:39:56 PM »

I was thinking about seeing Brian in early December for the Christmas album shows but I am kind of nervous after seeing some reviews of shows this year. Brian did not sound good on a lot of the stuff when I saw him play Pet Sounds a year ago. I'll probably just wait for some reviews of the Christmas shows to come out; hopefully the new material will energize him.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #843 on: November 08, 2018, 09:51:24 PM »

Just got home from Atlanta. Brian threw us a curveball tonight and took a show that was advertised as a GH show and threw in the entire PS album. I was surprised. Nice to finally hear "Feel Flows" from this tour.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #844 on: November 09, 2018, 04:03:20 AM »

I've seen the Pet Sounds shows 3 or 4 times over the course of the past few years. I must say, while the band, Al, Blondie and especially Matt have always been top notch, Brian's performance has digressed with each performance, to the point of him pretty much speaking the lyrics to the PS songs, as opposed to singing them, in almost a lounge lizard type fashion. The last show I saw was really dissapointing. I was thinking about going to a Xmas show in my area, but frankly, I was a bit concerned about his performance, not the band's but Brian's. I love Brian, and I think he should do whatever it is he wants to do at this stage of hi life. But to me, he clearly seemed(s) bored and dis interested in singing the PS songs, at least in the order of the album.
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #845 on: November 09, 2018, 06:07:06 AM »

I saw Brian and crew last night in Atlanta. This was my 9th BW concert and 3rd in the past 3 years. I have to say that this was by far the most upsetting of any of them. Brian had a knee brace on and was anywhere but the concert. It truly made me sad to see him like this. The band, as always, sounded fantastic and is always professional.

I am hoping that he was just having a bad night but I can say that there was a noticeable decline in my opinion since the 2016 Pet Sounds 50th show.
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #846 on: November 09, 2018, 08:34:23 AM »

Sorry to hear that.  I thought Brian was much better at the show I saw last Thursday, in comparison to the videos I saw from the European leg of the tour.  Not great - they need to bring God Only Knows & Good Vibrations to a lower key, or something.  But still better than I expected.  Maybe 1 week of touring has already taken it's toll on him.
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #847 on: November 09, 2018, 10:10:41 AM »

I'm not a very emotional person but I was fighting back tears at times during the concert. To see somebody that you have idolized for most of your life as he was last night was hard to handle.

I just hope that even though he may not appear to be enjoying himself that he actually is.
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #848 on: November 09, 2018, 10:21:08 AM »

It saddens me to admit it but i agree with what’s been said after seeing him in DC earlier this week Pet Sounds really needs to end, even since the show i saw early last year Brian takes less leads especially in the encore where basically Al sings all those songs. I think he still wants to tour which is great but he needs some new motivation. Maybe that will be this Christmas Tour but if not maybe a new album? Or A very unlikely scenario i know but a Beach Boys reunion where he can sing less leads? I really don’t know but something has to give.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #849 on: November 09, 2018, 12:53:58 PM »

Atlanta set list, the Greatest Hits show that turned out to be a Pet Sounds show:

California Girls
Dance Dance Dance
I Get Around
Shut Down
Little Deuce Coupe
Surfer Girl
California Saga
Don't Worry Baby
Darlin'
Feel Flows (!)
Sail On Sailor

Pet Sounds:
Wouldn't It Be Nice
You Still Believe in Me
That's Not Me
Don't Talk (Put Your Head on My Shoulder)
I'm Waiting for the Day
Let's Go Away for Awhile
Sloop John B
God Only Knows
I Know There's an Answer
Here Today
I Just Wasn't Made for These Times
Pet Sounds
Caroline, No

Encore:
Good Vibrations
Help Me, Rhonda