gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:11:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 272467 times)
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: November 03, 2018, 11:06:03 PM »

https://twitter.com/espnVshow/status/1058403927425798145
https://twitter.com/espnVshow

Brian went on live radio to give a interview and according to this guy acted very rude. He encourages everyone not to go to his show when it rolls into town. I doubt he is familiar with Brian or his problems at all.

I listened to the interview and yes, while it was the stereotypical Brian interview (short, brusque answers), the hosts clearly didn’t prepare for the interview and they trashed him on-air after Brian hung up.

It starts at around the 37 minute mark.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-bob-valvano-show/fast-break-friday-hr-1-w-espnvshow-mikepratt22-1

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #801 on: November 03, 2018, 11:47:55 PM »

Brian went on live radio to give a interview and according to this guy acted very rude. He encourages everyone not to go to his show when it rolls into town. I doubt he is familiar with Brian or his problems at all.

I listened to the interview and yes, while it was the stereotypical Brian interview (short, brusque answers), the hosts clearly didn’t prepare for the interview and they trashed him on-air after Brian hung up.

https://omny.fm/shows/the-bob-valvano-show/fast-break-friday-hr-1-w-espnvshow-mikepratt22-1
Thanks a lot for the link!

Encouraging people not to go see Brian's show because he was rude on the interview...isn't that kinda rude?
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 04, 2018, 01:00:30 AM »

Thanks a lot for the link!

Encouraging people not to go see Brian's show because he was rude on the interview...isn't that kinda rude?

He was getting some pushback on Twitter, but yeah. Trashing your guest on-air after you finished the interview is incredibly unprofessional.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 04, 2018, 05:15:09 AM »

Brian never should have been booked on a sports talk show anyway . Those hosts interviewing style is much different .
Til...I...@died
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 04, 2018, 07:40:03 AM »

Were these guys just completely unaware of Brian’s issues? It’s odd to me that the brother of jimmy V would not have compassion. It wasn’t a good interview but it wasn’t particularly bad for a Brian interview either.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 04, 2018, 07:56:35 AM »

I listened to Bob Valvano many years ago when I used to tune in ESPN radio. The guy's interviewed many sports stars . Can't imagine him saying after a star's surly interview to boycott their games.
As celebrity interviews on ESPN tend to be (Or at least were when I listened to it) light hearted, lots of jokes on both sides ,  it was definitely a mistake for Brian to be on there .
But Valvano's reaction was way over the top. I mean, if I boycotted every entertainer who's been temperamental, surly, snarky, at times, the pickings would be quite slim.

And I agree, it's sad that he doesn't have the compassion that big brother Jimmy had. (Just listened to Jimmy V's "Never give up " speech again)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 08:25:29 AM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 04, 2018, 10:35:09 AM »

I haven't heard the interview but I can imagine how it went.

I have read this Valvano's tweet responses about the interview and find it problematic on several fronts.

One, he says this:  "I don't think that was the mental illness talking. Lots of folks who battle it are still able to hold a simple conversation, especially if you're coherent enough to perform 90 minute concerts."

His conclusion is that Brian's answers were not evidence of someone who is extremely socially awkward and affected by all sorts of issues but is instead just a jerk. Unfortunately, this is a trend that I see happening a lot these days, "I know lots of people suffering from x and they never do y, therefore the person who does do y can't use x as an excuse." This perspective on mental illness or even introversion really lacks nuance. Illness never pronounces itself in just one singular way. Lots of people react in very different ways to the issues that are plaguing them and to assume that all should by and large behave the same way shows a real lack of understanding of the topic, despite Valvano's scoffing at those giving him "mental health lessons."

His point about performing "90 minute concerts" seems fairly indicative of a person who has never seen a Brian Wilson performance and observed the kind of support that Brian gets at one to get through those 90 minutes.

The second point he makes, and seemingly his overriding point, is this: "the most significant thing is THEY CALLED US to have him on to promote his concert here. If they know he's going to be like that,  shame on them. If he didn't want to do it, he simply shouldn't have, shame on him."

Now in all honesty the whole business of concert tours is a terrible one, largely because it has been made into a business and an enterprise. If it were as simple as a band just going from town to town of their own accord and playing in some space where lots of people could hear them, then it would be less terrible. But that's not how it works. Promoters and venues want to make money and, as a result, make it a requirement for the talent to do publicity. And the fact is that Valvano should really know how this process actually works. Does he legitimately think that when most of the celebrities call him up to get an interview that they are doing it because they "want" to? I'm sure that Brian would love to not do 90% of the press he does and I don't blame him. Some artists probably have the clout where they can avoid it, others have the mastery of skill to be able to pull off the press despite loathing it, but Brian can't do either of these things and so he is for the most part forced to enter into these absurd and meaningless discussions so that, for the most part, other people can make a buck off of his talent.

Yes, ideally, it would be great if the whole institution of "the concert" as it exists today changed dramatically but it hasn't. Valvano knows this and to pretend as if Brian could just say no to all the press he doesn't want to do (which, surely and understandably would be most of it) is ridiculous.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 04, 2018, 03:04:31 PM »

Listened to the first 3 questions and that was enough. Big mistake booking this, however if they insist on publicity interviews they should include Al, Blondie (preferably both) to make them appealing to the audience.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 04, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »

Oh man, this is painful.  The thing is, if you’ve watched or read as little as one or two interviews with him, you realize very quickly that Brian just answers questions.  As in, he’s just going to give you the answer that’s in his head, and not make up some bulls!@t that sounds good.  If you ask him, “do you enjoy knowing that your music had a big impact on so many people’s lives” or whatever, the answer is going to be “yes”.  Period.  Because that’s the truthful answer. 

It’s really sad that they think he was being rude because I bet Brian just thought he was doing a good job of answering the questions. 

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #809 on: November 04, 2018, 09:53:03 PM »

Quite pissed off after hearing these pricks. If Brian was having one of his off days he likely got thrown off going from question to question. If Brian is having one of those days do you think he’s really going to be able to follow the train of conversation? sh*t, I have days like that too, ever since my first stroke and only made worse after my second. I’m on antidepressants too as I have issues of my own. If I’d had one of “my days” there’s no way I’m hell I would’ve wanted to be apart of something like this. I have severe social anxiety (among other issues not worth going into) I would’ve shut down in this situation and I haven’t been through near as much sh*t as he has. He gives a short answer? Do a follow up question. Another short answer? Follow up on that. Nah, with the bouncing back and forth coupled with the laughter, he likely felt uncomfortable. I sure would have

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #810 on: November 05, 2018, 07:44:00 AM »

I’m not into fence-walking and both-side-ism, but this was clearly a bungled situation on *both* sides.

On Brian’s side, whomever not only granted the interview, but actively *sought* out doing an interview with a sports talk guy (assuming the host is accurate that Brian’s camp sought out the interview) were just asking for problems. With even more sympathetic interviewers/shows, shows that regularly feature musicians and other artistic types, Brian’s interviews have sometimes been tough. When you start entering the realm of “talk radio” (ugggh), and then “sports talk radio” (extra ugggh), you’re just asking for trouble. And when that personality also posts crap on Twitter all the time, you then open up Brian to TONS of Twitter a-holes, the kind of simple-minded people who post stuff like “Sounds like, based on a host’s description of an interview, I’m now going to boycott this musical artist.” Wtf?

BUT, booking Brian on crap like this opens up all of these situations unfortunately. And Brian has bad days, no question. But by the time of a few minutes before airtime, they should cancel a booking if Brian’s not feeling it. Easier on EVERYONE.

Yes, ideally these shows/hosts would do their homework on Brian’s deal. But even some music-centric radio DJs don’t. You can’t count on that. At the very least, if they just HAD to promote this show, they should have either paired Brian with Al, or just sent Al to do the interview. EASY solution; Jardine is there and has regularly suffered through inane DJs and radio shows (and done some good ones, too, just as Brian has).

Also, while Valvano, even after eventually *trying* to empathize or sympathize with Brian’s issues on Twitter, still felt compelled to put the onus on Brian more than sympathetic friends and fans and colleagues would (it’s *always* a dangerous area to start drawing an arbitrary line where someone with mental health/medical issues should be given a pass for their behavior versus when they should be held responsible), I don’t think it’s out of line to at least pose the question of whether Brian can or should ever be called out for being too, well whatever it is he was in this interview. Many fans of Brian’s have (justifiably) called others out for suggesting that Brian can’t do things for himself, or make decisions for himself, etc. Well, that’s gotta work both ways at least a little bit, right? If Brian is relatively independent, then if he does come across as lacking interest to the point of rudness in an interview, is it *ever* justifiable to at least point that out? The problem of course is that, while Valvano wasn’t as crude and harsh in the aftermath as he could have been (and as other radio and sports radio personalities might be), he didn’t help things with his reaction to the interview (a reaction which I’m guessing he ironically thought was polite and restrained).

On Valvano’s side, while it appears they went to some degree of lengths to steer the interview as well as they could, what he *should* have done is just finished the interview and then let it go. Here’s a news flash: It DOES take a pretty empathetic person to not just scoff at situations like this and say Brian’s being a dick. The problem is that while it takes *very little* homework to know that Brian has issues and can be a tough interview if you don’t know much about him or know him, it does take more homework to really get into the nuts and bolts of *how* Brian’s intermittent oddness in interviews works. It isn’t as simple as “he has had mental health issues in the past and those issues can still impact modern interviews.” His moods and idiosyncrasies do play a role as well. You gotta be pretty good to steer a Brian interview that’s starting to go off the rails, and a sports talk guy usually isn’t the guy to do that.

Perhaps even more egregious and less professional was Valvano’s bits about essentially telling people to not go Brian’s show because he’s a dick. Indeed, many a sports personality is a dick too, and I’m guessing Valvano doesn’t regularly call for boycotts of teams and leagues.

Bottom line, I do think Brian and his team made a bad decision to book an interview like this. But they certainly didn’t mean anybody any harm, and had no ill intentions. Conversely, Valvano, even while apparently *trying* to sort of be empathetic, came off poorly and more ill-intentioned by actively calling for people not to see Brian’s show, and for opening up a can of worms on Twitter which, ANYBODY who knows ANYTHING about Twitter, knows will immediately blow up into a cesspool of Twitter garbage who are going to say awful things about Brian.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: November 05, 2018, 08:50:09 AM »

Off to see the show on 11-4.  What can I expect.   This will be my 6th BW show since the first Pet Sounds tour.  Can't believe it has been nearly 20 years since BW hit the road with the Wondermints.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: November 05, 2018, 09:33:08 AM »

I’m not into fence-walking and both-side-ism, but this was clearly a bungled situation on *both* sides.

On Brian’s side, whomever not only granted the interview, but actively *sought* out doing an interview with a sports talk guy (assuming the host is accurate that Brian’s camp sought out the interview) were just asking for problems. With even more sympathetic interviewers/shows, shows that regularly feature musicians and other artistic types, Brian’s interviews have sometimes been tough. When you start entering the realm of “talk radio” (ugggh), and then “sports talk radio” (extra ugggh), you’re just asking for trouble. And when that personality also posts crap on Twitter all the time, you then open up Brian to TONS of Twitter a-holes, the kind of simple-minded people who post stuff like “Sounds like, based on a host’s description of an interview, I’m now going to boycott this musical artist.” Wtf?

BUT, booking Brian on crap like this opens up all of these situations unfortunately. And Brian has bad days, no question. But by the time of a few minutes before airtime, they should cancel a booking if Brian’s not feeling it. Easier on EVERYONE.

Yes, ideally these shows/hosts would do their homework on Brian’s deal. But even some music-centric radio DJs don’t. You can’t count on that. At the very least, if they just HAD to promote this show, they should have either paired Brian with Al, or just sent Al to do the interview. EASY solution; Jardine is there and has regularly suffered through inane DJs and radio shows (and done some good ones, too, just as Brian has).

Also, while Valvano, even after eventually *trying* to empathize or sympathize with Brian’s issues on Twitter, still felt compelled to put the onus on Brian more than sympathetic friends and fans and colleagues would (it’s *always* a dangerous area to start drawing an arbitrary line where someone with mental health/medical issues should be given a pass for their behavior versus when they should be held responsible), I don’t think it’s out of line to at least pose the question of whether Brian can or should ever be called out for being too, well whatever it is he was in this interview. Many fans of Brian’s have (justifiably) called others out for suggesting that Brian can’t do things for himself, or make decisions for himself, etc. Well, that’s gotta work both ways at least a little bit, right? If Brian is relatively independent, then if he does come across as lacking interest to the point of rudness in an interview, is it *ever* justifiable to at least point that out? The problem of course is that, while Valvano wasn’t as crude and harsh in the aftermath as he could have been (and as other radio and sports radio personalities might be), he didn’t help things with his reaction to the interview (a reaction which I’m guessing he ironically thought was polite and restrained).

On Valvano’s side, while it appears they went to some degree of lengths to steer the interview as well as they could, what he *should* have done is just finished the interview and then let it go. Here’s a news flash: It DOES take a pretty empathetic person to not just scoff at situations like this and say Brian’s being a dick. The problem is that while it takes *very little* homework to know that Brian has issues and can be a tough interview if you don’t know much about him or know him, it does take more homework to really get into the nuts and bolts of *how* Brian’s intermittent oddness in interviews works. It isn’t as simple as “he has had mental health issues in the past and those issues can still impact modern interviews.” His moods and idiosyncrasies do play a role as well. You gotta be pretty good to steer a Brian interview that’s starting to go off the rails, and a sports talk guy usually isn’t the guy to do that.

Perhaps even more egregious and less professional was Valvano’s bits about essentially telling people to not go Brian’s show because he’s a dick. Indeed, many a sports personality is a dick too, and I’m guessing Valvano doesn’t regularly call for boycotts of teams and leagues.

Bottom line, I do think Brian and his team made a bad decision to book an interview like this. But they certainly didn’t mean anybody any harm, and had no ill intentions. Conversely, Valvano, even while apparently *trying* to sort of be empathetic, came off poorly and more ill-intentioned by actively calling for people not to see Brian’s show, and for opening up a can of worms on Twitter which, ANYBODY who knows ANYTHING about Twitter, knows will immediately blow up into a cesspool of Twitter garbage who are going to say awful things about Brian.

I can understand what you're saying and I'm not one to ra-ra people just because I love their music. But I would guess that the Brian team doesn't have too much leeway in terms of who interviews him, especially in smaller markets like Louisville, Kentucky, which isn't tiny but is hardly New York and LA. If a promoter wants interviews (and I would imagine that many of them would openly prefer their headliner be the one to actually do the interview versus a lesser known member of the band, however important Al Jardine might be to all of us), I could imagine that it would be difficult to always find someone who suits Brian's requirements. I'm sure that this is something that Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, and Neil Young don't have to worry about but, unfortunately, Brian does.

I would agree that having him talk with someone like Al would be better. However, I can't imagine that even with them both being on tour together they'd both be always available at the same time. Again, ideally, it would be just preferable if Brian didn't have to do these types of things at all. And I don't fully think there is a connection between people who argue that Brian isn't being led around against his free will. I have no doubt that Brian has the freedom to do whatever he wants as far as his personal life is concerned but I also think that he's subject to the same insipid requirements of the industry that most other musicians are subject to.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #813 on: November 05, 2018, 10:11:18 AM »

Off to see the show on 11-4.  What can I expect.   This will be my 6th BW show since the first Pet Sounds tour.  Can't believe it has been nearly 20 years since BW hit the road with the Wondermints.

How was the show?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #814 on: November 05, 2018, 10:35:59 AM »

This reminds me a bit of the bit with Gary Usher and Bill Champlin in the "Usher Tapes" diaries book. In short, Champlin seemed to feel Brian's weirdness was largely a put-on, as if he was faking it to get attention and/or was just an egotistical guy only concerned with himself. He took issue with Brian laughing at his own (Brian's) jokes but nobody else's, and seemed to feel Brian was using Usher by way of Usher putting up all the resources for those '86 sessions. By 1986, and certainly in the "industry", there had to be some degree of understanding of Brian's issues/history, but Champlin clearly had little or no empathy on that topic.

Even 30+ years later, there are people who feel this way when coming across people like Brian. They may *say* they have empathy for past histories of mental issues (or they may not even say that), but on some level they're just really, really skeptical and have little or no empathy. Perhaps even more so in cases like Brian's where he's typically fully functional, doing shows, recording, giving interviews, etc.

I guess, as a very general rule, it's worth cutting people more slack the farther back in time you go, as people 30-40-50+ years ago didn't know and/or didn't have access to information to allow them to have an understanding and thus empathy for all sorts of issues.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #815 on: November 05, 2018, 10:38:54 AM »

I can understand what you're saying and I'm not one to ra-ra people just because I love their music. But I would guess that the Brian team doesn't have too much leeway in terms of who interviews him, especially in smaller markets like Louisville, Kentucky, which isn't tiny but is hardly New York and LA. If a promoter wants interviews (and I would imagine that many of them would openly prefer their headliner be the one to actually do the interview versus a lesser known member of the band, however important Al Jardine might be to all of us), I could imagine that it would be difficult to always find someone who suits Brian's requirements. I'm sure that this is something that Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, and Neil Young don't have to worry about but, unfortunately, Brian does.

I would agree that having him talk with someone like Al would be better. However, I can't imagine that even with them both being on tour together they'd both be always available at the same time. Again, ideally, it would be just preferable if Brian didn't have to do these types of things at all. And I don't fully think there is a connection between people who argue that Brian isn't being led around against his free will. I have no doubt that Brian has the freedom to do whatever he wants as far as his personal life is concerned but I also think that he's subject to the same insipid requirements of the industry that most other musicians are subject to.

I don't know the precise typical promotional schedule Brian has in each market. I've never had the sense he does radio interviews in every market he hits.

I hadn't thought of the idea that a promoter may have asked for the interview rather than Brian's agent/tour manager, etc.

But either way, they should steer clear of sports radio talk guys, generally speaking, and they should also feel the situation out close to air time and see if Brian's having a bad day such that an interview will do more harm than good (e.g. your interviewer posting on Twitter after the interview instructing people to NOT go to the show).

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: November 05, 2018, 11:58:50 AM »

Just saw Al comment on Facebook that Matt is taking some time off to spend with his family.  Not sure if that means he’ll be gone the whole tour.

RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: November 05, 2018, 01:08:41 PM »

I'll be at the Kennedy Center this evening, Row 3 Center in my Pet Sounds 2016 Shirt..."The Final Performances" LOL  LOL
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: November 05, 2018, 01:10:01 PM »

Wow, that Valvano guy is an absolutely worthless sack of sh*t.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #819 on: November 05, 2018, 01:17:46 PM »

I'll be at the Kennedy Center this evening, Row 3 Center in my Pet Sounds 2016 Shirt..."The Final Performances" LOL  LOL

Enjoy the show!

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: November 05, 2018, 01:37:23 PM »

I listened to the interview and thought Valvano did all he could to get Brian to talk. It was pretty obvious to me that Brian just doesn't like doing these interviews anymore. Everyone asks him the same old tired questions, and he's bored with it. Bob Dylan hates interviews, but at least he'll say something just to get a reaction out of people. Brian should not have to do this stuff anymore. I'm not even sure he should be touring at this stage, but I accept that's how he's going to spend the rest of his life - it pays the bills. But stop the interviews, I don't think these things are going to get more people out to the shows.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: November 05, 2018, 03:03:26 PM »

I don't know.  I listened to the whole thing and I think that Brian didn't actually sound bored or disengaged, he just gave simple, one-word answers.  I thought I heard some slight interest or feeling in some of those yesses or nos.  Smiley  Anyway, the man is a 76-year old legend with well-known issues.  If the interview doesn't go the way you'd hoped, suck it up.  It's not like Brian was being awful.  Bottom line, he did technically answer all of the questions.  The hosts should have just let the whole thing go with some grace. 

On the other hand, I guess this helps ensure that mindless idiots won't be buying tix, which isn't a bad thing Smiley
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: November 05, 2018, 03:17:01 PM »

It's always interesting when people get upset with Brian. Honestly, he shouldn't really be doing interviews. He obviously dislikes them.

There's an infamous story of when Wayne Coyne from the Flaming Lips filmed an unaired video interview with Brian for HBO's "Reverb" in '99 that was apparently very awkward and uncomfortable. Coyne later trashed him many times in the press afterwards, and also thinks his situation is a "put on".

Here's the text interview:
http://www.stopsmilingonline.com/story_detail.php?id=224

And here's Coyne's thoughts on Brian:

SS: From your interview with Brian Wilson, the one for HBO ? do you really think that Brian is a genius??

WC: I think genius is weird. It is something that happens. But I don't think people are born that way. I'm not in contempt of him, though. I just hate that if someone is drug-damaged, or eccentric, or possibly mad, people will let them sh*t all over themselves thinking, Isn't he [and out of respect, she] cool?"

Humans should have some sort of behavioral standards at some point in time. I don't care what you do. I don't care if you're the greatest artist. You have to be a good human first! But I don't think that people are geniuses, per se. I think anyone is capable of doing anything that could be considered "genius." I think it's a combination of persistence and some intention, and then some luck and then a little bit more luck, and then just the world being ready for what it is, and then it's considered genius. And it's a lot of accidents and a lot of timing. ...

SS: So do you view Brian more as a "pop guru?" And what about Pet Sounds? I mean, it's a great record, but I think the press has gone way overboard in recent years.

WC: Unfortunately, he's driven by that press -- how he always needs to be in the limelight of things.

SS: He's an American, though, born and raised.

WC: I think he can be a fool, because he needs people to pay attention to him. He's got the Elvis Presley syndrome. He wants everyone to say, "You're great! You're great!" I think he surrounds himself with people who are like, "Brian, the way you eat cereal ? you're a genius. Brian, the way that you wipe your ass, it's genius." I've found it off-putting at times.

But later on, I was like, "Well, if he's such a genius, why can't he talk." He's been asked about his music, like, everyday of his fucking life, so you'd think that he'd have something to say about it, besides, "Well, the Beatles are great." I know they are, Brian. Now, do you remember any of the ideas that you put into your music?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #823 on: November 05, 2018, 04:52:30 PM »

I respect him as a musician but Wayne was way off base with that

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: November 05, 2018, 05:18:11 PM »

I respect him as a musician but Wayne was way off base with that

I guess he's softened with age.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx