gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:08:41 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 45 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - 2018 Tour Thread  (Read 272414 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #750 on: August 17, 2018, 10:24:19 AM »

Updated the top post schedule to reflect that the 8/26 show has been canceled (it appears the entire day's festival has been canceled including other acts).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #751 on: August 17, 2018, 11:16:19 AM »

I hope someday Brian gets to retire, sit back, relax, take pride in his accomplishments, relieved of the pressure to do another show, write another hit, be the Brian the whole world still wants him to be.
I said this in the thread discussing Mike Nesmith's recent heart surgery and decision to continue his plans to tour in the fall...retirement is not a thing for someone like Brian.  Brian has never worked a 9-to-5 job.  He goes out on tour for a few weeks at a time, then is back home.  Not saying that touring is always easy, but it sure ain't breaking bricks in the hot sun.  Brian has a lot of time to be at home and do what he wants to do.  There's no daily grind that he needs to hang up and retire from.   A man needs a reason to get up in the morning, and not everyone just wants to lie around all day - that's how you end up dead. 

Further, in listening to a number of fans/insiders/associates, it also appears clear that when Brian *actually* really doesn't want to do something, he doesn't do it. He'll make it clear, even if more by action (or inaction) rather than calling a meeting and saying "I don't want to do this", when he doesn't want to do something.
Exactly.  And in almost 20 years of going out on the road solo, Brian has never not done a show.  He never cancelled because the vibes were bad.  Only a handful of shows have been cancelled, and most were because of other circumstances and not because Brian refused to perform.  If he really didn't want to tour, he would have either curled up in a ball pulled a disappearing act or done something really embarrassing.  If he's out there, it's because he wants to be out there.  I've never seen evidence to the contrary.

Look at all of the crap Brian has survived in his life.  That man is stronger than any of us can imagine.  Yet there are fans who insist that he is weak, easily manipulated, taken advantage of, and being forced to do whatever.  I don't get it.

I don’t get it either, at all.

Great post

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #752 on: August 17, 2018, 12:32:39 PM »

"Good Vibrations" from last night's stellar Berlin show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qKEI0Qogvg

I took my mom and she was moved to tears. First row helped.  Cheesy And yes, Al did acknowledge my KEEP IT CLEAN.. shirt. Grin
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #753 on: August 17, 2018, 03:25:52 PM »

I hope someday Brian gets to retire, sit back, relax, take pride in his accomplishments, relieved of the pressure to do another show, write another hit, be the Brian the whole world still wants him to be.
I said this in the thread discussing Mike Nesmith's recent heart surgery and decision to continue his plans to tour in the fall...retirement is not a thing for someone like Brian.  Brian has never worked a 9-to-5 job.  He goes out on tour for a few weeks at a time, then is back home.  Not saying that touring is always easy, but it sure ain't breaking bricks in the hot sun.  Brian has a lot of time to be at home and do what he wants to do.  There's no daily grind that he needs to hang up and retire from.   A man needs a reason to get up in the morning, and not everyone just wants to lie around all day - that's how you end up dead. 

Further, in listening to a number of fans/insiders/associates, it also appears clear that when Brian *actually* really doesn't want to do something, he doesn't do it. He'll make it clear, even if more by action (or inaction) rather than calling a meeting and saying "I don't want to do this", when he doesn't want to do something.
Exactly.  And in almost 20 years of going out on the road solo, Brian has never not done a show.  He never cancelled because the vibes were bad.  Only a handful of shows have been cancelled, and most were because of other circumstances and not because Brian refused to perform.  If he really didn't want to tour, he would have either curled up in a ball pulled a disappearing act or done something really embarrassing.  If he's out there, it's because he wants to be out there.  I've never seen evidence to the contrary.

Look at all of the crap Brian has survived in his life.  That man is stronger than any of us can imagine.  Yet there are fans who insist that he is weak, easily manipulated, taken advantage of, and being forced to do whatever.  I don't get it.
Right. I was mistaken in thinking that from 1983 to 1992, Brian was being manipulated, taken advantage of, and being forced to do whatever by Dr. Eugene Landy. Obviously, Brian wanted to be under Landy's care. If he had wanted Landy to leave, he would have simply said "Gene, go away".
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #754 on: August 17, 2018, 09:48:33 PM »

Those of you who are saying "WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY DOESN'T BRIAN JUST RETIRE AND DO WHAT HE WAAAAAAAANTS!?!?!?"

He actually commented on that recently. Why don'tcha do the research and learn the answer?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #755 on: August 17, 2018, 09:50:41 PM »

Right. I was mistaken in thinking that from 1983 to 1992, Brian was being manipulated, taken advantage of, and being forced to do whatever by Dr. Eugene Landy. Obviously, Brian wanted to be under Landy's care. If he had wanted Landy to leave, he would have simply said "Gene, go away".

(Now I remember why I took a hiatus from this board. Good grief.)

So who's giving him brain-melting drugs now that turn him to mush so he can't really resist?

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #756 on: August 17, 2018, 09:58:52 PM »

(Now I remember why I took a hiatus from this board. Good grief.)

So who's giving him brain-melting drugs now that turn him to mush so he can't really resist?

Never mind the fact that as Brian's conservator he basically had complete control over him from a legal standpoint. If he had spoken up, Landy very well could have had him committed. There is a similar situation going on albeit to a lesser level with Britney Spears and her conservator dad.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: August 18, 2018, 01:16:30 AM »

Al did acknowledge my KEEP IT CLEAN.. shirt. Grin
Al's really lucky his last name rhymes with the slogan. Cool news! Should've given Al distant high-5. 3D

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: August 18, 2018, 07:22:40 AM »

Al did acknowledge my KEEP IT CLEAN.. shirt. Grin
Al's really lucky his last name rhymes with the slogan. Cool news! Should've given Al distant high-5. 3D
I gave him a thumbs-up. Grin
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #759 on: August 18, 2018, 07:28:22 AM »

Lowbacca! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #760 on: August 18, 2018, 12:04:01 PM »

LOL

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #761 on: August 19, 2018, 12:51:34 AM »

"Good Vibrations" from last night's stellar Berlin show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qKEI0Qogvg

I took my mom and she was moved to tears. First row helped.  Cheesy And yes, Al did acknowledge my KEEP IT CLEAN.. shirt. Grin
Sorry, but that's just terrible. Long Beach 1981 level terrible.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #762 on: August 19, 2018, 11:36:20 AM »

Sorry, but that's just terrible. Long Beach 1981 level terrible.

It’s not a pure, vocally pristine performance, but Long Beach 1981-level? That’s a bit harsh.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #763 on: August 19, 2018, 08:01:19 PM »

Yeah I don’t know if I’d go quite that far.He looked more tired than anything but was not anywhere near 1981 levels. He looked like he was ready to get the f*** out of there but I’ve seen that a good amount towards the end of a show, and it’s even more to be expected after back surgery.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #764 on: August 19, 2018, 08:11:00 PM »

Maybe I was a bit harsh, but not by much. At least he went for those higher notes. But if you compare the phrasing of certain words, it does sound a bit like his vocals from the 1981 shows. I think perhaps it would do him good to take a good six months off the road for his back to heal.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #765 on: August 19, 2018, 11:12:56 PM »

From what I’ve been reading the earlier parts of the show was great . Probably got tired

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #766 on: August 20, 2018, 02:04:43 AM »

Sitting down on a bench or stool for over two hours isn't good for the back. He probably couldn't wait to get offstage. That being said, poor performances can be easily avoided by cutting the set list in half, or having intermissions during the shows. If we can tell when Brian isn't at his best, then surely the band and wifeandmanager can.

Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #767 on: August 21, 2018, 02:43:40 AM »

Berlin show was very good. Camera focusing during parts where Brian is not singing gives a different view. His voice and phrasing is definitely getting worse but he seemed to be enjoying the show as far as I could tell and I may be imagining it but he seems to sing better when he is moving his hands around.

Band was top class as usual, Al was great and special mention to Blondie who has really tightened up his section of the show IMO with less improvising and stronger vocals....feel flows, wild honey and sail on sailor were all really good.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #768 on: August 21, 2018, 03:05:47 AM »

I dislike phrase "wifeandmanagers". If we apply it to Brian, we must apply it to Mike. Or don't use it to either.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #769 on: August 21, 2018, 04:01:24 AM »

In Edinburgh on Sunday, Brian was fully engaged and sang well. More importantly, he appeared happy and more mobile than recent times, although it was sensible to let him open...and remain, seated . He does get breathless on wordy or long lines of lyrics but that happens to many !
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #770 on: August 21, 2018, 09:04:14 AM »

I dislike phrase "wifeandmanagers". If we apply it to Brian, we must apply it to Mike. Or don't use it to either.
I think by now it's become sort of a sarcastic joke.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #771 on: August 21, 2018, 10:46:28 AM »

Depends on who is saying it. You and I joke around about it all the time in a sarcastic manner but we all know a few people who are dead serious when they use that phrase 🙄

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #772 on: August 21, 2018, 12:01:41 PM »

The ironic thing about talking about "wife and manager" stuff is that Mike has those same people around him, also surely intertwined to varying degrees in his career/business.

Let us not forgot that one "Jacquelyne Love" is listed as a member of Mike's "MELECO" company:

https://bizstanding.com/directory/NV/ME/256/

Here she is listed as a "Managing Member":

https://www.nvsos.gov/sosentitysearch/CorpDetails.aspx?lx8nvq=6pDA%252bbeRnbuTb7elocmg1g%253d%253d&nt7=0

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #773 on: August 21, 2018, 05:38:10 PM »

Well done! Mike HAS management team, fans musn't deny it. But for strange reasons, they fear to admit it. Bizarre lot.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #774 on: August 21, 2018, 06:28:43 PM »

Depends on who is saying it. You and I joke around about it all the time in a sarcastic manner but we all know a few people who are dead serious when they use that phrase 🙄
*cough* A certain “researcher”....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 [31] 32 33 34 35 36 ... 45 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx